Rome airport travel time

gotravel

37 minutes ago, gotravel said:

Oceania has us on a 11:05 flight from Rome to Chicago. The ship is scheduled to dock at 8:00 AM. Does this give us enough time or should we try to change to a later flight?

I’ve only flown out of Rome twice and both times it was a zoo. It’s about a 45 minute drive from the pier. I think you’re cutting it to close for comfort especially since on both occasions we didn’t deboard until closer to 8:30-8:45.

Right.  Docking at 8:00 doesn't mean "walking off the boat" at 8:00.  You may be delayed by customs & immigration deciding to be persnickety; by luggage being slooowly off-loaded and arranged for claiming, and O won't let you disembark until your color is ready (as happened to us); by lack of available taxis causing you to stand and wait impatiently; and/or by Italian traffic on the highway.  

You'll be lucky to get to Fiumicino by 10:00, too late to check your luggage (which may be too large to carry onto the plane), and boarding typically closes 45 minutes before departure on an international flight so you wouldn't make it through security, passport control and finding your gate in time.

• Like 1

Recommendations for those boarding flights to the US are to be AT the airport three hours prior to your flight departure. Often it does not take that long, but sometimes it CAN, especially when passengers from more than one cruise ship all show up...

It takes just inside an hour from Civitavecchia to FCO airport. There's no way I'd go with the flight you mention -- but then I am not a risk taker.

(just FYI, I've flown in/out of Rome/FCO upwards of 25 times....)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is an hour drive at the best of times from Civitavecchia to Leonardo da Vinci Airport (FCO).  Rome airport is a zoo normally and it depends on what day you are travelling it could be worse.

In my opinion, there will be very little chance of you making your flight at 11:00.

We have always stayed the extra day in Civitavecchia. We have stayed at Hotel San Georgio many times. Leave the next day about 6 AM and that gives you enough time to check in and get through security in the prescribed times

While I agree with all the comments above there’s one thing that needs to be taken in the consideration. It’s often that the ship is earlier in the port of disembarkation. Oceania suppose to provide an airport transfer whenever the air booked with them, so they may arrange this transfer before the disembarkation posted time. 

My guess that’s not the fist time Oceania booked people on that flight out of FCO to Chicago. Anyway, I would think that you need to contact O air department to clear the situation and about the possibility to change you air arrangements.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, osandomir said:

While I agree with all the comments above there’s one thing that needs to be taken in the consideration. It’s often that the ship is earlier in the port of disembarkation. Oceania suppose to provide an airport transfer whenever the air booked with them, so they may arrange this transfer before the disembarkation posted time. 

My guess that’s not the fist time Oceania booked people on that flight out of FCO to Chicago. Anyway, I would think that you need to contact O air department to clear the situation and about the possibility to change you air arrangements.

Best post on the thread. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sitraveler said:

If it’s an O ticket, no problem.  They do know what they are doing 

OK, if that flight works most of the time, O will book pax on that flight. But if the “traffic gods” aren’t smiling that day and you miss your flight, then you’re the one inconvenienced. OP, How will you feel if you miss your flight? Even worse, will you have this worry in your head during the whole cruise? I wouldn’t accept that flight itin. 
OP, Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I understand the cruise line should know what they are doing, but I am not a risk taker, especially in a foreign country! I once took a cruise out of Los Angeles, and had a 11 AM flight from LAX for a business trip out of the country with a layover in MIA, it was the only flight that would get me to work in time. It was the MOST stressful experience of my life. The was no traffic getting to the airport, but the airport itself was a nightmare. I barely checked my bag in time, barely made it through security and RAN to the gate, barely making it in time to board, no time for a bathroom break! Granted, this isn't the same airport but the experience has made me NEVER book anything that tight again because of the anxiety it caused me. The stress is not worth it to me. However, when things like this do work out, it's a happy experience!! I have coworkers who always show up right before a flight. They say it works out most of the time and when it doesn't, they take the next flight. Just depends what kind of a risk taker you are, high risk, high reward. 🙂 

OP, enjoy your cruise, and make the best decision for you. 

I flew three times to Europe in 22. Coming back from Amsterdam was the worst. 3 hours from check in to gate. That’s counting from when we actually got to the check in counter, not the line for check in, and we were BC! We got there very early and it got worse. 

There were no “ next” flights on any of those days. Every flight we were on was overbooked with people being bounced, typically to another day.Easiest way to be bounced? Show up at the check in counter at less than an hour preflight. Automatic bounce. It may as well been two hours pre, because you wouldn’t make the gate anyway.

Rome airport is a zoo. It’s even confusing on where to even get in line to drop bags and check in. Then security. 

If you feel lucky, then go for it. If you miss your flight, don’t blame Oceania. You’ve been sufficiently warned.

• Like 1

A real consideration for that early 11:05 flight that recently happened to me. The airlines have no idea if one is on a cruise ship or sitting in a hotel. You’re a name in the computer bank.

What happens when at the 60 day final flight reshuffle that 11:05 flight becomes a 10:38 flight? Where and how are you in the pool of passengers to be notified of the change? What options will be left if you don’t find out until a week after the change was made? I was to be sitting in a hotel , so no big deal, I leave earlier. May not be an option from the ship.

• Like 1

We are on Sirena cruise returning to Ciccavechia for Rome Airport 16/5.

Our flight today has just been brought forward by 1.5 hrs to Manchester departing now 10.50 v original 12 40.

Like the Chicargo flight lady we are pushed now for time to catch flight if Oceania transfer doesn't leave early say 8am.

If anybody else on the cruise in the same predicament for a possible alternative transfer to be organised!

1 hour ago, Gerard01 said:

We are on Sirena cruise returning to Ciccavechia for Rome Airport 16/5.

Our flight today has just been brought forward by 1.5 hrs to Manchester departing now 10.50 v original 12 40.

I would ask them to change  the flight

JMO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When we fly home from Rome we always stay the night before at the Hilton Hotel at the airport. The next morning you can just walk out the hotel and enter the terminal. The best and fastest flight to the US leaves in the mornings.  The hotel also has a free shuttle that will take you to the center of Rome for the day and bring you back to the hotel.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

When we fly home from Rome we always stay the night before at the Hilton Hotel at the airport. The next morning you can just walk out the hotel and enter the terminal. The best and fastest flight to the US leaves in the mornings.  The hotel also has a free shuttle that will take you to the center of Rome for the day and bring you back to the hotel.  

We've done that as well. It was perfect, and very easy.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:51 PM, terrydtx said:

On 2/21/2023 at 9:51 PM, terrydtx said:

Also, arranged a great day tour after leaving the ship with RomeInLimo    They dropped us off at the Hilton at end of day.  We visited Civita and Orvieto

D7911F0C-7D17-4758-BDEE-CD27A71C70B9.jpeg

A2C024F1-5A33-4F24-A0BF-DAC95E5807DB.jpeg

06A9AB33-4596-4958-8A6F-3CBBA91DF133.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Also, arranged a great day tour after leaving the ship with RomeInLimo    They dropped us off at the Hilton at end of day.  We visited Civita and Orvieto

D7911F0C-7D17-4758-BDEE-CD27A71C70B9.jpeg

A2C024F1-5A33-4F24-A0BF-DAC95E5807DB.jpeg

06A9AB33-4596-4958-8A6F-3CBBA91DF133.jpeg

I loved going to that village, I felt like I was in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I would recommend anyone go there when in that area. 

4 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

We did a tour to Orvieto in 2007 from on a Med cruise and love the village and they make a spectacular white wine from local grown grapes that we love when we can find it at our wine store.