MMJ Edibles on board

I have chronic back pain after more than 5 surgeries on it, and now fused almost totally. I take prescription pain medications but I am also on medical Marijuana, I use the edibles such as gummies and I also use CBD edibles? Other than the pain medication will the cruise ship allow the CBD edibles even if they won’t allow the THC…

Suggestions greatly appreciated 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but the answer is no and there are a couple reasons.  One, MJ is still illegal federally, so it is a crime to cross state lines, not to mention the laws of the locations visited.  This includes CBD with THC content.  Two, cruise lines are held to a zero-tolerance policy, which means no illegal drugs of any sort are allowed on board.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Sorry, but the answer is no and there are a couple reasons.  One, MJ is still illegal federally, so it is a crime to cross state lines, not to mention the laws of the locations visited.  This includes CBD with THC content.  Two, cruise lines are held to a zero-tolerance policy, which means no illegal drugs of any sort are allowed on board.  

Is it an "illegal drug" even if medically prescribed?   There are commonly prescribed medicines here that I think would be illegal in other countries (or illegal here without a prescription).  I wonder how the cruise lines determine which ones are not allowed.  I suspect in most cases a physician prescription is a key factor, but don't really know.   

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Is it an "illegal drug" even if medically prescribed?   There are commonly prescribed medicines here that I think would be illegal in other countries (or illegal here without a prescription).  I wonder how the cruise lines determine which ones are not allowed.  I suspect in most cases a physician prescription is a key factor, but don't really know.   

It doesn't matter whether it is medically prescribed.  The ships fall under the laws of the flag state, not the country where the passenger is from, and further, they are restricted by the IMO's regulations on dangerous drugs.  Just as some nations will limit or ban certain drugs regardless of whether prescribed by a doctor (and that doctor has no license to practice in their country), even nations like Holland, where marijuana is "decriminalized", it is banned on ships that fly their flag, as the WHO and IMO still consider it to be a dangerous drug, and the ships must meet these requirements.

Very similar to the last couple of years, folks asking if paxlovid was available on cruise ships, it would depend on the approval of the drug by the flag state, under whose auspices the doctors onboard operate, not the country where the passenger is from.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

The answer is no, you can't bring these gummies aboard.

Now, whether or not you will get caught is a different matter. While I wouldn't do it myself, I would expect that gummies would go undetected. 

How will the cruise ship security people ever know a person is carrying gummies or any other form of medical marijuana unless the person tells someone.

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if they are carried by a person wrapped in tinfoil ?

They can definitely smell through tin foil.  About the only thing a dog can't smell through is a hermetically sealed glass jar.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The answer is no, you can't bring these gummies aboard.

Now, whether or not you will get caught is a different matter. While I wouldn't do it myself, I would expect that gummies would go undetected. 

This is NOT something I would recommend doing when crossing international borders, and *especially* with certain international borders! 😱

GC

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Is it an "illegal drug" even if medically prescribed? 

Yes.  Legality of THC based products is determined by each individual state; however, it is still illegal federally.  That means it is illegal to cross a state line and exit/enter the country with it.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

They can definitely smell through tin foil.  About the only thing a dog can't smell through is a hermetically sealed glass jar.

45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Yes.  Legality of THC based products is determined by each individual state; however, it is still illegal federally.  That means it is illegal to cross a state line and exit/enter the country with it.   

45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

What if a person swallows a medical marijuana capsule before boarding and in port  ?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, CrznMyLifeAway said:

I have chronic back pain after more than 5 surgeries on it, and now fused almost totally. I take prescription pain medications but I am also on medical Marijuana, I use the edibles such as gummies and I also use CBD edibles? Other than the pain medication will the cruise ship allow the CBD edibles even if they won’t allow the THC…

Suggestions greatly appreciated 

I find it interesting that Gummie Vitamins and gummy edibles are very similar in appearance.  Almost like someone could by a bottle of vitamins and replace said gummies with edibles.  Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if a person swallows a medical marijuana capsule before boarding and in port  ?

Not at the port.  Ports in the U.S. are Coast Guard regulated facilities, so it's not legal on the property.  As long as it's legal in the state, chew away at the hotel before heading to the port.  

Just now, Aquahound said:

Not at the port.  Ports in the U.S. are Coast Guard regulated facilities, so it's not legal on the property.  As long as it's legal in the state, chew away at the hotel before heading to the port.  

How would anyone know if a person swallows a capsule at a port ?

• Haha 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

For that matter, I doubt anyone would care. If you were smoking a joint outside the door, maybe someone would say something, but I've seen people shooting up on the streets and nobody does a thing.  In the scheme of things, I'll take someone chewing on an edible vs. someone spiking themselves on a sidewalk. 

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Truthfully, the chances of getting caught at that point are slim, but it still could happen. Ports have dogs.  That's up to them if the risk it worth it.  But if you're going to binge last minute before a cruise, why not just do it a little earlier where there is no risk?  

I remember an epic thread from several years back where someone got caught trying to board with drugs in a fake shaving cream can that was hidden in a bag with snorkel gear.  As you can imagine, they came on here trying to plead their case but it did not change the fact that they were not allowed to board, and they were out thousands of dollars.  

• Like 2

Just to make it clear, I'm not suggesting that the person should bring their gummies. If I were in that situation, I wouldn't either. I wouldn't risk it. I was just stating that for a product, such as a gummy, the odds of it being caught are probably small. However, I wouldn't suggest they press their luck.

• Thanks 1

I boarded a cruise In Jacksonville last Thursday.  I entered the terminal building and before I could advance to security /checkin, I had to put my bags down and let the cute German shepherd sniff them.  Apparently he wasn’t interested in my box of Frosted Flakes…because I was allowed to continue.  EM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It depends on your departure point. Marijuana is legal in Canada and dogs don't search for it in our terminals. If it were medically necessary and prescribed I'd carry it on if boarding in a Canadian port. Were I in a port where cannabis is legal I might even buy gummies for recreational purposes and bring them on board making sure they were consumed before the end of the cruise. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It depends on your departure point. Marijuana is legal in Canada and dogs don't search for it in our terminals. If it were medically necessary and prescribed I'd carry it on if boarding in a Canadian port. Were I in a port where cannabis is legal I might even buy gummies for recreational purposes and bring them on board making sure they were consumed before the end of the cruise. 

Do "authorities" occasionally bring sniffer dogs on board in other, intermediate ports?

GC

• Like 1

Bringing medical cannabidiol on board violates passenger contracts. While the chances of a gummy being detected may be very low, consider the consequences and remember a stateroom is visited and tidied at least once a day by ship personnel.

I would advise the OP to consult their pain management team for possible temporary alternatives.

• Like 1