Charge for shipping medallions

I will be doing my first medallion cruise this summer.  Are they actually going to charge me shipping for me to get something that Princess is going to force me to use and that I do not want?

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

I posted earlier that Princess managed to distribute key cards at the port, pre Medallion. Had another thought…if enough people refuse to pay for shipping the medallion and it causes Princess a problem, maybe they would revert back to free shipping.

It doesn’t generally affect us as Medallions are not shipped to UK for USA cruises, so I must have too much time on my hands !!!!!

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I will be doing my first medallion cruise this summer.  Are they actually going to charge me shipping for me to get something that Princess is going to force me to use and that I do not want?

DON

You don't really have to use a medallion.  You can get either a card or medallion at the port. 

27 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Had another thought…if enough people refuse to pay for shipping the medallion and it causes Princess a problem, maybe they would revert back to free 

I suspect they'll never return to free shipping.  When we boarded last week, we had our medallions and still had to get checked in with our passports. It didn’t save. much time to have all the info pre entered into the system. 

On 2/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, Cruise till you drop said:

I am surprised with this direction as the embarkation process is usually so smooth and partially because many already have their medallions.  There are a few that pick them up at the terminal but it’s also quick because there are so few.

If many people don’t want to pay the $10, it only delays embarkation for everyone in my opinion and that will only lead to more dissatisfied passengers

I think it depends on your embarkation port. It certainly isn’t true anywhere outside the US that very few people are without medallions since only US residents can receive them ahead of time. Things won’t change much in those areas.

In US ports, a lot will depend on how many have the Plus or Premium packages and chose to have medallions shipped . My guess is that it’s a pretty significant percentage of passengers.

I’ve been on a cruise out of Port Everglades a few months ago where no one had a medallion as there was some issue that caused them not to be ready in time to ship. It added maybe five minutes to the check-in process even that day when everyone had to get them at the port. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

They only charge if you want it mailed ahead of the cruise.   Just pick it up at the terminal on check in.  It will add about 10 seconds, if that, to your wait time.  Personally,  I have no need to receive the medallion earlier than that.   

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, ldubs said:

They only charge if you want it mailed ahead of the cruise.   Just pick it up at the terminal on check in.  It will add about 10 seconds, if that, to your wait time.  Personally,  I have no need to receive the medallion earlier than that.   

I don't know about 10 seconds but at Ft. Lauderdale even having a medallion when you enter the terminal doesn't seem to save much time anyway. 

Everyone has to go to an agent (maybe 20 of them at a portable station in front of the permanent desk to have their docs checked out. They take your docs to the desk while you stand there for 4 or 5 minutes. 

Having all the info prefilled out didn’t seem to save any time at all, so why pay $10 for the privilege?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, jwattle said:

We love that feeling when we get the box; deliberately slooooowly opening it, savoring each little package opening like a Christmas present unveiling or a new gourmet dish...feeling that little shiver of delayed pleasure as the next layer of box or packing is revealed...until finally, eventually, you see the glimmer as your new shiny medallion peeks out at you with the promise of "come aboard...we're expecting you!"

can't wait to enjoy that again!

Kinda like when we used to get our documents in the mail and we just HAD to do the Doc Dance!  LOL!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:41 AM, eclue said:

They are going to be very busy at the port with all the pick ups!!!

For cruises which start in the USA, if only those who booked without Plus or Premier package (and those not living in USA) have to pick them up, it will likely be less than 25% of the passengers who will need to do that.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, MissP22 said:

Everyone has to go to an agent (maybe 20 of them at a portable station in front of the permanent desk to have their docs checked out. They take your docs to the desk while you stand there for 4 or 5 minutes. 

Were both those with and those without the Medallions in the same line or was there a separate line for those picking up the Medallions at the port?

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Were both those with and those without the Medallions in the same line or was there a separate line for those picking up the Medallions at the port?

I can't say. Everyone was forced to go to an agent for check in.

As far as I see it having  a medallion before hand does nothing to speed up the check in process except make me $10 poorer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I was not aware of whether the lines were separate but DH seems to remember there was a table that you had to stop at to pick up Medallions?   But we had our Medallions and just went where they told us to on the Elite/Suite line.....I believe eventually we all went to a rep standing at a podium type thingie where we were checked in.  We were on the ship about 15 minutes from when we entered the terminal.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, MissP22 said:

By trying to save a few cents each by stocking medallions without lanyards wouldn't be worth the trouble. 

Ours go right in the trash can as soon as they arrived.

i hear ya. I have various lanyard and holders too but DH uses the included one.  I do use my included one in the pool however and usually use that one off the ship on excursions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I was not aware of whether the lines were separate but DH seems to remember there was a table that you had to stop at to pick up Medallions?   But we had our Medallions and just went where they told us to on the Elite/Suite line.....I believe eventually we all went to a rep standing at a podium type thingie where we were checked in.  We were on the ship about 15 minutes from when we entered the terminal.

You have to stop at a podium with or without a medallion. 

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

But it might make it faster for those who already have the Medallion...just one less "stop" on the way on.

I have been on 5 post pandemic cruises. All with my medallion in hand,  Never was I able to do as described….scan my medallion and walk on the ship.  Each embarkation required a stop and talk to an agent.  Granted…it was to verify vaccines and tests, but also had to show passport.

Now that some cruises are test free, has anyone scanned and boarded?

25 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That will never happen.

You will always need to show a passport (or other acceptable alternative for some cruise itineraries).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I can't say. Everyone was forced to go to an agent for check in.

As far as I see it having  a medallion before hand does nothing to speed up the check in process except make me $10 poorer. 

So I have a different take on this and believe it’ll slow down the check in process.  Hear me out

So they are asking passengers to pay to get them shipped in advance as part of their cost cutting measures

And if they are controlling costs, I don’t see them adding check in staff to the area dedicated to giving you your medallion

So if you put all passengers through the line to pick up medallions versus a small minority currently needing to do that, you’ll have roughly 5x the number of people going through the medallion line that hasn’t increased staffing

Its definitely going to slow things down

• Like 1

Just ordered medallions for upcoming June cruise.  I have the Plus package and am Elite but was still charged $10.  On principle, I called Princess this morning and discussed this with customer service rep.  All they would do was cancel ship-to-home and re-order for pickup at dock.  I had rep pull up FAQ's and read item 40. which clearly states Plus package enables free shipping.  Rep didn't budge...I am still picking up at dock and wasted 45 minutes of my life for nothing.

I tried to get an address to send e-mail or letter to Princess management so they would change their website FAQ's but rep wouldn't help me and kept saying she would take care of it.

Poor corporate management, making customers angry over $10!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been on 5 post pandemic cruises. All with my medallion in hand,  Never was I able to do as described….scan my medallion and walk on the ship.  Each embarkation required a stop and talk to an agent.  Granted…it was to verify vaccines and tests, but also had to show passport.

No, you still have to stop and we had to show our Passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dennisdel said:

Just ordered medallions for upcoming June cruise.  I have the Plus package and am Elite but was still charged $10.  On principle, I called Princess this morning and discussed this with customer service rep.  All they would do was cancel ship-to-home and re-order for pickup at dock.  I had rep pull up FAQ's and read item 40. which clearly states Plus package enables free shipping.  Rep didn't budge...I am still picking up at dock and wasted 45 minutes of my life for nothing.

I tried to get an address to send e-mail or letter to Princess management so they would change their website FAQ's but rep wouldn't help me and kept saying she would take care of it.

Poor corporate management, making customers angry over $10!!

We didn't have to pay with the Plus package.
Maybe give the Chat feature a try?

Edited by suzyed