COVID data on Reflection, Jan 29-Feb 4

Blucruising

First off my girlfriend, and I had a wonderful cruise on the Reflection, no regrets. However on return, one of us tested positive for Covid the other negative. Fortunately, symptoms started late Saturday and are mild to date. Again, no criticism of the cruise line or preventative procedures in place, Covid is most everywhere and can be contracted almost anytime.

In searching online, “reporting post cruise Covid “ I don’t see much if anything being collected since last July 2022.  I am curious as to the extent of spread on cruises and this cruise in particular. If you are also curious and would like to contribute, reply with the number in your party and health status during cruise, or post cruise, Covid positive or negative.

With this post - 1 positive, 1 negative.

• Like 2

We are currently on the reflection. Felt fine until this afternoon, when my husband began to feel feverish with a cough and runny nose. We tested, and I was negative, he was positive. Just came back from the guest services. Desk with a seemed remarkably unconcerned. I (I’m on MD) had to suggest that perhaps they might want us to disembark before, or after the bulk of passengers. We had to proactively suggest that they take our cabin number so they could disinfect the cabin more carefully before the several hours turned around tomorrow. Frankly, I felt like I was instructing people in a high school level public health class, rather than service that provides potential exposure to tens of thousands of people each week.

It will be interesting to see how they follow up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

there is another thread about Covid - is it an issue.  

It would appear that most hospitality businesses are "over" Covid and are trying to minimize the issue if you are on board and get it.  Is that right?  Probably not, but they aren't going to move against prevailing public opinion and that includes collecting data 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve007NY said:

We are currently on the reflection. Felt fine until this afternoon, when my husband began to feel feverish with a cough and runny nose. We tested, and I was negative, he was positive. Just came back from the guest services. Desk with a seemed remarkably unconcerned. I (I’m on MD) had to suggest that perhaps they might want us to disembark before, or after the bulk of passengers. We had to proactively suggest that they take our cabin number so they could disinfect the cabin more carefully before the several hours turned around tomorrow. Frankly, I felt like I was instructing people in a high school level public health class, rather than service that provides potential exposure to tens of thousands of people each week.

I'm sorry the bug seems to have found your husband.  I hope he gets well soon.

The treatment you described is radically different than Celebrity was applying universally just six months ago.  Very interesting.

• Like 1

Last week, we were on a B2B MSC cruise and my husband picked up bronchitis (with his COPD) and became dehydrated. On his fourth visit to the medical center, they insisted upon giving him a antigen and then a PCR test. We had already self administered two COVID antigen tests that were negative. Their tests were also negative.

Before they tested, they explained that if he tested positive on the PCR that I would also be tested. If he was positive, he would be moved to a different cabin. If I was negative, I could resume my cruise as normal and walk around the ship. If positive, I would have been quarantined also.

• Thanks 1

This COVID data from cruise ships is not public information anymore.  No announcements on board.  No way to know how many in quarantine.  If the cruise lines are keeping track on board then they are keeping the data private.  A few cases reported post-cruise here and there on CC.  Not a statistical representation.  Just random reports.  And most cases are not serious from what is being mentioned here.  There is no public CDC information on this anymore.  We just need to live with it and protect ourselves as we feel most comfortable.

• Like 5

Our cruise is next month, March 2023. Am i remembering correctly that the reimbursement clause is still in effect if one tests positive and must quarantine? Is it still set to expire in March 23? it seems like that would make a big difference in whether people self report and self quarantine or not. What will happen when that policy expires? 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Blucruising said:

First off my girlfriend, and I had a wonderful cruise on the Reflection, no regrets. However on return, one of us tested positive for Covid the other negative. Fortunately, symptoms started late Saturday and are mild to date. Again, no criticism of the cruise line or preventative procedures in place, Covid is most everywhere and can be contracted almost anytime.

In searching online, “reporting post cruise Covid “ I don’t see much if anything being collected since last July 2022.  I am curious as to the extent of spread on cruises and this cruise in particular. If you are also curious and would like to contribute, reply with the number in your party and health status during cruise, or post cruise, Covid positive or negative.

Got off the Reflection yesterday. Had a great cruise but at the airport yesterday started shivering. Went to bed as soon as I got home last night. This morning tested positive for covid (fully vaxed and boosted twice) 🤕

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Got off the Reflection yesterday. Had a great cruise but at the airport yesterday started shivering. Went to bed as soon as I got home last night. This morning tested positive for covid (fully vaxed and boosted twice) 🤕

Sorry to hear that.  I hope your case is mild and you recover in a few days!

58 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Glad you are at home to recover; there is no other place I would rather be.  My DH ended up in the hospital, a few days after we arrived home...long story, but my DH was in excellent health, vaxed and boosted.  I keep. hearing that men seem to get it with more issues than women.  I also had Covid, but no symptoms.  Yes, we all have to live with it and just do our best.

Edited by Lastdance

On 2/11/2023 at 9:21 PM, Steve007NY said:

my husband and I also were on the Reflection sailing out of Ft Lauderdale on Feb 5th and on disembarkment day, the 12th, my husband started feeling bad, and tested positive on the 13th. I didn’t show symptoms until the 14th and tested positive. In following up with fellow cruisers there is a large percentage that caught Covid on the cruise. What we are noting as missing, unlike pre pandemic cruises, did anyone see crew members disinfecting hand rails, elevators??? Did you experience machines out of hand sanitizer at restaurants?  We did. Just curious. 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Blucruising said:

husband started feeling bad on the 12th, positive on the 13th. I followed suit feeling bad on the 13th positive on the 14th so that’s another 2 positive from the cruise

3 hours ago, 041473 said:

my husband and I also were on the Reflection sailing out of Ft Lauderdale on Feb 5th and on disembarkment day, the 12th, my husband started feeling bad, and tested positive on the 13th. I didn’t show symptoms until the 14th and tested positive. In following up with fellow cruisers there is a large percentage that caught Covid on the cruise. What we are noting as missing, unlike pre pandemic cruises, did anyone see crew members disinfecting hand rails, elevators??? Did you experience machines out of hand sanitizer at restaurants?  We did. Just curious. 

Covid is spread by air borne particles to touching it on a surface only will only give it to you if you touch it and stick that finger up your nose . in your mouth our eye ball 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Covid is spread by air borne particles to touching it on a surface only will only give it to you if you touch it and stick that finger up your nose . in your mouth our eye ball 

Which is why I never ate “all” of finger foods 🤣 ie, bread, crackers, actually ate bacon with a fork 😂 but nevertheless, got caught

• Haha 1

Was on the Reflection in mid Dec. and wore a mask at all times except when eating and wore rubber gloves in the buffet when handling the utensils, Luckily we avoided catching anything. 

Was on the Equinox in Sept. and tested positive on day 5 of a 9 day sailing. Did not wear a mask or use the rubber gloves. Will be on the Equinox next month and for sure will wear the mask and use the gloves. I know you can only do so much to protect yourself but every bit helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Luvtoeat said:

Was on the Reflection in mid Dec. and wore a mask at all times except when eating and wore rubber gloves in the buffet when handling the utensils, Luckily we avoided catching anything. 

Was on the Equinox in Sept. and tested positive on day 5 of a 9 day sailing. Did not wear a mask or use the rubber gloves. Will be on the Equinox next month and for sure will wear the mask and use the gloves. I know you can only do so much to protect yourself but every bit helps.

This was my next question, of those who have posted about contracting C-19, were they wearing masks or felt it was not necessary?

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

My husband and I disembarked Reflection just before Xmas.  He tested positive the next day and me the day after. We wore masks in the elevator. Didn’t go to shows or sit in bars.  Only removed masks in restaurants and tried to sit away from other people.  My husband did have a massage without his mask on … we don’t know where we caught it though. We are in our 60s with underlying conditions but luckily prescribed paxlovid so no hospitalization.  It was our 6th cruise post covid but the first one with no pre-testing required.  

On 2/17/2023 at 3:47 AM, 041473 said:

In following up with fellow cruisers there is a large percentage that caught Covid on the cruise. ….  

What we are noting as missing, unlike pre pandemic cruises, did anyone see crew members disinfecting hand rails, elevators??? Did you experience machines out of hand sanitizer at restaurants?

Just curious how many fellow passengers you followed up with … and were these people you were regularly with on the cruise? If so, that could explain the preponderance of cases you noted. 

I was on the 2/5 - 2/12 sailing and I did see ship’s personnel regularly cleaning the handrails and elevators. But also did occasionally experience an empty hand sanitizer … but usually not the same one twice. I believe they refilled them as soon as they became aware they were empty. 

And for the purpose of statistics gathering … my sister and I have been home for a week now and have not had any Covid symptoms. Although after some of the crowded venues on the ship I had reconciled myself to likely getting it … but glad I didn’t  😊

• Like 1

We were on the the Feb 5-12 cruise. We did not wear masks. We did avoid large gatherings but did eat in the MDR for breakfast, lunch when available and dinner. We felt fine but the Monday after the cruise ended I had some mild symptoms and tested positive. The other 3 of us were negative. 

I did see public areas being cleaned. 

I hope everyone is making a quick recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1