Sunset Veranda, anyone?

Sigyn

I just had the opportunity to switch my regular veranda cabin on the Millennium to a Sunset Veranda when I noticed one come open, so I grabbed it. Good decision or not? No idea. We're doing an Alaskan cruise in July and it cost me an extra $176 pp to do the switch. Seemed worth it to me for the bigger balcony and gorgeous views we'll see from the aft of the ship. I looked and it appears there are only nine Sunset Verandas on the Millennium. There are a few other aft balconies but they are bigger and hold five passengers and have a sliding partition. Has anyone here stayed in a Sunset Veranda on an M-class ship? I watched videos and they look pretty awesome. 

Yes for that price difference it would be a no brainer.   The aft views are amazing.  Also being in the aft there is very little foot traffic so it's very quiet as well.   On M class with the Aft elevators it's very convenient to get places like the buffet.   Deck 9 can have some complaints about chairs scraping above.   We love deck 8.  The balcony is amazing. 

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 3

We have one booked in April on the Millenium for Southern Caribbean Bumped ours up from an inside so was a no-brainer when the price was good. We've generally only done insides but have upgraded to aft balconies since Covid on 3 of our cruises and we have an aft booked for Hawaii in 2024 (Edge).

When it comes to balconies, I have "go big or go home" (inside) kind of thought process - 😉

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes for that price difference it would be a no brainer.   The aft views are amazing.  Also being in the aft there is very little foot traffic so it's very quiet as well.   On M class with the Aft elevators it's very convenient to get places like the buffet.   Deck 9 can have some complaints about chairs scraping above.   We love deck 8.  The balcony is amazing. 

we are on deck 8, cabin 8170. looks like we got lucky! thanks for your input.

40 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We have one booked in April on the Millenium for Southern Caribbean Bumped ours up from an inside so was a no-brainer when the price was good. We've generally only done insides but have upgraded to aft balconies since Covid on 3 of our cruises and we have an aft booked for Hawaii in 2024 (Edge).

When it comes to balconies, I have "go big or go home" (inside) kind of thought process - 😉

that's my husband's favorite saying - go big or go home. love it!

11 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

An M-class aft balcony is my happy place.  It's one of the reasons I tend to book mostly M-class ships.  The view and sound of the wake are hypnotic.  Enjoy!

I've never stayed in an aft balcony. I'm looking forward to experiencing my first. Why are they better on M-class than other ships?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I've never stayed in an aft balcony. I'm looking forward to experiencing my first. Why are they better on M-class than other ships?

Larger balcony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

I tried one once on a Solstice class ship and hated the uncovered balcony. It was always too hot for me. I much prefer a deeper hump cabin on Solstice class ships.

The Sunset Verandas on Edge class ships are fantastic though. Big enough balconies for lounge chairs and partially covered and they beautiful, large AE538D7C-A38D-4F4A-BFA9-89F4E2A4DCA6.thumb.jpeg.e5d8cf0003b7e0c07a8c1d4ffe096236.jpeg9F6C5387-E2F2-456A-BC88-190AD29DFF33.thumb.jpeg.0ffa9803022e3c37c5564597f20e6910.jpegcabins

Edited by Torfamm
Added photos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

Enormous balconies with both sun and shade plus M-class has aft elevators so it isn't that long trek to the center ones every time.  Perfect.

• Thanks 1

We thoroughly enjoyed our aft balcony on the Summit.  The only thing I would recommend is take a quick look at the furniture before sitting down to ensure there is no soot on it!  My first time in an aft I had no idea to check and of course I was wearing the only pair of white capris that I had packed for the cruise lol.  Enjoy!!!

Edited by Reel Love

32 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I tried one once on a Solstice class ship and hated the uncovered balcony. It was always too hot for me. I much prefer a deeper hump cabin on Solstice class ships.

The Sunset Verandas on Edge class ships are fantastic though. Big enough balconies for lounge chairs and partially covered and they beautiful, large AE538D7C-A38D-4F4A-BFA9-89F4E2A4DCA6.thumb.jpeg.e5d8cf0003b7e0c07a8c1d4ffe096236.jpeg9F6C5387-E2F2-456A-BC88-190AD29DFF33.thumb.jpeg.0ffa9803022e3c37c5564597f20e6910.jpegcabins

We are booked on our first Edge class ship in an Sunset veranda in 10271 on the Edge . We were in a IV and a sunset veranda came available!! Which cabin were you in ??

I love an aft view ! You will be very happy njsmom with your choice!! 

1 hour ago, sdnich said:

We are booked on our first Edge class ship in an Sunset veranda in 10271 on the Edge . We were in a IV and a sunset veranda came available!! Which cabin were you in ??

I love an aft view ! You will be very happy njsmom with your choice!! 

The photos are from the Apex deck 9 or 10 a couple of cabins away from the center of the ship

6 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

An M-class aft balcony is my happy place.  It's one of the reasons I tend to book mostly M-class ships.  The view and sound of the wake are hypnotic.  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Enormous balconies with both sun and shade plus M-class has aft elevators so it isn't that long trek to the center ones every time.  Perfect.

@njsmomI could not agree more with the above assessments.  Enjoy!

OP: In the last part of you post:  I think you are talking about the family veranda's, they have a different name and they are repriced now, I think.  If you search for that you'll find info.  Anyway, those are great rooms, I had one of those once. 

3 hours ago, Reel Love said:

We thoroughly enjoyed our aft balcony on the Summit.  The only thing I would recommend is take a quick look at the furniture before sitting down to ensure there is no soot on it!  My first time in an aft I had no idea to check and of course I was wearing the only pair of white capris that I had packed for the cruise lol.  Enjoy!!!

That is a very important tip!!! Thank you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

OP: In the last part of you post:  I think you are talking about the family veranda's, they have a different name and they are repriced now, I think.  If you search for that you'll find info.  Anyway, those are great rooms, I had one of those once. 

Yes, that's it. One of those popped open a week or so ago and it was quite a bit more. Way more than I was willing to spend. It was about $600 or $700 more pp. 

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

On deck 9 you can get chair movement noise from above.  Still a good choice.

We're on deck 8. 

7 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Yes, that's it. One of those popped open a week or so ago and it was quite a bit more. Way more than I was willing to spend. It was about $600 or $700 more pp. 

You know, depending on the predicted weather and if it was a cruise of more than 7 days or so, I would pay it.  Those are great cabins and balcony, I was on deck 8 in one.  Having a real table and chairs for breakfast room service is a game changer. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

You know, depending on the predicted weather and if it was a cruise of more than 7 days or so, I would pay it.  Those are great cabins and balcony, I was on deck 8 in one.  Having a real table and chairs for breakfast room service is a game changer. 

I can understand that. I was in a savings mode at that moment. I had just changed our AQ veranda to a non-AQ without a drink or wi-fi package and saved $3,000, so to change it to a family balcony and add $1,400 back to the cost didn't make sense. And now it's all worked out, for just $360 more I was able to get a sunset veranda. And even better, I used some of the savings to buy an unplanned $2,900 bonus cruise to do a mother-son cruise for spring break with my son in five weeks. 🙂 

• Like 3

We had an aft balcony when we did our Alaska cruise and I wouldn’t do Alaska without one!  The views you get from these cabins while cruising through the inside passage are basically 180 degrees, and you can see both sides of the channel simply by standing at your railing.  If you’re going to Glacier Bay, the expansive view simply can’t be beat.

you’ll walk further to things, but it’s a great way to get your steps in.  Don’t forget to bring layers of clothing, Alaska weather can vary greatly.

• Like 2