Playing loud music

antsp

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

LOL to me a polite volume is one that can't be heard beyond your balcony.... no one could argue with that.  Like the tree falling in the woods with no one there to hear 😉

I hear what your saying but what about a person who's hard of hearing? I'm sure they would like it a little louder than most people would prefer. I'd even venture to say there are many of those types that wail Princess. 

I have to honest, I really don’t mind other people music, unless it’s blaring unbelievably loud.  We’ve lived in the country for eight years and sometimes it’s so quiet I can hear my husband thinking.  Yes, the birds tweeting, and the leaves rustling are lovely, to a point.  I get really excited when I hear our neighbour’s cows and horses just to prove I’m still alive.  On a cruise it’s quite invigorating to hear music and laughter and people talking and singing!  Although, onboard we don’t play music ourselves, we do enjoy listening to others, within reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I hear what your saying but what about a person who's hard of hearing? I'm sure they would like it a little louder than most people would prefer. I'd even venture to say there are many of those types that wail Princess. 

We can always come up with exceptions in an attempt to swallow the rule. But if we stick with the definition of “music played at a polite, conversational level”, it is by definition not intrusive. And if one scans the area and sees no neighbors to intrude upon, then by definition there can be no intrusion. And yet some think that a volume that is not loud enough to hear by people not around to hear it is too loud. How very odd. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have to honest, I really don’t mind other people music, unless it’s blaring unbelievably loud.  We’ve lived in the country for eight years and sometimes it’s so quiet I can hear my husband thinking.  Yes, the birds tweeting, and the leaves rustling are lovely, to a point.  I get really excited when I hear our neighbour’s cows and horses just to prove I’m still alive.  On a cruise it’s quite invigorating to hear music and laughter and people talking and singing!  Although, onboard we don’t play music ourselves, we do enjoy listening to others, within reason.

Most of us live in the suburbs, where noise is a fact of life, so we hear enough noise at home. On a cruise on my private balcony, all I want to hear is the waves against the ship. Other people's noise pollution is not appreciated. I didn't pay all this money to be forced to hear what they want to hear. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

We can always come up with exceptions in an attempt to swallow the rule. But if we stick with the definition of “music played at a polite, conversational level”, it is by definition not intrusive. And if one scans the area and sees no neighbors to intrude upon, then by definition there can be no intrusion. And yet some think that a volume that is not loud enough to hear by people not around to hear it is too loud. How very odd. 

The flaw in your argument is that while you claim to "scan" the area for the absence of neighbors, there is no guarantee that they might suddenly appear at any moment after your supposed scan. All you can assume is that there wasn't anyone there ONLY when you looked. People come and go, and you will be disturbing them when they do show up. It is NOT a "first come, first gets what they want" situation. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Most of us live in the suburbs, where noise is a fact of life, so we hear enough noise at home. On a cruise on my private balcony, all I want to hear is the waves against the ship. Other people's noise pollution is not appreciated. I didn't pay all this money to be forced to hear what they want to hear. 

Oh I totally understand that.  I certainly don’t want to hear anything that’s intrusive or annoying.  I just don’t mind hearing music in the background.  I’ve been cruising for a very long time and I can’t remember when all I could hear from my balcony is the waves against the ship.  When you have at least 2,000 other people onboard, complete silence would be virtually impossible.  I think we all have to be mindful of our neighbours, but we need to be realistic, too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Oh I totally understand that.  I certainly don’t want to hear anything that’s intrusive or annoying.  I just don’t mind hearing music in the background.  I’ve been cruising for a very long time and I can’t remember when all I could hear from my balcony is the waves against the ship.  When you have at least 2,000 other people onboard, complete silence would be virtually impossible.  I think we all have to be mindful of our neighbours, but we need to be realistic, too.

On every cruise I have taken with a balcony, the only noise I ever heard out there was an occasional discussion by next door balcony neighbors, and even then it was respectfully subdued. Maybe I have been lucky to have avoided selfish people who think that what they want is the only thing that counts, and so they smoke, play music, or talk loudly.

So, no, I don't subscribe to your "virtually impossible" and "need to be realistic" beliefs. People need to be respectful of others when in close proximity to each other. That is what I always do. That some don't agree with that simple act of courtesy is disappointing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

just wear earbuds/earphones if u want to listen to YOUR music in or around any public space...just because you think the volume is low if it is loud enough to hear it can be an irritant for someone trying to enjoy some peace and quiet or read  a book etc. ..problem solved. 

I wish they would have all tvs fixed for bluetooth and promote bring your earbuds or buy some cheap ones on board... some people sure like to blast the tv way too loud...lot of hard of hearing folks around...me included who have a hard time telling how loud it may be....if you have a connecting room it can be particularly irritating...a lot of people like to go to sleep early while others may like to sleep in late.... and having to listen to some night owl's/early risers tv next door is not a good thing......be polite and remember there are a few thousand people around you that also would like to enjoy their vacation..

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

And if one scans the area and sees no neighbors to intrude upon, then by definition there can be no intrusion. And yet some think that a volume that is not loud enough to hear by people not around to hear it is too loud.

Smokers on balconies use to think the same thing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dockman said:

just wear earbuds/earphones if u want to listen to YOUR music in or around any public space...just because you think the volume is low if it is loud enough to hear it can be an irritant for someone trying to enjoy some peace and quiet or read  a book etc. ..problem solved. 

I wish they would have all tvs fixed for bluetooth and promote bring your earbuds or buy some cheap ones on board... some people sure like to blast the tv way too loud...lot of hard of hearing folks around...me included who have a hard time telling how loud it may be....if you have a connecting room it can be particularly irritating...a lot of people like to go to sleep early while others may like to sleep in late.... and having to listen to some night owl's/early risers tv next door is not a good thing......be polite and remember there are a few thousand people around you that also would like to enjoy their vacation..

We don’t play music or have our tv loud or have intrusive conversations.  We just don’t let other’s enjoyment impact ours, unless it’s bothersome.  Life is too short to be worried about every little annoyance.  Of course we would say something if the music is blaring or if people are yelling, but a little music in the background is not an issue and we let them enjoy their vacation.  If it’s an issue for you, then by all means complain.  

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

We don’t play music or have our tv loud or have intrusive conversations.  We just don’t let other’s enjoyment impact ours, unless it’s bothersome.  Life is too short to be worried about every little annoyance.  Of course we would say something if the music is blaring or if people are yelling, but a little music in the background is not an issue and we let them enjoy their vacation.  If it’s an issue for you, then by all means complain.  

And this from someone who in a previous post describes that she lives in a quiet, serene environment and relishes the sounds of people around her as a welcome change. Sorry, but you are the exception. Most of us deal with noise every day and want solitude on our balconies. That you seem to think we are too demanding for wanting that solitude is disappointing.

Differences of perceptions based on differences of experience. Neither is right or wrong - just different. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

And this from someone who in a previous post describes that she lives in a quiet, serene environment and relishes the sounds of people around her as a welcome change. Sorry, but you are the exception. Most of us deal with noise every day and want solitude on our balconies. That you seem to think we are too demanding for wanting that solitude is disappointing.

Differences of perceptions based on differences of experience. Neither is right or wrong - just different. 

Okay

We have five senses: vision, hearing, taste, smell and feel.  Stimulation produces reactions that range from pleasurable to painful.  That varies by the receiver.

What one person finds pleasant may cause the opposite to another.

Taste: I am told some enjoy the flavors of tequila, licorice or mackerel. Others wouldn’t taste them (again) on a dare. Imagine arriving at a dinner party to be told that was the menu.

Smell: how many times have you encountered someone who appears to have bathed in cologne or perfume?  Yet, they themselves seem impervious.  Ever bring a tuna salad sub into a plane?  Well, don’t. 

Sight:  Stripes and polka dots together.  Hairy armpits.  Blood and gore. Most people can name something they don’t wish to look at.

Feel: Slime. Extreme heat or cold.  I have one son who cannot suffer the feel of grass under his feet.  Yes, that’s weird.  But I doubt he is alone.

Sound: Did you know that some carry a genetic trait that cause discomfort at the sound of others chewing?  Opera. Thrash metal. Bubble gum pop. Tibetan throat singing.  What one loves, another cannot tolerate.

My point is that the considerate human recognizes the possibility that his taste in music, food & drink, scent, etc. may be upsetting others and acts accordingly. Music is for personal enjoyment and should be everyone’s choice.  If it cannot be, it needs to be unheard.

Just my opinion though.  I don’t make the rules outside my own home and vehicle.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

You might be able to fool yourself, but many of us know quite well that if you can hear it on your balcony, no matter how low the volume, others will be able to as well on their balcony. 

Are you suggesting that distance from the source of sound has no effect on its volume to the listener?  I guess I should have sprung for the nosebleed section at the last Dead concert I went to all those years ago, could have saved a fortune 😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Are you suggesting that distance from the source of sound has no effect on its volume to the listener?  I guess I should have sprung for the nosebleed section at the last Dead concert I went to all those years ago, could have saved a fortune 😉

Keep in mind that you are mere feet from the source of that music, not half a concert hall away.

I agree with Santafefan. They balconies are not private or secluded. There are gaps in the edges of the dividers for sound to flow through. Any music or conversations on someone's balcony can be heard from adjacent balconies. Besides, the sound of the waves against the ship will require the music volume to be raised to be heard better by the music enthusiast. That additional level volume will drift over to the adjacent balconies. It is the simple science of sound waves. 

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

Keep in mind that you are mere feet from the source of that music, not half a concert hall away.

I agree with Santafefan. They balconies are not private or secluded. There are gaps in the edges of the dividers for sound to flow through. Any music or conversations on someone's balcony can be heard from adjacent balconies. Besides, the sound of the waves against the ship will require the music volume to be raised to be heard better by the music enthusiast. That additional level volume will drift over to the adjacent balconies. It is the simple science of sound waves. 

I intended my comment about the Grateful Dead concert to be a joke.

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

I intended my comment about the Grateful Dead concert to be a joke.

I got that. I've been to enough concerts in my wilder days to know exactly what you meant. I shudder at the thought of how much money I spent on barely hearing the band due to the constant screaming around me. LOL!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm too sheltered....what's twerking?  The last time I heard that word, it was associated with Miley Cirus.  

that's exactly what they were doing.  MC.  The music was loud also. and not in a good way.  Officer finally came and broke it up after the waiter tried.