All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

12 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

They really need to proofread their website! 

I really don’t know what people have against football shirts!! 

I believe it's to try to prevent partisan arguments.  We had a lot on our last Britannia cruise which coincided with the World Cup final and the boxing day fixtures.  Unfortunately some very inebriated people in the face of others (me included) and picking arguments.

I am a very passionate football fan but most of the pubs and bars I frequent in central London away from the immediate ground areas have a ban on football shirts just for that reason. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, Selbourne said:

Just 19 days until our Aurora 65 nighter and still no details on the Cruise Personaliser about which nights are formal nights (or even how many nights are formal). 

Apologies for not wading through 500 posts if this has already been answered, but how far in advance of the cruise is this normally posted?

Also, in the past I remember that buried somewhere within the P&O website there was a list that you could look at and it told you, by cruise number, how many formal nights there were and what, if any, theme nights there were. I can’t find it. Does it still exist?

That's reminded me to check our worldie for next year.  Thank you.  Now 19 days to go as well.  Also no mention in the itinery section of My Cruise as to dress codes.

I remember the lists that used to be available re number of formals, theme nights etc.

Used to be available by this link:

Life on board - What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?| Frequently Asked Questions | P&O Cruises | Complete Cruise Solution

However, the page now only refers you to My Cruise.

That said, I still find Complete Cruise Solution still worth looking things up.  Contains stuff that is either hard to find or unavailable on the P & O site.

Also has info regarding Cunard which may be useful as you've dipped/dipping your toes into their domain.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

They really need to proofread their website! 

I really don’t know what people have against football shirts!! 

I think they are fine for daytime wear, but along with other sportswear like baseball caps, I personally don't think they are suitable as smart casual attire.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think they are fine for daytime wear, but along with other sportswear like baseball caps, I personally don't think they are suitable as smart casual attire.

I don’t think they’re suitable for smart casual either, but could be ok in Brodies. 

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t think they’re suitable for smart casual either, but could be ok in Brodies. 

Yes, I think that’s a sensible compromise. Whilst I think that the best place for football shirts is on the terraces, when a football match is being shown in Brodies it would seem churlish not to allow fans of each team to show their allegiance. I also agree that they are not suitable attire for evening wear though, even on casual nights, and I’m glad that P&O state that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Baseball caps worn backwards by middle aged blokes.....Sad. did you see that emerdale actor a couple of weeks ago on Sunday brunch ?. .....look at me, I'm still a yooff...man.🤣

On 12/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, Selbourne said:

Just 19 days until our Aurora 65 nighter and still no details on the Cruise Personaliser about which nights are formal nights (or even how many nights are formal). 

Have you checked this morning?  Ours for February has appeared overnight.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:43 PM, FangedRose said:

Yeah. The sea air is not kind to clohes. 😁

Same with Covid; after working from home for sixteen months, I found all my suits had shrunk in the wardrobe.🙄

Edited by TigerB
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Have you checked this morning?  Ours for February has appeared overnight.

Thanks. Yes, just checked and now appeared. We have 11 “Black Tie” nights (as they are described - thought they were now Celebration or Formal nights) which out of 65 nights seems manageable. Two a week would have been too much. All sea days. 

23 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. Yes, just checked and now appeared. We have 11 “Black Tie” nights (as they are described - thought they were now Celebration or Formal nights) which out of 65 nights seems manageable. Two a week would have been too much. All sea days. 

On our 14 night cruise in January its showing 1 celebration  night and 1 black tie night both on sea days, can someomne explain whats the difference ??

cheers

rob

47 minutes ago, Cash123 said:

On our 14 night cruise in January its showing 1 celebration  night and 1 black tie night both on sea days, can someomne explain whats the difference ??

cheers

rob

No difference really. The Celebration night is usually when you get a free glass of cheap and unpleasant fizz and a few words from the Captain. Both are essentially black tie / formal nights which usually have a slightly better menu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

P&O should definitely rename it to something else if that photo is how they see it. 'Black Tie' is an actual dress code that has requirements. It was actually created in the Victorian era as a more relaxed evening dress not requiring a tail coat for dinner. If anyone receives an invite to an event with the dress code as 'Black Tie' it does not mean turn up as the gentleman shown in the photo above!!

I am not saying you cannot go to dinner on a P&O ship dressed like that - but just don't call it 'Black Tie'.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, laslomas said:

P&O should definitely rename it to something else if that photo is how they see it. 'Black Tie' is an actual dress code that has requirements. It was actually created in the Victorian era as a more relaxed evening dress not requiring a tail coat for dinner. If anyone receives an invite to an event with the dress code as 'Black Tie' it does not mean turn up as the gentleman shown in the photo above!!

I am not saying you cannot go to dinner on a P&O ship dressed like that - but just don't call it 'Black Tie'.

Yes, that's definitely not Black Tie in the P&O photo. The tie surely is part of it?? I just searched for definitions of black tie dress code and the tie can be any colour but not white. It seems that is another dress code (tail coats and floor length ball gowns). Makes interesting reading. 

4 hours ago, laslomas said:

"Black tie night without a tie" would do it.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, laslomas said:

I think we have moved on somewhat since the Victorian era, I quite like the “No Black Tie Black Tie Night”  look as I find ties to constraining I own very few now, I gave most of mine to a local charity shop. 😬

• Like 1

Just now, Snow Hill said:

I think we have moved on somewhat since the Victorian era, I quite like the “No Black Tie Black Tie Night”  look as I find ties to constraining I own very few now, I gave most of mine to a local charity shop. 😬

I agree - just think that it needs to be described correctly. After all, a dress code of Black Tie, has a meaning.