If I buy Princess Plus on the ship, is it slightly cheaper than before the cruise?

Coral

8 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We have 3 people in our cabin and we all have Princess Plus.  I called and asked if I could upgrade to Premier without the other two upgrading, and I was told no.  Also, the insurance cost does increase when you add Princess Plus or Princess Premier.

If one of the first two people in the cabin upgrade, the first two must both upgrade.

However, if the first two upgrade, the third person in the cabin does not have to.

I suspect any upgrade done while on the ship will not have a Princess insurance cost added to it and if an insurance claim is made, it cannot include a package purchased onboard.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

I spoke to someone at Princess (1-800-number) a couple of weeks ago and asked a similar question about the Plus package.  She said that the Princess Plus package would cost the same once we board the ship as it does today.  When I asked if just one of us could purchase it if we wait until we are on the ship, she said, "no, both guests 1& 2 would both have to purchase it."  I should note that she paused and took a moment to "look" for the correct answer before she blurted it out...instead of just guessing.  She said the Plus Beverage package could be purchased by a single guest in the cabin, but it costs more per person ($76.70/day) than the Princess Plus package ($60/day).   The premier bev. package is currently $100.30/day/pp.  

I know this question is a little off topic but ~~~

Wifi = 7.50 day

Tips = 16.50 day

Lattes = free

Less - 60 day for pkg

Leaves $36 a day for alcohol????

Edited by Ombud

6 hours ago, caribill said:

I suspect any upgrade done while on the ship will not have a Princess insurance cost added to it and if an insurance claim is made, it cannot include a package purchased onboard.

This makes sense in my mind.

16 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

This is situation where Princess' naming convention is confusing...it is kind of like the mini-suites that aren't really suites when it comes to extra perks.  There is Princess Plus ($60 pp/day) and Princess Premier ($80 pp/day).  These both include crew appreciation, wifi, either the Plus Beverage Package or the Premier Beverage Package and a few other perks that I'm not going to list.  I purchased insurance through Princess so if I purchase Princess Plus right now before my sailing date, I will pay slightly more than the $60 pp/day because I'll be charged a percentage for travel insurance premium.  I do not know if this will be the case if I purchase onboard the ship.  

The prices I mentioned above are for the Princess Plus Beverage Package.  It costs $64.99/day + 18% service charge totaling $76.70/day.  It is the same beverage package that is included with Princess Plus which only costs $60/day, but the Beverage package does not have to be purchased by guests 1 & 2 where as the Princess Plus does.  Depending on the length of the cruise, if only 1 guest in the cabin drinks alcoholic beverages, and neither care about wifi, the beverage package for one guest might be cheaper than the Princess Plus for both guests.  

My apologies to the OP!  I thought I was being helpful trying to answer @Cruise Raiderquestion.  I didn't mean to steer us off course!!  

To throw a spanner into the works:

If just getting the beverage package at $76.70, one would still owe the daily gratuity also...  🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jwattle said:

To throw a spanner into the works:

If just getting the beverage package at $76.70, one would still owe the daily gratuity also...  🙂

Yes, but if guest 2 doesn't drink & neither need wifi, it would technically be cheaper than both guests purchasing Princess Plus ($109.70/day vs $120/day for the cabin).  It is not enough of a savings for me to have to worry about keeping track of extra purchases, but on a longer cruise that $10 would start to add up especially for someone who doesn't drink at all vs. my occasional drink.  

3 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

Yes, but if guest 2 doesn't drink & neither need wifi, it would technically be cheaper than both guests purchasing Princess Plus ($109.70/day vs $120/day for the cabin).  It is not enough of a savings for me to have to worry about keeping track of extra purchases, but on a longer cruise that $10 would start to add up especially for someone who doesn't drink at all vs. my occasional drink.  

But do they drink non-alcohol drinks that cost? Just playing advocate of the devil...😁

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Wifi = 7.50 day

Tips = 16.50 day

Lattes = free

Less - 60 day for pkg

Sounds right which would be about 3-4 drinks a day. Maybe less if you use bottled waters or soft drinks

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Wifi = 7.50 day

Tips = 16.50 day

Lattes = free

Less - 60 day for pkg

Suite tips are going up to $18/day/person, so that would leave $34.50 a day for beverages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caribill said:
14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Wifi = 7.50 day

Tips = 16.50 day

Lattes = free

Less - 60 day for pkg

Expand  

Suite tips are going up to $18/day/person, so that would leave $34.50 a day for beverages (irrelevant to me)

You are assuming that I, a mere ordinary balcony solo cruiser, can afford a suite!! 😅🤣😂 If I could afford to pay dbl passsge in a suite as a solo I wouldn't care if Princess Plus or Princess Premier was cost effective (for me). 

As it is, I can afford the balcony due to my perks & the $7.08 waters and still have a specialty dinner, a few excursions, and a glass of wine if I choose to

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, caribill said:

In that case the tips are $16/day, leaving $36.50/day for beverages.

Added to this calculation. that's $73 for a couple; $88 if Wi-Fi is not important then figure in OBC remainder after Grats.

Another factor to consider is OBC you may have.

If you have significant non-refundable OBC and have booked with Plus or Premier, what would you spend it on if you are not taking Princess shore excursions. Yes, Spa services, sanctuary, and specialty restaurants, but you may not want enough of those services to use all the OBC up.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Another factor to consider is OBC you may have.

If you have significant non-refundable OBC and have booked with Plus or Premier, what would you spend it on if you are not taking Princess shore excursions. Yes, Spa services, sanctuary, and specialty restaurants, but you may not want enough of those services to use all the OBC up.

Yes - I have $600 OBC (non-refundable) for an 11 night cruise. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it. I won't use spa services or sanctuary. Most excursions are private as of right now.

I’m going to try upgrading from my Princess Plus to the Princess Premier for my next sailing using my OBC at the end of this month.  I will report back on how it works, if it works.  I believe I paid $50 per day so will expect a charge of $150 for the upgrade for my solo cabin.  I have a lot of OBC, so it will be worth it to me.  

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, Coral said:

The website says:

Selected Upgrade

• If applicable, your Future Cruise Credit deductions and Princess Vacation Protection increase have been automatically applied.
  • In some circumstances, package upgrades may increase your cruise fare. Please review your remaining balance on the Payment page or contact your travel advisor.

------

Thus - I was thinking it was increasing the cost of insurance as it increases the cost of cruise fare and that will increase cost of insurance.

I could be wrong. The numbers don't make sense if I add 18% off the total amount, unless they are only doing a portion on the drink part.

The couple of times I was able to upgrade on the website shortly before my cruise, I was charged the upgrade price plus the extra for the insurance.  

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The couple of times I was able to upgrade on the website shortly before my cruise, I was charged the upgrade price plus the extra for the insurance.  

That is why the price isn’t the straight $60 per day. That is why I was wondering on the ship. I look forward to your report later this month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Yes - I have $600 OBC (non-refundable) for an 11 night cruise. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it. I won't use spa services or sanctuary. Most excursions are private as of right now.

Same as us, $610 OBC on a 12-day cruise with just one sea day. This will be our first Std fare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I wonder about the price of the soda package.  Seems on the website I see one price, and when I log in I see a slightly cheaper price.  Wonder what the onboard price is?  And unlike plus, can one person buy the soda package and not the other?

I believe you can get this alone. At least you used to be able to.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, motherofteenagers said:

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I am sailing tomorrow, February 16th. Will I be able to purchase plus onboard or only sailings after February 20th? The princess rep on the phone did not know.

Please report back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, motherofteenagers said:

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I am sailing tomorrow, February 16th. Will I be able to purchase plus onboard or only sailings after February 20th? The princess rep on the phone did not know.

It would seem only after Feb 20 because that is what Princess said in FAQ. Let us know if you are lucky, fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...