GABRIELLE

Hogbay

Auntie reports from the Golden Princess that although they docked at Wellington yesterday after missing Napier on Sunday, they will not be calling at Lyttelton (Christchurch) today. 
She reports a 4 metre swell but says it doesn’t feel rough. 
I wonder if she will get to visit Dunedin tomorrow. 

The weather is truly wild, lots and lots of mature trees down not to mention flooding and property damage everywhere, all very depressing. 

I'm back at my daughter's,  just had freshly made delicious chocolate brownie.

I have power at home, thankfully, but TV and cellphone coverage down for me, and no radio 📻 My daughter has satellite TV connection so that's working. Her neighbour, a lady on her own, has about 4 mature trees down plus one more with a definite lean on it. My son-in-law will help out once wind stops.

Countrywide there's a lot of damage everywhere 😪

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Auntie reports from the Golden Princess that although they docked at Wellington yesterday after missing Napier on Sunday, they will not be calling at Lyttelton (Christchurch) today. 
She reports a 4 metre swell but says it doesn’t feel rough. 
I wonder if she will get to visit Dunedin tomorrow. 

The very south of the South Island isn't too bad, but the North Island isn't faring well at all 😪

Hi there, 1st time poster and joined this forum as I couldn’t get any info on Ovation that left Sydney on Sunday 12th Feb. My parents and friends (1st time sailers) are on that ship and I’m worried about them.

Is there anyone here on the forum (or even on board Ovation currently) who can tell me how things are on the ship, and what the intended plan is for the ship’s route? Just hoping everyone in the area can stay safe. 

many thanks in advance 

Ben 

12 minutes ago, Benobi said:

Hi there, 1st time poster and joined this forum as I couldn’t get any info on Ovation that left Sydney on Sunday 12th Feb. My parents and friends (1st time sailers) are on that ship and I’m worried about them.

Is there anyone here on the forum (or even on board Ovation currently) who can tell me how things are on the ship, and what the intended plan is for the ship’s route? Just hoping everyone in the area can stay safe. 

many thanks in advance 

Ben 

According to this website: https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9697753

Ovation OTS is still heading to New Zealand. Rest assured that the captain and the cruiseline will ensure the safety of the ship and passengers. It doesn’t look like they’re rerouting at this stage. They may end up skipping some ports if it is unsafe to dock or if infrastructure in the area has been damaged. I can’t imagine them calling into a port in the middle of a natural disaster. 

74F24572-1317-4923-A72C-7CB91AF9E67E.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

According to this website: https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9697753

Ovation OTS is still heading to New Zealand. Rest assured that the captain and the cruiseline will ensure the safety of the ship and passengers. It doesn’t look like they’re rerouting at this stage. They may end up skipping some ports if it is unsafe to dock or if infrastructure in the area has been damaged. I can’t imagine them calling into a port in the middle of a natural disaster. 

74F24572-1317-4923-A72C-7CB91AF9E67E.jpeg

Thank you Sparky, that’s reassuring to know 🙏 

45 minutes ago, Benobi said:

s there anyone here on the forum (or even on board Ovation currently) who can tell me how things are on the ship, and what the intended plan is for the ship’s route? Just hoping everyone in the area can stay safe. 

When I was ovation many years ago, the Captain did daily updates (viewed on the cabin tv,) about the changing weather conditions and plans due to  non-cyclonic rough seas, in the end the captain canceled the 'sounds' and we over-nighted in  Dunedin. The captain will put safety and comfort of passengers above all else.

• Like 2

I( have just returned from the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart.  There was a different cruise ship in port every day.  On Monday, there were two ships, but I couldn't see the name of the one berthed around the corner.  It was wonderful to see all these ships.  Each left at 4 pm with the loud blowing of their horns.  At 3 pm yesterday, all the small wooden boats commenced their departure from the wharf.  It was amazing to see the big cruise ship sail through the departing flotilla of boats.  I hope some of the passengers got to enjoy this wonderful bi-annual festival while they were in Hobart.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Benobi said:

many thanks in advance 

Ben 

Welcome to Cruise Critic 

• Like 2

Pictures from RNZ this morning showing some of the damage from the flooding.  It will take years to recover from this.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/484213/widespread-damage-cyclone-gabrielle-in-pictures

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/300806341/in-pictures-cyclone-gabrielle-cuts-path-of-destruction

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

OMG! What a bloody shame it all is. Those poor people. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Wow, what a mess and those photos are only showing a small part of the damage. It certainly was a powerful storm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

At least one dead in NZ from flooding due to the cyclone.

One is also missing and fears for his safety - a volunteer firefighter who went to help with flooded properties when he got caught in a landslide. The other guy with him was found with serious injuries, but he hasn't been found yet 😪

22 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Glad to hear that you’re safe, Jean. 

Thanks Sparky, and I hope all goes well with your cruise as weather improves. Gabby is moving away from the country so calmer conditions in Auckland and further south. We had a calmish day up north but it was just the centre of the storm, as the winds and rain promptly came back with a vengeance - I just hope that doesn't happen further south. It's all finished, storm-wise for my area. Phone reception is down in my area, along with internet but thankfully I have power at home.  Tv signal was down for a while too, but that is back (I'm currently in town in a cafe with reception).

Pics of Dunedin showed a beautiful, calm, sunny day yesterday - all good for Auntie 😊 Enjoy your cruise, now it's post-cyclone 🤗

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jean C said:

One is also missing and fears for his safety - a volunteer firefighter who went to help with flooded properties when he got caught in a landslide. The other guy with him was found with serious injuries, but he hasn't been found yet 😪

Sadly they've just found the body of the volunteer firefighter 😪😪

53 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks Sparky, and I hope all goes well with your cruise as weather improves…

Enjoy your cruise, now it's post-cyclone 🤗

Thanks, Jean. 
We are FINALLY on the road and should be on the ship in a few hours. 8 nights to Noumea, Port Villa, and Mystery Island out of Brisbane. Snd we’ve booked to cruise to PNG in June. 
Maybe we’ll score a deal and cruise to New Zealand again next year. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, MMDown Under said:

I( have just returned from the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart.  There was a different cruise ship in port every day.  On Monday, there were two ships, but I couldn't see the name of the one berthed around the corner.  It was wonderful to see all these ships.  Each left at 4 pm with the loud blowing of their horns.  At 3 pm yesterday, all the small wooden boats commenced their departure from the wharf.  It was amazing to see the big cruise ship sail through the departing flotilla of boats.  I hope some of the passengers got to enjoy this wonderful bi-annual festival while they were in Hobart.  

That was Ponant's 'Le Soleal'

RX038105.thumb.JPG.75a5e9f6e966b11b9587a5eb352fdb93.JPG

RX038117.thumb.JPG.685789e91ccb8879923d342cf74b821c.JPG

On 2/13/2023 at 10:34 AM, Hogbay said:

Sure is , before on Ovation received both obc and 50% ffc for missing Mystery and Noumea due to aziepod. Feel for the kids looking for their Valentín,  heaps of yong ladies whom came in groups for sun in the South Pacific ,one grup was from Sydney too.

There lies the difference.

If the delays/missed ports are their fault, they will compensate. Diverting for weather reasons or medevacs, they will only offer a token credit plus refund any relevant port charges.

• Like 1