Are pre-paid gratuities even worth it any more?

CuseJeff44

16 minutes ago, StingBeanz said:

I wish that I took a photo of the note accompanying the envelopes that were left in our Cabin as we neared the end of our Connie cruise a few weeks ago. The note listed the suggested additional cash gratuities for the Cabin Steward, waiter and I believe the beverage steward. 

It went a little beyond just the envelopes, it kind of felt like they were implying or requesting that you do this. 

Wow.  I would not be happy to see that.  We gladly tip extra to anyone who has gone above and beyond for us, whether it's the guy who makes sure my husband's GF pizza is perfect, or the server in AB who starts making the coffees for my husband the minute they see him enter.  I wouldn't like to be "strongly encouraged" to leave set amounts for anyone. 

Did you leave the auto grats on?  Just wondering if these envelopes are provided to those who have taken the auto gratuities off?   If not, I would have some strong words for Celebrity if I found something like that in my cabin.

• Like 1

Pre paid gratuities are worth to us. I like it and wouldn't mind if Celebrity added the gratuity into the cruise fare. We have never got the impression from a staff member they were hinting, expecting additional gratuities. We would never remove gratuities. No matter the experience. If our service or something was that bad (never has been) I would be privately speaking with that person first and if no improvement, then to the HD. And a follow up on my PCS.

• Like 1

We got off Reflection on Sunday, and I never once felt as though anyone expected any cash gratuity (we did have a drink package and pre-paid gratuities).  While we did give some cash gratutities to those who really went above and beyond, a few of those actually thanked us for "the extra" which seemed to imply that it truly is not expected.

56 minutes ago, StingBeanz said:

I wish that I took a photo of the note accompanying the envelopes that were left in our Cabin as we neared the end of our Connie cruise a few weeks ago. The note listed the suggested additional cash gratuities for the Cabin Steward, waiter and I believe the beverage steward. 

It went a little beyond just the envelopes, it kind of felt like they were implying or requesting that you do this. 

That does sound pretty tacky and would tick me off more than a little.

However, I also can sort of see where the ship is coming from.  A lot of folks believe they need to give something extra.  You can see that easily enough when just looking around the boards here.  I wonder if the ship/line has been asked so many times that they just went ahead and answered the question in that manner.

Still kind of tacky.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

However, I also can sort of see where the ship is coming from.  A lot of folks believe they need to give something extra.  You can see that easily enough when just looking around the boards here.  I wonder if the ship/line has been asked so many times that they just went ahead and answered the question in that manner.

Still kind of tacky.

It like the machines that have the tip function at auto dealership 🙄

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL, did you remove the Auto-Grats at GS the night before????

bon voyage

Nope. We are always generous as well. I have seen suggested gratuities published before but not in a very long time. 

4 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

Wow.  I would not be happy to see that.  We gladly tip extra to anyone who has gone above and beyond for us, whether it's the guy who makes sure my husband's GF pizza is perfect, or the server in AB who starts making the coffees for my husband the minute they see him enter.  I wouldn't like to be "strongly encouraged" to leave set amounts for anyone. 

Did you leave the auto grats on?  Just wondering if these envelopes are provided to those who have taken the auto gratuities off?   If not, I would have some strong words for Celebrity if I found something like that in my cabin.

No, we would never do that. I have seen before, just a very long time ago. It was a form letter, but a small note, like you would get invited to a sailaway on the helipad sort of thing. I am sure I wasn't the only cabin.  I have been fortunate enough to only have one negative cruise in my life, and even then we took care of everyone with some cash and left the auto grats on.

Thank you all again for your help. I plan on doing the auto tipping as usual. I'll probably have a small amount of cash on hand for extra, but as per all of you above, I appreciate that it likely won't be pressured as I experienced on my last cruise. Super excited to try a Celebrity cruise after having only sailed RCCL to date. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Still kind of tacky.

I'm not a frequent Celebrity cruiser.  But I have two coming up this year.  When I suggest doing just the included gratuities, people bring out the pitchforks. 

I wish someone would tell me how much to tip the person who runs the art auctions or how much to tip the person in the buffet who brings the food to my table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm not a frequent Celebrity cruiser.  But I have two coming up this year.  When I suggest doing just the included gratuities, people bring out the pitchforks. 

I wish someone would tell me how much to tip the person who runs the art auctions or how much to tip the person in the buffet who brings the food to my table.

My plan is to do the included gratuities, tip a couple bucks on things like drinks and spa, and then maybe have a very small supplemental tip (between $20-50 depending on who we are talking about) ready if the service is above and beyond for the other key staff. That's it. That's all I can budget for.

Edited by CuseJeff44
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, StingBeanz said:

Nope. We are always generous as well. I have seen suggested gratuities published before but not in a very long time. 

sb - I was sure you did...

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

10% of the art value and $2 for each food delivery.... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Someone in the buffet brings food to your table? I haven't seen that in years on Celebrity. That would be worth a tip!

2 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Someone in the buffet brings food to your table? I haven't seen that in years on Celebrity. That would be worth a tip!

How does your food get to your table in the buffet………. 🥸

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Its hard enough getting a glass of water. Now, if you're looking for an alcoholic drink, that's a whole new ballgame. 

• Like 1

When on the Equinox, it was the first time no envelope was left for us the last night.  Is this something new?  We were in AquaClass.  Our room steward was outstanding.  I had to go to guest services for something else and made a point of complimenting him and said he was probably the best we had on 26 cruises.  I handed him cash but I was a little annoyed because I didn't want him to pool his tip.  It was for him alone.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, Wakepatrol said:

Okay that was on RCL now you’ve going on Celebrity. Rear view mirror your RCL experience and move on. How many members must tell you this doesn’t happen on the Celebrity cruises?

Never happened to us on RCL

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:58 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

I'm saying that I got the impression on my last cruise that whether or not you prepaid there was an expectation of cash at the end. May as well give it all at the end, by hand, if this is the expectation. But again, this was on my last cruise which was RCCL. Not sure if this is the norm, or the expectation everywhere, thus the ask

I can assure you that many people do not hand out extra tips and you certainly don’t need to do that unless someone offer to exceptional service and you want to

20 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The staff in the OVC work pretty hard getting coffees , clearing tables 

I bet no one here would do the job for the pay they get 😁

I grew up poor and worked as a secretary in college.  I do NOT have a problem with gratuities.  I do have a problem giving someone a tip when I don't think they've earned it.  I didn't make very much as a secretary but I never thought someone should hand me a $20 for doing my job.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

If we eat in the OVC we schlep our own plates to our table and even have to put our own cloth napkins on our lap. 🤪

dk then obviously you are impressing the staff enough to want to help???

You have to exercise the DYKWIA card....

I get treated like I Am eating in Luminae... food delivered, drinks brought and most especially napkin unfolded and placed on My lap!!! LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The staff in the OVC work pretty hard getting coffees , clearing tables 

I bet no one here would do the job for the pay they get 😁

🖐🏿🖐🏿🖐🏿

bon appetit and bon voyage

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

I grew up poor and worked as a secretary in college.  I do NOT have a problem with gratuities.  I do have a problem giving someone a tip when I don't think they've earned it.  I didn't make very much as a secretary but I never thought someone should hand me a $20 for doing my job.  

I have never seen anyone in OVC with their hand out 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jean87510 said:

When on the Equinox, it was the first time no envelope was left for us the last night.  Is this something new?  We were in AquaClass.  Our room steward was outstanding.  I had to go to guest services for something else and made a point of complimenting him and said he was probably the best we had on 26 cruises.  I handed him cash but I was a little annoyed because I didn't want him to pool his tip.  It was for him alone.

As long as you had left gratuities in place, he should not have had to pool it. They only have to pool cash if gratuities have been removed.

(There is a possibility that he had to turn it in, but as long as you had left autogratuities in place he would have gotten back the cash he had turned in.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart