Charge for shipping medallions

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

So I have a different take on this and believe it’ll slow down the check in process.  Hear me out

So they are asking passengers to pay to get them shipped in advance as part of their cost cutting measures

And if they are controlling costs, I don’t see them adding check in staff to the area dedicated to giving you your medallion

So if you put all passengers through the line to pick up medallions versus a small minority currently needing to do that, you’ll have roughly 5x the number of people going through the medallion line that hasn’t increased staffing

Its definitely going to slow things down

I’m not sure how you came up with the  estimate that 5X as many passengers will pick up medallions now that shipping is not free. Are you only considering cruises from ports in the US? What percentage of passengers do you think pick them up now? 

For passengers who are US residents, what percentage do you think have packages that will include free shipping? For sailings from US ports that may be a pretty significant number 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

That will never happen.

You will always need to show a passport (or other acceptable alternative for some cruise itineraries).

I think it is possible in the future. I’m not sure when, but I definitely think it could happen.

It wasn’t that long ago that we wouldn’t have been able to imagine going through customs at the end of a cruise using facial recognition instead of showing a passport.

I only read the last few pages, but I get how some are upset.

And yes, I'm one of those that are frugal, so I'll just probably pick ours up at the terminal.

But, I don't think that's doable if one wants a custom medallion.  I collect mine and I like some of the custom options.

It appears that one has to get it shipped to ones residence since I doubt they'd have the custom ones available at check-in.

To those that have picked them them up at the terminal, is your name and date of cruise on the ring of the medallion?  They are on the ones shipped out.

Finally, minor point, but is it $10/person or total order.  I suspect it's total as both of ours came in one package with the previous cruises.

TIA

2 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

To those that have picked them them up at the terminal, is your name and date of cruise on the ring of the medallion? 

TIA

I am about 90% certain it was.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

To those that have picked them them up at the terminal, is your name and date of cruise on the ring of the medallion?  They are on the ones shipped out.

Yes, your name, the ship's name and the embarkation date are on the medallions picked up at the terminal. Even if you have to get a replacement on board at Guest Services, it will have the same markings. Obviously each ship has the facilities to add stickers and lettering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

And yes, I'm one of those that are frugal, so I'll just probably pick ours up at the terminal.

But, I don't think that's doable if one wants a custom medallion.  I collect mine and I like some of the custom options.

It appears that one has to get it shipped to ones residence since I doubt they'd have the custom ones available at check-in.

Although ship personnel have the ability to make the Medallions, I doubt they make the ones that are picked up at check-in on embarkation day except maybe those for last minute bookings.

I think all the ones ordered over the Internet, both standard and customized, are made elsewhere (probably China ?). The ones that are not shipped to homes are shipped to the appropriate ports.

After you customize your options on the Internet, it asks if you want to pick it up at the port or shipped to your home.

Thus the custom options are available for the ones picked up at the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, dennisdel said:

On principle, I called Princess this morning and discussed this with customer service rep.  All they would do was cancel ship-to-home and re-order for pickup at dock.  I had rep pull up FAQ's and read item 40. which clearly states Plus package enables free shipping.  Rep didn't budge...I am still picking up at dock and wasted 45 minutes of my life for nothing.

I did the same thing.  Ultimately I paid their $10, but it left me feeling like I'd been lied to. Actually I don't feel like I've been lied to, I WAS lied to.  

I plan on calling princess sometime before we leave and asking for this charge to be added as REFUNDABLE onboard credit.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

Although ship personnel have the ability to make the Medallions, I doubt they make the ones that are picked up at check-in on embarkation day except maybe those for last minute bookings.

I think all the ones ordered over the Internet, both standard and customized, are made elsewhere (probably China ?). The ones that are not shipped to homes are shipped to the appropriate ports.

After you customize your options on the Internet, it asks if you want to pick it up at the port or shipped to your home.

Thus the custom options are available for the ones picked up at the port.

I caught Guest Services Officers carrying bins and bins of the Medallions in ziplocks on the gangway in preparation for the incoming passengers as I was disembarking from the Royal Princess in San Francisco.  I asked the one of the GS Officers and he confirmed that all 1000 plus quantities of the port pick Medallions they were wheeling off the ship made sometime in the week prior.  He further added that it was the crew in charge of uniforms on the Royal Princess whose responsibility it was in their down time. 

On a recent cruise, there was a couple in front of me who got the custom image fee refunded at Guest Services as OBC because the ship had run out of Medallions with the design they wanted and they got stuck with the loyalty color variety. 

When my Medallion's battery died and I had to get a replacement, the GS Officer told me that the Medallions were easier to laser engrave than the plastic cards because they did not have to wait for the printer to warm up and cool down.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I caught Guest Services Officers carrying bins and bins of the Medallions in ziplocks on the gangway in preparation for the incoming passengers as I was disembarking from the Royal Princess in San Francisco.  I asked the one of the GS Officers and he confirmed that all 1000 plus quantities of the port pick Medallions they were wheeling off the ship made sometime in the week prior.  He further added that it was the crew in charge of uniforms on the Royal Princess whose responsibility it was in their down time. 

Thanks for proving the correct information.

I do not know how long it takes to create each Medallion on board, especially when there are so many customizations involved and placing them in zip-lock bags and organizing them in some way to be easily found at check-in.

But assuming it takes one minute each and assuming 50% of passengers will pick up at the port, for a Royal class ship it would take about 30 hours of work to create them.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 1:52 PM, dennisdel said:

I have the Plus package and am Elite but was still charged $10.  On principle, I called Princess this morning and discussed this with customer service rep.  All they would do was cancel ship-to-home and re-order for pickup at dock.  I had rep pull up FAQ's and read item 40. which clearly states Plus package enables free shipping.  Rep didn't budge...I am still picking up at dock and wasted 45 minutes of my life for nothing.

I wonder if those who booked with the Premier package are also having the same problem.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:35 AM, Loritd said:

I ordered mine last night for a September sailing with standard package, no charge. We are elite, could that be a factor?

Ordered ours too for a November sailing with the Plus Package (Elite Status) and was charged the shipping fee.  Really confused how this is working. 

11 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I caught Guest Services Officers carrying bins and bins of the Medallions in ziplocks on the gangway in preparation for the incoming passengers

By the cruise line that takes pride in how much single-use plastic it has eliminated

11 hours ago, SCX22 said:

That make sense, as that is how they use to prepare cruise cards for the next cruise ... they were printed on board.

It probably doesn't matter for cruises departing from US ports, but it could be a huge problem if they tried to ship

a ship's worth of medallions to some international port.

Imagine if they got stuck in customs!?!?

On 2/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, dennisdel said:

Just ordered medallions for upcoming June cruise.  I have the Plus package and am Elite but was still charged $10.  On principle, I called Princess this morning and discussed this with customer service rep.  All they would do was cancel ship-to-home and re-order for pickup at dock.  I had rep pull up FAQ's and read item 40. which clearly states Plus package enables free shipping.  Rep didn't budge...I am still picking up at dock and wasted 45 minutes of my life for nothing.

I tried to get an address to send e-mail or letter to Princess management so they would change their website FAQ's but rep wouldn't help me and kept saying she would take care of it.

Poor corporate management, making customers angry over $10!!

I might call back and get a different rep. What happened to you is obviously wrong. I am not getting charged (have the Plus package) and it specifically says in my booking confirmation '*FREE MEDALLION SHIPPING prior to sailing'...they should be able to look at your confirmation and see that it is free...(at least I *think* they have access to it...)

I feel your frustration...good luck!

Edited by dlh015

One possible reason for *everyone* being charged $10 right now is that they haven't put the system completely in place as yet (big surprise, right?) and people ordering them right now (say for a November cruise) are showing a $10 charge. If that is the case, it will likely be fixed by mailing time.

Or one can hope...lol...

Has the charge actually hit anyone's credit card for their future cruise??  They won't ship it until about 10 days before sailing...

BTW, I think it is a great idea to ask for that $10 OBC (refundable) if one is actually charged the fee!

Edited by dlh015

14 hours ago, caribill said:

By the cruise line that takes pride in how much single-use plastic it has eliminated

I'm convinced that most of Princess's stance on protecting the environment is only for show. They certainly wouldn't want to irritate the Woke crowd.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm convinced that most of Princess's stance on protecting the environment is only for show. They certainly wouldn't want to irritate the Woke crowd.

Woke crowd??

You need to read and/or listen to some different 'news' sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm convinced that most of Princess's stance on protecting the environment is only for show. They

No, it is to save $$$$.

No wrapped chocolates on pillows? Save $$$

Bulk cereal dispensers instead of individual brand-name boxes in the buffet? Save purchase $$$ as well as reduce variety available (less inventory costs) and no need to have actual known brand names.

No individually wrapped soap bars? Save $$$ by buying bulk liquid soap.

etc.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

No, it is to save $$$$.

No wrapped chocolates on pillows? Save $$$

Bulk cereal dispensers instead of individual brand-name boxes in the buffet? Save purchase $$$ as well as reduce variety available (less inventory costs) and no need to have actual known brand names.

No individually wrapped soap bars? Save $$$ by buying bulk liquid soap.

etc.

I suppose most of it revolves around money but eliminating chocolates was redickious.  You can get as much chocolate at the buffet as you like. - morning and night.