All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

3 hours ago, gjw1989 said:

I've been scrolling through this forum but can't seem to find an answer to this. 

On Celebration Nights, is it possible to wear a smart shirt with a nice jumper, suit trousers and shoes?

That would be fine for the buffet but not MDR or specialty dining restaurants. P & O website is quite clear on dress code for celebration night. You would need a jacket and tie and no jumper.

“Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gjw1989 said:

I've been scrolling through this forum but can't seem to find an answer to this. 

On Celebration Nights, is it possible to wear a smart shirt with a nice jumper, suit trousers and shoes?

Officially you would not be allowed into the mdr or some other venues dressed like that but it increasingly seems to depend upon the ship and the restaurant managers. If you are sailing on Iona or Arvia, chances are it would be fine but if on Arcadia or Aurora not.

If you are happy to eat in an alternative dining venue and avoid the few venues that require formal dress, that outfit will be fine.

Just got back.

Azura, one week cruise from Malta.

I can  confirm that on our cruise there was no need for formal dress to dine in either the Beach house or The Glass House. Or, obviously, the buffet.
We could also drink in Brodies.

we did not try to enter other bars or the theatre.

1 hour ago, jomf said:

Just got back.

Azura, one week cruise from Malta.

I can  confirm that on our cruise there was no need for formal dress to dine in either the Beach house or The Glass House. Or, obviously, the buffet.
We could also drink in Brodies.

we did not try to enter other bars or the theatre.

On my final cruise on Azura last September formal dress was only required in the MDRs and Epicurian; smart casual was acceptable in the Horizon buffet, Beach House, Glass House and Sindu. The latter (pleasantly) surprised me as on earlier cruises it had been formal.

Hi all, long time no see- first cruise post covid! Does anyone know if there's still themed dress nights on board like white night or anything like that? On Ventura in September 🙂

From P&Os website:-

“Our theme nights offer a great opportunity for guests to dress up in line with the theme. Themes can include 60s, 70s, tropical, Western, and black and white nights.”

However the last time we cruised, last September, we were told that, due to covid protocols, themed nights were stopped! How on earth Covid is affected by the clothes you wear is still a mystery to me.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:03 PM, gjw1989 said:

We’ve just come off Azura and probably the only thing that hasn’t changed in the years we’ve been away is the willingness of one group of British guests to criticise the dress preferences of another. It happens nowhere else in the world and to the extent it happens on other lines, it’s only when sailing from UK.

I do sympathise with P&O as they are trying to ride two horses simultaneously, but the speed with which they’re prepared to jettison other cruising traditions shows it’s all a matter of calculation. The quicker they adapt their policy to have one regime on the ships that attract traditional cruisers and a more relaxed policy on the others - and make it clear that that’s the case - the quicker they will avoid this one anachronistic topic having such an impact on people’s enjoyment - both sides of the topic.

• Like 1

For me I’m massively anti-formal as to me it’s not what holidays are about but I understand that for some people it makes a holiday special. We’ve booked our upcoming cruise on a whim and hadn’t realised formal was a thing. To me a happy compromise would be to have a designated restaurant for those that want to and to keep another restaurant more restyle ! I’m already resenting the fact the buffet may be my only option for 2 nights of a 7 night cruise ! 

• Like 2

I will be taking a suit on 3 cruises this year. Not for the dining but so I can have my pre dinner drink and a couple of late Gin and Tonics in the Crows Nest which is my favourite bar.

Put the suit on

Pre dinner drink

take jacket and tie off

late evening put jacket and tie on 

late evening drink

There is room in the case for the jacket and the suit trousers can be used for smart casual evenings

I will probably go nowhere near the MDR

Ships are Britannia, Aurora and Arcadia.

18 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

For me I’m massively anti-formal as to me it’s not what holidays are about but I understand that for some people it makes a holiday special. We’ve booked our upcoming cruise on a whim and hadn’t realised formal was a thing. To me a happy compromise would be to have a designated restaurant for those that want to and to keep another restaurant more restyle ! I’m already resenting the fact the buffet may be my only option for 2 nights of a 7 night cruise ! 

Only MDR and Epicurian are formal. Eating everywhere else smart casual. 

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

Just checked my Aurora July 14 nighter and there are only 3 formal nights listed, actually one is called celebration night but no idea why.

It's to celebrate the voucher for one glass of cheap Champagne that they give you...

Don't be surprised if there are actually four Formal nights once you get on board.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:37 AM, Britboys said:

It's to celebrate the voucher for one glass of cheap Champagne that they give you...

Don't be surprised if there are actually four Formal nights once you get on board.

Just of Aurora Baltic R307 16 nights,had 4 formal black tie nights,however puffer jackets zipped up,in the MDR was acceptable  attire as where old jeans in Sindu on one of these occasions rules are there to be broken perhaps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Just of Aurora Baltic R307 16 nights,had 4 formal black tie nights,however puffer jackets zipped up,in the MDR was acceptable  attire as where old jeans in Sindu on one of these occasions rules are there to be broken perhaps!

Four formal nights 😮 2 is more than enough

7 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

A puffer jacket…..? 🙄

There’ll be back to front baseball caps 🧢 being worn next in the MDR on a formal night…. (oh hang on, I’ve seen that too 🤣).

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I'm surprised you packed a puffer jacket for your Aurora cruise .Still, it can get a bit chilly in the evenings.🤔

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1