Celebrity Cruise Pricing

High on the Seas

17 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

All well and good. However, if you're going to raise prices 150%+ AND cut back quality to non-premium levels, it won't sustain itself.  There'll still be people who pay it, but they'll be many more who'll take that money elsewhere. That's a balancing act I wouldn't want to be responsible for. 

Again, this is not unique to Celebrity or cruising. Our recent trip to London saw reduction in services in the hotel and a bar where you had to ring for service, not seen this before. Every business in the tourist industry in our experience is doing the same. So taking that money elsewhere may not be that simple an option. But let’s be tunnel visioned and think it’s only Celebrity doing this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Again, this is not unique to Celebrity or cruising. Our recent trip to London saw reduction in services in the hotel and a bar where you had to ring for service, not seen this before. Every business in the tourist industry in our experience is doing the same. So taking that money elsewhere may not be that simple an option. But let’s be tunnel visioned and think it’s only Celebrity doing this.

It's everywhere, yes, but I've not seen the increases in Princess or Holland America that Celebrity is pushing.  Increases, yes, but not to the tune of 100-300% increases.

But, hey, if they can find people to pay it then more power to them.... until that's no longer true....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

2020-present I've spend over a 100 nights in hotels.  I did see some reduction of services in 2020 generally with no-daily housekeeping and the on site restaurant(s) had reduced hours and/or menus but all seemed to return to normal in 2021.  A third of my stays were in the FLL area

In 2020 the worst hotels were the ones who didn't have daily housekeeping and wouldn't let you pick up additional towels/toiletries/coffee pods from the front desk, you had to call housekeeping, wait a half hour for them to deliver them and of course delivery person is fishing for a tip with a sob story.  The better hotels would offer you additional items like towels at check in

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Well, it's a Celebrity forum, so I think I'll concentrate on Celebrity. That's just me though. 

• Thanks 1

When it comes to prices of any commodity  ,the law id supply & demand comes into focus .Should the prices be too high for any product  or service then that product or service will sit on the shelves until the pricing is driven down . Not hard to understand

• Like 1

Our Time Share is & has been the best buy we made . The price  of even maintenance   has not  gone up like hotels or cruises   .Of course we bought a high end time share ,Westin ;which is now in the Marriott family .We even get better deals on hotel stays being the high level we are at with Marriott

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Our Time Share is & has been the best buy we made . The price  of even maintenance   has not  gone up like hotels or cruises   .Of course we bought a high end time share ,Westin ;which is now in the Marriott family .We even get better deals on hotel stays being the high level we are at with Marriott

We are loading up on time shares, cruise stocks, and crypto currencies in our retirement. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Well, it's a Celebrity forum, so I think I'll concentrate on Celebrity. That's just me though. 

But reflecting on what’s going on in the wider world helps put the Celebrity situation in context I think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

It's everywhere, yes, but I've not seen the increases in Princess or Holland America that Celebrity is pushing.  Increases, yes, but not to the tune of 100-300% increases.

But, hey, if they can find people to pay it then more power to them.... until that's no longer true....

Have not seen larger increases recently from Celebrity/Royal than HAL/Princess.  Royal noted last week.that bookings were at all time record levels.  Europe and Pacific Coast/Alaska very strong.  Caribbean not as strong.  Have seen decreases in some cruises out of Florida and Texas.

10 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have not seen larger increases recently from Celebrity/Royal than HAL/Princess.  Royal noted last week.that bookings were at all time record levels.  Europe and Pacific Coast/Alaska very strong.  Caribbean not as strong.  Have seen decreases in some cruises out of Florida and Texas.

Sorry but I disagree.  Princess has not had the huge increases in suites that Celebrity has in the last year and going into 2024 and 2025. We're booked on a Princess in 2024 and the price is not markedly more than a similar sailing in 2019.  Can't say the same for Celebrity.

But as I have said, numerous times now, if X & yeah, Royal, can get it then more power to them......

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Sorry but I disagree.  Princess has not had the huge increases in suites that Celebrity has in the last year and going into 2024 and 2025. We're booked on a Princess in 2024 and the price is not markedly more than a similar sailing in 2019.  Can't say the same for Celebrity.

But as I have said, numerous times now, if X & yeah, Royal, can get it then more power to them......

hard part in all these discussions people are not always comparing Apples to Apples 

some people are talk about suits others are talking about minions cabins ,

some talk Aways include others are talking basic 

I find when I compare Celebrity to HAL and Princess in minion cabins with Always include packages they are Similar in price 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I don’t make any decision strictly on the cost, it’s based on my perceived value of what I’m getting. That’s why I paid over $3,000 for a tv Black Friday 2021. One of the best buys ever ever.

Back to the subject. I didn’t think there was enough value in 2019 to cruise, and what I’ve read things aren’t any better now, so even if the price stayed the same, it would still be a no go.

I cruised recently on Equinox using FCC's that I had built up from cancelled cruises.  Now going forward I will evaluate very carefully the Celebrity product vs other lines.  Of interest, the pandemic shut down showed me the value of many other non-cruise vacations.  So I am no longer committed to cruising as a primary vacation choice and no longer committed to Celebrity.  Lesson learned!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Next month I'm on Millennium sailing out of San Juan. There's nothing comparable in 2024, but in 2025, Summit sails from there, which as you know is the same class ship and both are revolutionized.

To compare to my current March 2023 booking, I chose the same week in March 2025, same stateroom category, right down to the same cabin #. The fare is higher by 108%.

To answer your question, no, I don't expect cruise prices to be the same as 2019. But I would ask you, do you think more than double is appropriate?

Wow that is a great illustration.  And a ridiculous increase!  I was trying to point out that all prices that we deal with are very much elevated these days.  We should expect cruise price increases in general.  But no way that the same cabin and ship/class should be up 108%.  I actually do not have another Celebrity cruise booked at all- for the first time in years.  We are renting a beach house for a month- for less than the price of a Celebrity cruise for a week in the Retreat.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:54 PM, mom says said:

Another YAGE thread? This is not an airport; no requirement to announce your departure.

I actually thought the above was funny and somewhat appropriate.

Saying you're privileged enough to only book Aqua class doesn't illicit much sympathy..."oh, poor you...book something cheaper next time" 

Edited by mac66

57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Of interest, the pandemic shut down showed me the value of many other non-cruise vacations.  So I am no longer committed to cruising as a primary vacation choice

We enjoyed some wonderful pandemic land-based vacations within driving distance of our home.  These definitely opened our minds to a broader variety of non-cruise travel.  Although it will be noted that it seems like we have been on an awful lot of cruises since cruising resumed.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Royal noted last week.that bookings were at all time record levels.

I wonder if this is still thanks to post-pandemic pent up demand.

Higher number of berths online equals higher number of bookings?

Also, I see a tremendous amount of advertising from them and Celebrity.

We have quite a few cabins/suites available on my Beyond TA, even Sunset Suites which are usually filled.  I wonder what that means, in terms of opportunity cost.  I still hear people saying on SM that, they got Covid after returning home from a cruise in the Caribbean, along with friends on other cruise ships.  Some people still do not want to go through testing by Celebrity, but are fine with doing their own test and sharing a photo.

TBH, there are so many reasons why these things are happening, but is there a major driving force, or just a lot of reasons why?  How much is SM contributing to bookings and cancellations, as there are so many more venues now.  Many cruise to eat and drink, but others enjoy a wide variety of things onboard, so one or two things that have changed do not affect them with the bigger picture of cruising.  Everyone loves a bargain, but they are a little harder to find nowadays.  How many of all the bookings will end up in the dumpster?

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I wonder if this is still thanks to post-pandemic pent up demand.

Higher number of berths online equals higher number of bookings?

Also, I see a tremendous amount of advertising from them and Celebrity.

If you look just at RCCL and Celebrity, there are a lot of new ships and cabins of all types.  And more being built and launched.  No older ships have been taken from the fleet.  So as a general observation, all of these added cabins should work in the cruise consumer's favor at some point.  Ships gotta sail full to maximize profits.  Cabins maybe need to be priced competitively at some point you would think.  Then add all of the new ships and new builds from other competing lines.   There should be a lot of available inventory out there for us if we are not too choosy.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

We have quite a few cabins/suites available on my Beyond TA, even Sunset Suites which are usually filled.  I wonder what that means, in terms of opportunity cost.  I still hear people saying on SM that, they got Covid after returning home from a cruise in the Caribbean, along with friends on other cruise ships.  Some people still do not want to go through testing by Celebrity, but are fine with doing their own test and sharing a photo.

TBH, there are so many reasons why these things are happening, but is there a major driving force, or just a lot of reasons why?  How much is SM contributing to bookings and cancellations, as there are so many more venues now.  Many cruise to eat and drink, but others enjoy a wide variety of things onboard, so one or two things that have changed do not affect them with the bigger picture of cruising.  Everyone loves a bargain, but they are a little harder to find nowadays.  How many of all the bookings will end up in the dumpster?

What is SM ? Or is that supposed to be S&M 🤔😁
our April Reflection Eastbound TA leaving in 61 days is maybe @50% booked  but the our Constellation November Westbound TA which months away if properly at 80% booked 

Suites are gone , about 3 AQU are left , 1 dozen concierge are left V1 are gone 

Do people just don’t want to do eastbound TAs ? 

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I still hear people saying on SM that, they got Covid after returning home from a cruise in the Caribbean, along with friends on other cruise ships.

^^^This.^^^

Who  hasn't?  I hear this all. the. time. when I am talking cruise with someone.  And not just the Caribbean.

I bowl with about 50 neighbors weekly.  This week I was talking with 2 neighbors who got off Celebrity in the last 2 weeks.  1 couple had a nice time on Equinox but both had covid when they got home.  The other were on Apex and thought the food and service had gone way downhill.

I think both issues will continue to put pressure for Celebrity to adjust.

• Like 1

I just priced a cruise that leaves in 3 days on the Apex.  An S1 suite is priced at $10,355 for a one week western Carib cruise.  In comparison, I sailed in an S1 suite on Apex  back in December for a one week cruise and paid $5400 total  (granted, decent price, booked onboard the Summit in June 2022)  But that's just insane.    I would think last minute, they'd try and fill the ship by offering some deals.  

Also edit:  Aquaclass was over $7000.  When did Aquaclass become $1000+ per day?  

Edited by jakebloke

15 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What is SM ? Or is that supposed to be S&M 🤔😁
our April Reflection Eastbound TA leaving in 61 days is maybe @50% booked  but the our Constellation November Westbound TA which months away if properly at 80% booked 

Suites are gone , about 3 AQU are left , 1 dozen concierge are left V1 are gone 

Do people just don’t want to do eastbound TAs ? 

I enjoy both eastbound and westbound cruises.  Eastbound, you keep losing hours; westbound you gain.  Sometimes the ports drive the cruise, but many just want to relax on the ship.  My cruise for April had all suites booked, but the closer it got to final payment, the more cabins/suites appeard and not totally unusual, but so many suites too.  Westbound you are leaving; eastbound you are going, so ports mostly at the last part of the cruise...we like TA’s, especially doing b2b’s with a TA instead of flying both ways, but then you have the airfare issue of one-way...crap shoot.

SM=Social Media, as someone posted above💬

Edited by Lastdance