All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

19 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

The only difference between the standard and formal night menu on the cruise I am on Azura at the moment is a small cup of cold spiced tomato soup.

There has been nothing impressive about them at all. 

As a result I have opted out of the majority, choosing the Glass House instead on those nights. 

I agree - I also went to the Glasshouse last night - the very small extra charge far outweighs the standard of food.  Enjoying the cruise overall though.

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

The only difference between the standard and formal night menu on the cruise I am on Azura at the moment is a small cup of cold spiced tomato soup.

There has been nothing impressive about them at all. 

As a result I have opted out of the majority, choosing the Glass House instead on those nights. 

Unfortunately we have grown out of formal nights, but in February we kind of gatecrashed the BIL's birthday cruise on Azura as it was DW's birthday as well. They enjoy formal nights, so we conformed.  Dinner in the MDR was fine. In April I got a bargain from a TA for Azura . 7 night cruise ,3 nights in Malta and BA flights for £700 in a balcony. We booked it and they joined us. We skipped formal nights and ate in the Glasshouse and beachhouse. We much preferred that. On Arvia next April our formal clothes have decided to have a break and stay at home.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

Just 19 days until our Aurora 65 nighter and still no details on the Cruise Personaliser about which nights are formal nights (or even how many nights are formal). 

Apologies for not wading through 500 posts if this has already been answered, but how far in advance of the cruise is this normally posted?

Also, in the past I remember that buried somewhere within the P&O website there was a list that you could look at and it told you, by cruise number, how many formal nights there were and what, if any, theme nights there were. I can’t find it. Does it still exist?

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Just 19 days until our Aurora 65 nighter and still no details on the Cruise Personaliser about which nights are formal nights (or even how many nights are formal). 

Apologies for not wading through 500 posts if this has already been answered, but how far in advance of the cruise is this normally posted?

Also, in the past I remember that buried somewhere within the P&O website there was a list that you could look at and it told you, by cruise number, how many formal nights there were and what, if any, theme nights there were. I can’t find it. Does it still exist?

Never seen that, but all ships, except Arvia and Iona have two formal nights a week. 

18 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Never seen that, but all ships, except Arvia and Iona have two formal nights a week. 

So that’s 18 or 19 formal nights for us then 😳 Better hope that I can still get into my dinner suit by the time they are in to double figures 😂 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

So that’s 18 or 19 formal nights for us then 😳 Better hope that I can still get into my dinner suit by the time they are in to double figures 😂 

Yeah. The sea air is not kind to clohes. 😁

• Haha 1

P&O seem to have done away with dress codes almost entirely. Though that is probably because of the standard of cruiser they are now happy to attract. So on normal nights on Arvia recently tee shirts, polo shirts, shorts and tracksuits were de rigeur. Even saw a football shirt one night.

At least on formal nights everyone in the MDR's was smart, jackets and ties are required with shirt and trousers though not necessarily black tie. Still some idiots who sit in the Atrium in shorts and tee shirts gawping at everybody though whilst claiming their free champagne. Well it is a booze cruise after all!

28 minutes ago, Grimsby Mariner said:

P&O seem to have done away with dress codes almost entirely. Though that is probably because of the standard of cruiser they are now happy to attract. So on normal nights on Arvia recently tee shirts, polo shirts, shorts and tracksuits were de rigeur. Even saw a football shirt one night.

At least on formal nights everyone in the MDR's was smart, jackets and ties are required with shirt and trousers though not necessarily black tie. Still some idiots who sit in the Atrium in shorts and tee shirts gawping at everybody though whilst claiming their free champagne. Well it is a booze cruise after all!

Oh no! A football shirt! How terrible. The end is nigh. 

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Grimsby Mariner said:

I can’t speak for Arvia, but the dress code was well adhered to on Britannia and Ventura and a fair proportion on Iona did as well, but admittedly not as many. Minor point, but P&O haven’t given out Champagne at the formal drinks for years. 

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I can’t speak for Arvia, but the dress code was well adhered to on Britannia and Ventura and a fair proportion on Iona did as well, but admittedly not as many. Minor point, but P&O haven’t given out Champagne at the formal drinks for years. 

The give out vouchers, but if you try and use one if you are improperly dressed you will be put on report .

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Grimsby Mariner said:

The dress code is well explained on the website and is much less formal than a few years ago. But it definitely states on non-formal evenings, there is an Evening Casual dress code including - no tracksuits, football shirts or trainers. I don't think that is too much to ask. I do not understand why people book a cruise without doing any research at all. If I am spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on anything, an item, or a holiday, I check to make sure it meets my needs before purchase. There are many casual cruise lines available, so why choose one that is not as casual as you like. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grimsby Mariner said:

I assume this a Caribbean fly cruise, which presumably will be hot weather, so surely it's not too surprising that some of the guests will want to wear hot weather clothing, even during the evening.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume this a Caribbean fly cruise, which presumably will be hot weather, so surely it's not too surprising that some of the guests will want to wear hot weather clothing, even during the evening.

Perhaps the said ' idiot ' sitting in the Atruim had just got back from an excursion and was wearing casual apparel, drinking his fizz, before returning to his suite. There the butler could dress him to the appropriate code. As you point out shorts can be appropriate in the Caribbean .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, FangedRose said:

all ships, except Arvia and Iona have two formal nights a week. 

The consensus elsewhere, based on previous Grand Voyages, is that our 65 night cruise on Aurora will have around 10 formal nights. Better than the 18 that I’d feared! I still find it amazing that just 16 days out the cruise Personaliser still states that dress code details will be confirmed closer to the cruise. Given that we have Christmas and New Year between now and then, it’s not leaving much time for any last minute clothes shopping!

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The consensus elsewhere, based on previous Grand Voyages, is that our 65 night cruise on Aurora will have around 10 formal nights. Better than the 18 that I’d feared! I still find it amazing that just 16 days out the cruise Personaliser still states that dress code details will be confirmed closer to the cruise. Given that we have Christmas and New Year between now and then, it’s not leaving much time for any last minute clothes shopping!

My friend sails on 30 December and still nothing there either!

6 hours ago, enjoysailing said:

The dress code is well explained on the website and is much less formal than a few years ago. But it definitely states on non-formal evenings, there is an Evening Casual dress code including - no tracksuits, football shirts or trainers. I don't think that is too much to ask. I do not understand why people book a cruise without doing any research at all. If I am spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on anything, an item, or a holiday, I check to make sure it meets my needs before purchase. There are many casual cruise lines available, so why choose one that is not as casual as you like. 

Well I’ve just done some research! This is a screenshot taken just now - only mentions tracksuits. 

IMG_0121.thumb.png.4bac6db6226bb942913653977f411c44.pngd

Edited by Ardennais

24 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Well I’ve just done some research! This is a screenshot taken just now - only mentions tracksuits. 

IMG_0121.thumb.png.4bac6db6226bb942913653977f411c44.pngd

The problem is they also say further down the page.  Talk about confusing 

Evening Dining dress codes

For our non-formal evenings, we have an Evening Casual dress code. Smart-casual is best - we recommend dark denim, trousers, skirts, shirts, or dresses. No tracksuits, football shirts or trainers please.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The problem is they also say further down the page.  Talk about confusing 

Evening Dining dress codes

For our non-formal evenings, we have an Evening Casual dress code. Smart-casual is best - we recommend dark denim, trousers, skirts, shirts, or dresses. No tracksuits, football shirts or trainers please.

I was just about to cut and paste the same info from our Cruise Personaliser! Football shirts definitely not acceptable for evenings, even on casual nights. Shouldn’t really need saying, but ….. (lights touch paper 🫣😂)

Edited by Selbourne
  • Haha 1