Live report - Iona G305 Canary Islands

db51

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The appeal for me was having a definite time for dining so I could book shows around that fixed time. The queues on the formal night for the MDR were long and reports of people missing courses to get to pre booked shows in the theatre.

While the Chefs Table was in the buffet it was laid out with proper table cloths, glassware etc.. As everyone was seated at the same time there was no coming and going from tables which can be an issue in the MDR if you are at one of the “corridor” tables. Consequently I would say the ambiance was actually better in some ways, like old fashioned fixed dining.

Thanks. Is the menu very different from the MDR and, if so, are these additions meaningful? Also, can you specify when booking that you don’t want to share a table with other guests, like you can with the MDR?

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. Is the menu very different from the MDR and, if so, are these additions meaningful? Also, can you specify when booking that you don’t want to share a table with other guests, like you can with the MDR?

The menu is different but not to any great extent. You can get lobster which is not in the MDR but it was very small. The app menu also details good quality cheese but on the plate it’s just the same offering as in the MDR. The food was good if smallish portions and it came out hot as they were doing almost banqueting service.

The recommended paired wines by the glass are a nice addition.

No you cant specify table size but it appeared that the tables were set for the number of your booking. We got a table for two on both occasions (by the window).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been following a couple of YouTubers who were on last week and they said although they had pre booked some things they just turned up at some restaurants and got seated so perhaps people don’t need to get too stressed. They were concerned what it would be like as a full ship (half term) but found it good. Check in was smooth and well organised with just your boarding pass and passport needed. So different to the half a tree worth of paper I took with me last Easter!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, crompton21 said:

It's quite a feat of marketing to be able able to persuade people that they should eat their "celebration meal" in the environs of the cafeteria whilst promoting it as an upgrade. 

Quite. We felt it was a very strange atmosphere in that slightly closed off area and was about as far removed from celebratory as could be. But it was good to try this “event”.

But we have now learnt. 

Until we are tempted next time……..

I didn't sit up until midnight to book for Iona G306; I went online at midday the next day and got everything I wanted to book in the way of shorex, shows and speciality restaurants.

The only annoying thing is that the Olive Grove is still showing as "coming soon"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Quite. We felt it was a very strange atmosphere in that slightly closed off area and was about as far removed from celebratory as could be. But it was good to try this “event”.

But we have now learnt. 

Until we are tempted next time……..

A case of...

been, seen, got the magnet 😉

12 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I didn't sit up until midnight to book for Iona G306; I went online at midday the next day and got everything I wanted to book in the way of shorex, shows and speciality restaurants.

The only annoying thing is that the Olive Grove is still showing as "coming soon"

From what others have written, it looks like you won't be able to do that until you are on board, and it may well only be available as a virtual queue.

Rather than joining the virtual queue, you may be better off actually attending the restaurant and stipulating that you wish to dine alone. They should then give you a buzzer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:04 PM, terrierjohn said:

Do we know if P&O are still allowing select passengers to change to free parking on existing bookings, and are new bookings getting an uplift to the OBC option in line with the new parking charges?

Hi John

We have looked at changing from OBC to parking as we could not get the hotel we wanted. However our TA pointed out that our OBC was still much more than the parking. However this was before the price rise. I have checked and after the price rise this was still the case. We are not in a suite. A number of people on our next 2 cruises have reported that the CPS was full as they waited too late to book. 

Sorry should have said yes it was possible.

Dai

Edited by daiB

23 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Seems a bit odd to be dressing in formal wear and dining in what is essentially the buffet, even if it is table service. Are the additions for the Chefs Table menu worth sacrificing the more refined environment of the MDR? I’m struggling to understand what the attraction is, so am clearly missing something. 

Selbourne,

The last time we were on Arcadia my OH was feeling off one night, forma;, and I went to the buffet on my own, not in DJ. I was interested to see that more than half of the diners were actually formally dressed.

25 minutes ago, daiB said:

Selbourne,

The last time we were on Arcadia my OH was feeling off one night, forma;, and I went to the buffet on my own, not in DJ. I was interested to see that more than half of the diners were actually formally dressed.

Bizarre. Can’t think of anywhere else where people would eat in a cafeteria wearing a DJ but, as they say, there’s nowt so queer as folk 😂 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Bizarre. Can’t think of anywhere else where people would eat in a cafeteria wearing a DJ but, as they say, there’s nowt so queer as folk 😂 

Probably filling up after the meagre portions in the MDR.🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Of course. That explains it! We avoid the buffet like the plague and have never felt the need for a midnight snack when on a cruise, but maybe when we are on Iona this summer……..  😂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crompton21 said:

As far as I can see, the event appears to include luxuries such as the provision of tablecloths and glassware with the added bonus of being able to be served at a reasonable time. 

It's quite a feat of marketing to be able able to persuade people that they should eat their "celebration meal" in the environs of the cafeteria whilst promoting it as an upgrade. 

I think most folks see through it and see it for exactly what it is. An overspill from the MDR which is rammed too full on Celebration nights and consequently far too busy. 

I do wonder just what they would do if everyone decided to turn up at the MDR.

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Perhaps they wanted to go to a bar that required formal dress ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think most folks see through it and see it for exactly what it is. An overspill from the MDR which is rammed too full on Celebration nights and consequently far too busy. 

I do wonder just what they would do if everyone decided to turn up at the MDR.

Probably this...

Screenshot_2023-02-19-17-24-01-7612.jpeg.de04eded5441c22cbbbbf5f3cdb71892.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Returned yesterday off Iona.

I can agree with meagre portions in the MDR.

That’s why The queues in the late night buffet every night was over 100 people.

I asked the restaurant manager who was walking through one night,,why the queues (of course I knew) he replied ‘because there is only one small section of one station open,,dur!!!
He told us all to fill out a complaint form and off he went to bed.

10 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Returned yesterday off Iona.

I can agree with meagre portions in the MDR.

That’s why The queues in the late night buffet every night was over 100 people.

I asked the restaurant manager who was walking through one night,,why the queues (of course I knew) he replied ‘because there is only one small section of one station open,,dur!!!
He told us all to fill out a complaint form and off he went to bed.

That’s incredible.  It always used to be possible for ask for more, Oliver Twist style, in the MDR - though it was very rare to see anyone do it. It was never necessary. Has that possibility been removed?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s incredible.  It always used to be possible for ask for more, Oliver Twist style, in the MDR - though it was very rare to see anyone do it. It was never necessary. Has that possibility been removed?

We'll, I've never be shy about asking for an extra dessert.🤭🐷

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps they wanted to go to a bar that required formal dress ?

Quite possibly but, then again, I can’t recall a bar that I’ve ever been to ashore that requires a DJ either! If I wasn’t going to bother to go to the MDR on formal nights I certainly wouldn’t take formal wear just to go to a certain bar! 

Arrived at ocean terminal at 11 and easily found Parking4cruises. Gave in bags then left car. Embarkation process was quick and well managed - we had priority boarding but everyone seemed to be quickly processed and sent through to the waiting area. We got into the ship just before 12. I immediately sat in the main atrium and booked all the entertainment for the 2 weeks at the theatre and 710 club - the skyline was not bookable and also the Olive Grove twice and the Beach House once. My stress levels went down after that because not being able to do anything was a worry before the cruise. Whilst I was doing that dh explored the very small library and borrowed a book- you just help yourself! We then went to our muster station and went to the peninsular welcome reception which was a buffet style event in the Pearl dining room at the back of the ship. We wished we hadn’t gone - it was packed and you had to queue for food ( which was pretty awful - chicken tikka curry, 3 types and sandwiches, battered king prawns ( they ran out of these) and some other small canapé type food. ) Rooms were ready at 1.20 and cases arrived at about 3. 
The ship is beautiful, we went for a very cold and wet wander around whilst waiting for our cases. 
Our room is lovely ( back of ship) but we had to ask for flannels and White Company toiletries because there weren’t  any. ( I know it sounds petty caring about it but usually it is part of the room description) Canapés ( I usually like trying them even though they are often not good!)  are now only on the first night and Event nights and you have to ask for a bowl of fruit instead of it just being there and specify what you want ( and it hasn’t arrived yet) Cutbacks. 

We went to the Limelight Club in the evening and were surprised when we got there at 6.30 that there was no queue ( so we were at the front) We were let in at 6.45 - just enough time for dh to get me a mojito to liven up the queuing . Ray Quinn was on - he was really good - I’m not keen on swing music but he had a good voice and did it well. The menu choices looked poor but when the food arrived ( me and dh chose differently for each course) it was really nice and we both enjoyed it. We went to the Skydome afterwards - arriving at about 10.20 and sat upstairs in the front row- plenty of room. 10 minutes later  Tribal started - it was an amazing acrobatics show and we enjoyed it. 
Overall a great first day - beds were good and seas seemed calm. I’m liking Iona so far!
Internet seems Ok - in answer to someone’s question it was cheaper/ or very similar to book for the whole time rather than just sea days and I went for Ultimate so that if I had to do a Zoom call for work I theoretically could. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

we’ve been up to the buffet after the MDR, to get a hot dessert, as evening meals on Aurora never had a hot option…. So we’d often do a ‘movable feast’… starter and main in MDR, then dessert later!!! If it was formal night, we’d often see others doing the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Quite possibly but, then again, I can’t recall a bar that I’ve ever been to ashore that requires a DJ either! If I wasn’t going to bother to go to the MDR on formal nights I certainly wouldn’t take formal wear just to go to a certain bar! 

The Crows Nest is the formal bar on Iona. Entertainment is a cocktail pianist.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, grapau27 said:

I hope Pauline and yourself have an amazing cruise John.

If you get an opportunity can you report if the infinity pool on deck 16 at the aft of the ship is still causing overflow onto the aft balconies.

Graham.

On the Iona last week I saw a member of staff pleading with some passengers to stop splashing the water over the screen onto the balconies below. Once he’d gone some little darlings were doing it on purposes 🤫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, devonuk said:

On the Iona last week I saw a member of staff pleading with some passengers to stop splashing the water over the screen onto the balconies below. Once he’d gone some little darlings were doing it on purposes 🤫

Why not make it an adults only pool, or was it the adults(?) you were talking about?

• Like 3