Are pre-paid gratuities even worth it any more?

CuseJeff44

We generally tip extra. On Silhouette we were the only ones in Blu that I could see doing this at the time. No expectations from them or our wonderful cabin steward who went extra in my opinion.

Luminae on Apex in October a lot of people were tipping. Our butler did give us a bit of a sob story. The spa staff also hovering for extra gratuity. Some of them may be in a for a bit of an awakening when Apex comes to the U.K. 

2 hours ago, wineoclock said:

On Silhouette we were the only ones in Blu that I could see doing this at the time.

Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Not everyone makes a show of it.

2 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Our butler did give us a bit of a sob story.

Ugh. Biggest way to get me to absolutely NOT tip extra. Sadly many have learned from experience that for a lot of people, the bigger the sob story the more they will get so they keep trying to sell it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I generally pre pay tips just to pay it before boarding unless we have a ton of OBC to spend.  With that said, if I get exceptional service, I will tip above and beyond.

I leave auto tips on. Rarely see my cabin attendant and don't ask anything of them. When I need wine glasses for my cabin I get them myself. 

• Like 4

We always leave auto gratuities in place, but rarely tip extra.  We changed cabins on a B2B and decided that we would tip our cabin stewards extra for the extra work.  We arrived at our new cabin and there was no sign of our luggage.  We went to lunch and returned to the cabin - still no luggage.  We asked our new cabin steward to see what had happened.  He found our suitcases, but no sign of our hanging items.  He eventually found them in an empty cabin.  Guess which steward got the extra tips!

• Like 1

In the beginning, tips were supposed to be to thank someone for going above and beyond.  Now they are “almost” required.  You have to work pretty hard not to tip and it’s common knowledge that tips make up a part of the servers wage and instead of a tip being a reward, a none-tip is a punishment.  tips are required for drink packages and spa services as well. 

now we have the second layer of tipping.  The auto gratuity is standard for everyone and a SECOND tip is paid when staff go above and beyond.  
this isn’t the fault of the staff or the client but is in effect the cruise line using tips to supplement wages for staff.  

• Thanks 1

We typically leave a cash tip for our room steward and if in a suite, the "host" and if we use concierge services, then for them.  In the old MDR days of assigned seating, we would do something for our server and assistant server. It is purely our choice and if we received less than enthusiastic service, we wouldn't.  Purely personal choice.  On our last cruise, which was in a suite and another line, I partially tipped the butler in advance in an "introduction letter".  I am on the fence as to whether I would do this again - feel like it was a bit stilted and stuffy.  I spent a career in the upscale hotel business so I am well aware of pay structures and who is tipped and who is not in that environment.  Some employees send tip "signals", no doubt about it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think my bottom line is this. I like auto gratuities conceptually if it means I am "done". I hate the idea of auto tipping and THEN being expected to tip more. And I got that pressure on my last cruise with another cruise line. But I am looking forward to this cruise on Celebrity as I have heard this is not a common occurrence here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I think my bottom line is this. I like auto gratuities conceptually if it means I am "done". I hate the idea of auto tipping and THEN being expected to tip more. And I got that pressure on my last cruise with another cruise line. But I am looking forward to this cruise on Celebrity as I have heard this is not a common occurrence here

I've never been pressured or even asked to tip more, no matter the cruise line. Have I received the end of cruise don't forget the PCS, yes. Even on our Celebrity cruises. 

55 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

We still argue.  Some people say auto tips are not enough.  We tipped extra last time.  But you are certainly not expected to.

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We still argue.  Some people say auto tips are not enough.  We tipped extra last time.  But you are certainly not expected to.

I just wish it was one or the other. If there is still going to be an expectation, or even an environment in which that expectation can emerge, then just lose the auto tips entirely, or make them totally opt-in. Still creates a have or have not setup with some people toting around envelopes and some not. Just not a fan of that vibe.

Edited by CuseJeff44

6 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I just wish it was one or the other. If there is still going to be an expectation, or even an environment in which that expectation can emerge, then just lose the auto tips entirely, or make them totally opt-in. Still creates a have or have not setup with some people toting around envelopes and some not. Just not a fan of that vibe.

I don’t agree with tipping everyone.  Where does it stop?  Do I tip someone cleaning the bathroom?  The person poring me coffee.  Someone making my food?  (Not serving it.)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t agree with tipping everyone.  Where does it stop?  Do I tip someone cleaning the bathroom?  The person poring me coffee.  Someone making my food?  (Not serving it.)

I leave the auto tips on. Don't ask much of my cabin steward and my room is always tidy. I even hang up my towels after use unless they need laundering. 

1 hour ago, CuseJeff44 said:

Honestly, if I ever feel pressured by a crew member to tip extra, I will be asking to speak with their supervisor. That is 100% inappropriate for a crew member to be doing.

• Like 2

Presumably it's fine to ask Guest Services to remove auto-gratuities from your account.

I'm unhappy with 18% gratuities that only go to certain members of the crew, not least because I don't see why I should be made to cover Celebrity's unwillingess to pay a decent living wage.

I prefer to give cash tips to people I interract with for good service - why should I reward some anonymous crew member who might be rude and lazy ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Presumably it's fine to ask Guest Services to remove auto-gratuities from your account.

I'm unhappy with 18% gratuities that only go to certain members of the crew, not least because I don't see why I should be made to cover Celebrity's unwillingess to pay a decent living wage.

I prefer to give cash tips to people I interract with for good service - why should I reward some anonymous crew member who might be rude and lazy ?

The 18% is on drinks , specially restaurants, spa so you cannot remove those 

Auto -gratuities is a set rate not a % 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Why should you punish anonymous crew members who are friendly and efficient?

Because maybe they never interacted with those crew members?  

Now if we talk about auto tips to EVERYONE that’s fine.  But don’t be surprised when some people don’t want to pay additional to those anonymous crew members.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

You cannot remove the 18% tips.

15 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

You cannot remove the 18% tips.

Apologies - I meant $18 a day pp.

There's no way I'm going to pay gratuities of $400 which adds another 27% to the cost of the cruise - I'll be paying the 20% on drinks at the bar.

Quite happy to explain my reasons to Guest Srevices too - particularly as I will leave something for the housekeeper.

Has anyone any experiences of having gratuities removed ?

• Haha 1

One consequence of trying to remove the auto gratuities is that it becomes a black mark against your housekeeping staff and your servers. You probably don’t intend to hurt them, but it does.

You may not be aware that if you take off the auto gratuities and you pay your housekeeper in cash, they have to turn that over into the tip pool. They are not allowed to keep that cash.  Only if the auto gratuities are kept in place are they allowed to keep any over and above cash tips.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Apologies - I meant $18 a day pp.

There's no way I'm going to pay gratuities of $400 which adds another 27% to the cost of the cruise - I'll be paying the 20% on drinks at the bar.

Quite happy to explain my reasons to Guest Srevices too - particularly as I will leave something for the housekeeper.

Has anyone any experiences of having gratuities removed ?

It is a shame that you booked your cruise without doing enough research to understand how Celebrity handles gratuities, who receives them, the implications of removing them and so forth. Perhaps a different cruise line would have met your needs better. But now that you have booked Celebrity,It is probably too late for you to change.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1