When to use Balcony vs Observation Deck or vice a versa?

JCJR

Tell me your thoughts assuming you have a balcony.

Under what conditions like rain, cold, glacier viewing, darkness, angle of views etc...

Your strategy for viewing . Ex, I read one post that family had balcony rooms on opposite sides (Port vs Starboard) and they  would jump from one side to the other during glacier. turn around to get double the time.

I am contemplating getting balconies next to each other with family (reunion) so we can make our balconies larger and have better views and interact with each other.

33 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I don't get a balcony very often, but I don't think the balconies are connecting.  There's a high privacy wall between them.  If I do get a balcony, I spend a lot of time on it in good weather with a pair of binoculars.  

On some ships - they do connect. The room steward can unlock the divider.

I personally think it is best to be outside on deck during glacier time and not on your balcony. That is me - I want to move around for the best views.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:22 PM, JCJR said:

Tell e your thoughts assuming you have a balcony.

Under what conditions like rain, cold, glacier viewing, darkness, angle of views etc...

Your strategy for viewing . Ex, I read one post that family had balcony rooms on opposite sides (Port vs Starboard) and they  would jump from one side to the other during glacier. turn around to get double the time.

I am contemplating getting balconies next to each other with family (reunion) so we can make our balconies larger and have better views and interact with each other.

Most Holland America ship aft-facing staterooms have balcony dividers that can be opened to share.  The views from aft balconies cover both sides of the ship. provide reasonable cover from the weather and allow entertaining because there is no wind while the ship is moving.  Family dinners? Glacier watching? Party with the help of free Room Service?

@JCJR we have done the Alaska cruise way too many times and yes are doing it again.  Usually the ships do a 360 near the glacier so no real need to run back and forth.  We usually go up on deck for the arrival, then at some point return to the balcony to enjoy again. 

Quick tip, usually go on deck early and grab a few fleece blankets at they go fast on arrival.  Sometimes there can be a nasty outflow wind coming off the glacier.  Mostly i just walk around the observation deck until i get tired then returns to the balcony

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

@JCJR we have done the Alaska cruise way too many times and yes are doing it again.  Usually the ships do a 360 near the glacier so no real need to run back and forth.  We usually go up on deck for the arrival, then at some point return to the balcony to enjoy again. 

Quick tip, usually go on deck early and grab a few fleece blankets at they go fast on arrival.  Sometimes there can be a nasty outflow wind coming off the glacier.  Mostly i just walk around the observation deck until i get tired then returns to the balcony

If you are on a HAL ship, you will find fleece blankets in the drawer under each bed.  No need to leave your leave your stateroom to find them.

• Like 1

We've also cruised Alaska a few times (5) and where we decide to view the glaciers can vary. 

Actually loved one of our true aft cabins on RCI...enjoying the glacier in my PJ's wrapped up in a blanket and sipping hot chocolate....NICE !!!

• Like 3

I am on deck moving around (usually Promenade deck) so I always have the best views. 

I am rarely in my cabin/balcony on glacier days as I don't want to wait for the ship to switch sides. I also would not stay in an aft cabin balcony until we leave the glaciers. Then that view is great.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 8:22 PM, JCJR said:

Tell me your thoughts assuming you have a balcony.

The balconies have a privacy screen that remains closed while at sea, as it also acts as a windbreak. To open the privacy screens normally requires approval of the Master.

We were upgraded to a balcony on our AK cruise, and we only used it one short time in our 10 days aboard.  We would never book a balcony again, even at Inside prices.  We spent all our waking hours up on the top decks, or promenade deck, watching the beautiful scenery and the sky and sea.  In our cabin, our view was diminished by the framework of the balcony.

• Like 2

In my past expierences I will be up on the bow as the ship is approaching the glacier.  As soon as my balcony is going to be facing the glacier I much prefer enjoying the view from my private balcony.  You do not have to try to fight for a front row spot to view and photograph the glacier.  But the one thing that I found the best is the quiet.  The sound of ice cracking is amazing and that just can't be expierenced on deck with large groups of people.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is the a naturalist on deck talking on glacier days? I’m thinking that being on your balcony you’ll miss something someone knows ( Does that make sense?). I understand the crowds on deck, thus making the balcony worthwhile. 

The naturalist, if there is one, is usually doing narration from the bridge. In Glacier Bay, there's a park Ranger on the bridge.  It will be broadcast to the outside decks and over the tv in the stateroom.  Some ships will broadcast it into the crows nest or other public inside viewing areas.