All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I think we have moved on somewhat since the Victorian era, I quite like the “No Black Tie Black Tie Night”  look as I find ties to constraining I own very few now, I gave most of mine to a local charity shop. 😬

I think if I am going to the trouble of taking a tuxedo and a dress shirt then I ought to wear a bow tie. If I was going to go lifeless I would need to buy a new tendy collared white shirt and a more trendy looking dinner jacket and trousers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Just as the photo shows. 
IMG_0082.thumb.png.155409adfec57fdb4ad93ea1c4fa5ec1.png

Well they have sneaked that change in. As others have said how can it be promoted as a "Black tie" event when a tie let alone a black one is not a requirement. You are allowed to bring along your best tie whatever that means, a flashing one or a rotating dickie bow etc. It only can be described as a Jacket night.

Probably the likes of me are to blame as I have complained to P&O that some of their offerings on formal nights are an insult to my dinner suit and it's gone into a sulk.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think if I am going to the trouble of taking a tuxedo and a dress shirt then I ought to wear a bow tie. If I was going to go lifeless I would need to buy a new tendy collared white shirt and a more trendy looking dinner jacket and trousers.

Oh dear, I hope you don’t go lifeless! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think if I am going to the trouble of taking a tuxedo and a dress shirt then I ought to wear a bow tie. If I was going to go lifeless I would need to buy a new trendy collared white shirt and a more trendy looking dinner jacket and trousers.

That of course should read tieless.

We’ve been discussing this move away from the rigid dress codes for years, arguments on both sides as to whether it would or should change. 

It was inevitable, it’s happened, and I suspect it will soon be completely forgotten, just like all the other changes over recent years. It was always a cynical ploy by P&O to glamourise the rather ordinary, but they can’t really get away with that one any more!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We’ve been discussing this move away from the rigid dress codes for years, arguments on both sides as to whether it would or should change. 

It was inevitable, it’s happened, and I suspect it will soon be completely forgotten, just like all the other changes over recent years. It was always a cynical ploy by P&O to glamourise the rather ordinary, but they can’t really get away with that one any more!

If it was a P&O ploy, then they have to congratulated on getting all the mainstream cruise lines to copy them. 

Just now, terrierjohn said:

If it was a P&O ploy, then they have to congratulated on getting all the mainstream cruise lines to copy them. 

Once upon a time, some years ago, most of the mainstream cruise lines had formal dining.  P&O was just one of many, and it fitted in quite nicely with the level of service and food on offer.  No problems at all with that.

But, and it's a very big 'but', cruising on P&O has moved very much away from those halcyon (but admittedly much more expensive) days.  Arguably, others such as Cunard, haven't shifted their demographic as much as P&O has. Formal dress covered over some of those changes for a few years - presentation is everything - but there comes a point when the mutton dressed as lamb just remains looking like mutton.

My knowledge of other cruise lines is limited, but I have known P&O pretty well and it's a very different product from the one it was even a few years ago.  Much younger clientele, much less formal, and formal dress just doesn't work any more.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Once upon a time, some years ago, most of the mainstream cruise lines had formal dining.  P&O was just one of many, and it fitted in quite nicely with the level of service and food on offer.  No problems at all with that.

But, and it's a very big 'but', cruising on P&O has moved very much away from those halcyon (but admittedly much more expensive) days.  Arguably, others such as Cunard, haven't shifted their demographic as much as P&O has. Formal dress covered over some of those changes for a few years - presentation is everything - but there comes a point when the mutton dressed as lamb just remains looking like mutton.

My knowledge of other cruise lines is limited, but I have known P&O pretty well and it's a very different product from the one it was even a few years ago.  Much younger clientele, much less formal, and formal dress just doesn't work any more.

You would still find that Princess, RC and Celebrity, of the ones that I have sailed, still have some sort of formal night. They often now will give it a fancy name, but in reality it is still the old formal night, and I imagine Fred, Ambience, Saga and many others still have a formal night.

And most mainstream cruise lines will have reduced their "standards", to match the demands and price sensitivity of their customers.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I understand the dumbing down of the formality aspect to supposedly suit a younger demographic. I agree with a previous commenter that the name and description given to the Formal night by P&O as 'Black Tie' is where it comes unstuck as that does not fit the accompanied photo and description.

I am confused by the mutton dressed as lamb comment, that well known saying is to do with age rather than 'poshness'. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You would still find that Princess, RC and Celebrity, of the ones that I have sailed, still have some sort of formal night. They often now will give it a fancy name, but in reality it is still the old formal night, and I imagine Fred, Ambience, Saga and many others still have a formal night.

And most mainstream cruise lines will have reduced their "standards", to match the demands and price sensitivity of their customers.

I can confirm that Saga still have formal nights, three in a two week cruise. This surprised me as the lines which I regard as their direct competitors - Viking, Oceania and Azamara - only have smart casual.

Edited by Denarius
clarification
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

https://www.pocruises.com/what-to-wear?fbclid=IwAR2LiRb8xm8K15RycDo07ruFAGwQALIijcehtibr0bTa7MzQZx0P_PJ9-sU                                 Oooh I was wrong.  It's changed again.  You really couldn't make it up.  Tie now required (as much as it ever was) 

I can foresee a few arguments on the horizon and it will only be as good as the crew imposing the rules 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, devonuk said:

I can foresee a few arguments on the horizon and it will only be as good as the crew imposing the rules 🤦‍♂️

This yoyoing does not do anyone any favours. Passengers do not (and cannot be expected to) constantly check the website to see what this week's - or should it be today's? - interpetation of the dress code is. Not a great problem if the code has been relaxed but a potential source of embarrasment if it has been tightened unbeknown to some passengers.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Denarius said:

This yoyoing does not do anyone any favours. Passengers do not (and cannot be expected to) constantly check the website to see what this week's - or should it be today's? - interpetation of the dress code is. Not a great problem if the code has been relaxed but a potential source of embarrasment if it has been tightened unbeknown to some passengers.

Hopefully one day they will drop the whole farce altogether and just have smart casual as evening option, after we are on holiday not attending an awards function. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Hopefully one day they will drop the whole farce altogether and just have smart casual as evening option, after we are on holiday not attending an awards function. 

But some customers prefer the other option and seek out the cruise lines that still have formal nights 👍

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, devonuk said:

But some customers prefer the other option and seek out the cruise lines that still have formal nights 👍

I have no problem at all with people choosing formal dress. By the same token, though, I hope they’ll be equally tolerant about my smart casual. 😉

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have no problem at all with people choosing formal dress. By the same token, though, I hope they’ll be equally tolerant about my smart casual. 😉

I agree Harry. But, I think the danger is that by lowering the dress code, standards will slip even further and P&O then has to have the 🎾🎾 to turn those away wearing inappropriate clothing for dinner.

But - one persons idea of smart casual might be a onesie or pyjamas. Where do they draw the line. 
I honestly don’t know what the answer is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I agree Harry. But, I think the danger is that by lowering the dress code, standards will slip even further and P&O then has to have the 🎾🎾 to turn those away wearing inappropriate clothing for dinner.

But - one persons idea of smart casual might be a onesie or pyjamas. Where do they draw the line. 

One thing for sure is that whatever the dress code not everyone will be happy with it. As I am getting older I am now preferring a more casual approach in general. One formal night per week is fine for me especially as we tend to do longer cruises. My idea of smart casual is chinos/trousers and a nice shirt and I feel very comfortable with that. 

• Like 7

On 1/5/2024 at 8:20 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Once upon a time, some years ago, ..........   but there comes a point when the mutton dressed as lamb just remains looking like mutton.

Mrs Bucket comes to mind.🤣

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

On our next Arvia cruise there are 2 formal nights. Our formal clothes can't really be bothered and have decided to stay at home this time. We have plenty of alternative places to eat. We hope the folk partaking enjoy there evening.  So will we.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Yes you can imagine the dialogue.

How dare you! I will have you know that these are designer ripped jeans and cost much than a Primark dinner suit. (other brands are available)

• Like 3