Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

It all sounds great.  Especially the sauteed onions, love 'em.  

I just have a thing of topping/condiment islands.  If there is no direct overwatch (a dedicated attendant) of the island, I can't utilize it.  Sounds like what you described is good to go, though. 

I understand. Since it's a small area and always busy (especially on sea days) it's easy for the staff (2) to keep it fresh. At least that's my observation. Also get your beer or whatever you're drinking at the bar cart right next to the grill. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

I just booked the Anthem for next January, a balcony for two for 11 nights. Total cost is $2800.  I think values are out there, you just have to look and be patient.

how's that a value? For the 3 of us this Anthem cruise in an OV balcony is 4,418.61 USD. NOT A GREAT VALUE!

I paid $2,800 for a 10 day cruise on Enchanted Princess for the 3 of us during Thanksgiving. 

Plus, like I said - we cruise with a school aged kid, so we have to cruise during school holidays.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

I just booked the Anthem for next January, a balcony for two for 11 nights. Total cost is $2800.  I think values are out there, you just have to look and be patient.

January out of where? Anthem sails only from Bayonne to the best of my knowledge and bookings. When did you lock down the prices?  What is the current cost of your cruise to someone who is looking for it right now?

What is total cost? The basic cabin fare and taxes? Does that include gratuities? Does that include taxes? Does that include parking? Does that include airfare? I love these numbers, please clue me in.

The first and second day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony? The second to last day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony?

Will it be usable in a balcony sort or way on those days?

You paid $2800 for eight usable days but how many days are sitting over at a port like Bermuda and not moving?

Let's look at paying at least $25 per day for parking. This is a best case scenario assuming your are within driving distance and do not need any sort of airfare.

Please frame such a quote with all of the associated discounts, caveats, and factual information.

I am VERY interested and want to imitate your extremely frugal cruise.

I want to learn from an expert on this board.

Show me the cruise, date, port, and how I can get such a great deal.

Please, I need your help.

Otherwise, stop posting nonsense.

• Haha 1

Cruise prices fluctuate.  I have been doing mock bookings for 2024.  We have a cruise this year and we cruise every year at the time.  The price for 2024 cruise right now is actually $350 cheaper now than what we paid for our cruise in 82 days.

I will agree though extras such as DBP and UDP are higher now than a year ago.  We paid $57 pp/pd for the DBP for 2022 and our cruise in 82 days we paid $67

1 hour ago, rjrpar said:

I can book an all-inclusive vacation at a luxury resort in Cancun for less than that for 11 nights, and all alcohol, activities, and infinite steak and lobster are included.  

Or, if I prefer to visit destinations, I can book an 11-night vacation in pretty much any country for way less than that for 2 people.  

We would need to add in airfare for all of those three vacations.

I am not sure what value I am getting out of the $2800 cruise compared to either of those two options.

On 2/5/2023 at 3:35 PM, HicksRA said:

Not considering changing lines but just considering a hiatus altogether for a while. Just got off a cruise and it was not enjoyable at all.

Food sucked. The menu is obviously redesigned to use cheaper ingredients and lesser amounts. The prime rib was definitely not prime. Mexican night is two slices of cheap skirt steak. Caribbean night was a dry tough pork chop with one slice of a plantain and a glob of rice. No more duck Al orange. Lamb shank instead of chops. Giovanni’s was still very good but the servings were cut in half. 
The clientele was for the most part Carnival rejects. 
Prices are up so much I’m not really even looking anymore. 
(Just my opinion. Flame me if you want)

Our last cruise, December Harmony prior to these changes, we ate every single meal in the MDR, WJ, or the Solarium bistro.  The food was mostly good, although the WJ was a bit of a miss.  On our next sailing after the changes, we booked the UDP….  I will be fine.  I can afford to pay more to have good food, and still get the things RCI does that make me want to sail with them.  That said, I hope (but do not believe) that they will go back to the way they used to do it. 

Long term, it has been obvious for a while that they want us to book specialty and pay more.  I guess I will oblige them.

jc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intent2smile said:

Cruise prices fluctuate.  I have been doing mock bookings for 2024.  We have a cruise this year and we cruise every year at the time.  The price for 2024 cruise right now is actually $350 cheaper now than what we paid for our cruise in 82 days.

I will agree though extras such as DBP and UDP are higher now than a year ago.  We paid $57 pp/pd for the DBP for 2022 and our cruise in 82 days we paid $67

I will argue that the cruise prices in 82 days are MUCH higher than what you paid a year ago. I wish people would stop posting these prices. They are not relevant now..

54 minutes ago, baelor said:

I can book an all-inclusive vacation at a luxury resort in Cancun for less than that for 11 nights, and all alcohol, activities, and infinite steak and lobster are included.  

Or, if I prefer to visit destinations, I can book an 11-night vacation in pretty much any country for way less than that for 2 people.  

I am not sure what value I am getting out of the $2800 cruise compared to either of those two options.

Your post is what I have to contemplate. There are so many vacation possibilities. The ideal vacation comes down to $xxxx amount per day per person.  I have been cruising since 1988 with RCI on Nordic Prince for a 10 day honeymoon made in heaven.

Some people have given their honest opinions that RCI is heading into the future which will leave us behind. I can understand that, every generation clings to their past and memories.

So many songs have been written in so many ways, "Dance with the one who brought you to the dance."

(Shania Twain, 1993).

I think RCI needs to listen to this song before I cruise three cruises this year. RCI has three dances this year before I need to make a decision.

Maybe it is time to move on. 😐

3 hours ago, rjrpar said:

I think $2800 for a balcony for 11 nights sounds decent to me. Probably some more unusual ports with a 11 night. .. would depend on ports for me. 

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

January out of where? Anthem sails only from Bayonne to the best of my knowledge and bookings. When did you lock down the prices?  What is the current cost of your cruise to someone who is looking for it right now?

What is total cost? The basic cabin fare and taxes? Does that include gratuities? Does that include taxes? Does that include parking? Does that include airfare? I love these numbers, please clue me in.

The first and second day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony? The second to last day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony?

You paid $2800 for eight usable days but how many days are sitting over at a port like Bermuda and not moving?

Let's look at paying at least $25 per day for parking. This is a best case scenario assuming your are within driving distance and do not need any sort of airfare.

Please frame such a quote with all of the associated discounts, caveats, and factual information.

I'm not the person you quoted but my quotes include fees and taxes, not tips. I send off for stock obc which about covers my tips plus often ta or other obc. 

Personally I didnt get solo discount on my dec b2b, but going forward now with solo discount and diamond plus and refundable group rates, rcl is cheaper than I can book any other cruiseline. I got double pts in dec or might have been tempted to cancel one leg. That one wasnt a good price, but my next 9 on rcl imo are decent prices. Those $100 a day prices during hurricane season I used to book are sadly gone. A balcony at $150 a day or less now with the solo discount.  Otherwise I might be booking elsewhere.  As a solo, rcl beats others prices.

I am loyal to my pocket book and mostly drive to the port. Book a hotel with free cruise parking. 

11 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Just answering the first question here, as I don't know the answers to the rest of the questions.  When Anthem is not sailing out of Bayonne during the winter months, they sail out of Southampton, England.

12 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how's that a value? For the 3 of us this Anthem cruise in an OV balcony is 4,418.61 USD. NOT A GREAT VALUE!

I paid $2,800 for a 10 day cruise on Enchanted Princess for the 3 of us during Thanksgiving. 

Plus, like I said - we cruise with a school aged kid, so we have to cruise during school holidays.

I don’t know your cruising history but $250/per cabin/night in a balcony was a good deal 10 years ago, and is a very good value today.  I have no idea what  your $4418 represents

3 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

I don’t know your cruising history but $250/per cabin/night in a balcony was a good deal 10 years ago, and is a very good value today.  I have no idea what  your $4418 represents

was it not clear that it's a price "For the 3 of us on the same Anthem cruise in an ocean view balcony" in January 2024? I simply got a price quote for the 3 of us in a balcony on RCI website on the cruise you wrote about as being a great value to you. Maybe, you are rich, I don't know you, but it's not a great value to us - not even close. We spent a week on the Allure for $2,000 in an OV balcony in 2022. That was a good price - for 2022. 10 years ago - not even close. 13 years ago when we just started cruising, we paid $258!!!!!! pp plus tax for a 7 night cruise on Independence total. Not per day. In December 2009. Good times.

12 hours ago, rjrpar said:

We (all 3 of us) are going to be in a balcony on MSC Seascape this Thanksgiving for $2,200 with drinks and wifi included. Is this better than $4,418? Yes. It's half the price!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think $2800 for a balcony for 11 nights sounds decent to me. Probably some more unusual ports with a 11 night. .. would depend on ports for me. 

not all that unusual:

• Cape Liberty (New York), New Jersey
  • Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • St. John's, Antigua
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis
  • Cape Liberty (New York), New Jersey

and the other one has St Lucia instead of Antigua.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, this sailing has KSF promotion on it. That's WITH the Kids Sail Free promotion for the 3 of us. It's a freaking joke! It's even more expensive today.

This is the one with St Lucia:

Room
$7,282.00
3 Guests
Balcony
Forward
Deck 8
Summary

Cruise fare
$7,282.00
Discounts (2)
Flash Sale Instant Savings
$-100.00
30% off and Kids Sail Free
$-3,166.00
Subtotal
$4,016.00
Taxes & fees
$584.61
Due today   $1,350.00
Total price  $4,600.61 USD

And if DS turned 13 before this cruise, the total would be 5,199.61 USD.

This is the one with Antigua:

Cruise fare
$7,164.00
Discounts (2)
Flash Sale Instant Savings
$-100.00
30% off and Kids Sail Free
$-3,104.00
Subtotal
$3,960.00
Taxes & fees
$617.97
Due today $1,350.00
Total price  $4,577.97 USD
Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Just answering the first question here, as I don't know the answers to the rest of the questions.  When Anthem is not sailing out of Bayonne during the winter months, they sail out of Southampton, England.

The poster stated that they are leaving next January on the Anthem on an 11-night voyage.

The Anthem only sails that cruise twice in January of 2024.

I just did a mock booking for two on a regular balcony midship. The price is as of this minute, $3885.98 for the cabin and taxes. Add suggested $352 for gratuities and $275 for parking (if flying in, add flight and hotel). This does not include drinks and any dining packages.

This is over $1000 difference than the poster's price of $2,800.

I would like people to quote prices with the reservation time period (months or years, general vicinity) they got those prices. I have obtained great deals too, but I do not quote those prices because if it is not available for someone who is reading my posts, it is a moot point and meaningless to them.

It does no one any good to quote a price that is not currently available.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The poster stated that they are leaving next January on the Anthem on an 11-night voyage.

The Anthem only sails that cruise twice in January of 2024.

I just did a mock booking for two on a regular balcony midship. The price is as of this minute, $3885.98 for the cabin and taxes. Add suggested $352 for gratuities and $275 for parking (if flying in, add flight and hotel). This does not include drinks and any dining packages.

This is over $1000 difference than the poster's price of $2,800.

I would like people to quote prices with the reservation time period (months or years, general vicinity) they got those prices. I have obtained great deals too, but I do not quote those prices because if it is not available for someone who is reading my posts, it is a moot point and meaningless to them.

It does no one any good to quote a price that is not currently available.

But perhaps it just shows that deals and or lower prices are out there, but I agree it would be helpful to mention when the cruise was booked.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Or last minute when prices are lowest.

We did do that once on the Granduer about 10 years ago. We got a 9 day repositioning cruise out of Baltimore for $400 pp. We got an inside cabin next to the laundry chute. It didn't bother us as we found kind of amusing when the laundry went down. Fortunately, it operated only in the daytime hours.

We still like to pick our own cabin now....without the laundry chute.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, baelor said:

As someone who travels to Europe once a year…where the heck are you going that “way less” than $254.54 per day ($2800/11) covers lodging, transportation, food, beverage and activities for two adults? Sleeping on a dirty floor in a hostel and eating ketchup sandwiches is not an apples to apples comparison to a cruise…yet. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

As someone who travels to Europe once a year…where the heck are you going that “way less” than $254.54 per day ($2800/11) covers lodging, transportation, food, beverage and activities for two adults? Sleeping on a dirty floor in a hostel and eating ketchup sandwiches is not an apples to apples comparison to a cruise…yet. 😂

@CruisingNole - I must agree, however, in many European cities, that $254 would not get you a ketchup sandwich, maybe just the hostel accommodations.

Edited by RD64
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We did do that once on the Granduer about 10 years ago. We got a 9 day repositioning cruise out of Baltimore for $400 pp. We got an inside cabin next to the laundry chute. It didn't bother us as we found kind of amusing when the laundry went down. Fortunately, it operated only in the daytime hours.

We still like to pick our own cabin now....without the laundry chute.

Back in the day we found  a $99 14 night Baltimore to Panama Canal. We had just returned from a cruise but could not pass it up. We were able to pick inside cabin location. Got to see lots of ports, warm weather and toured the Panama Canal. Perfecto.