Australia hates me...

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Gave up drinking yonks ago, but a black might tempt me today at Dadā€™s wake, it was his beer of choice.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Yes, maybe a Black in his honour would be good.

Ā 

My Dad, who passed in 2016, was an Old drinker, and that passed onto me, but I only like a draught Black, not so much the bottled variety. So a crownie for me when drinking at home šŸ™‚Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

.....I guarantee you no one will say Fosterā€™s in spite of most of the world thinking it is popular here.

100% right.Ā 

Many years ago I knew a Scotsman who one night was at the Panthers club as a rep for Fosters, supplying free samples to encourage people to drink Fosters. He approached us & we all said no way would we drink Fosters - he said "it's free". We all replied that we wouldn't drinkĀ Fosters if you paid us šŸ™‚Ā 

Everyone I've ever met in USA thinks everyone in Australia drinks Fosters!Ā  One guy took me to a bar specially because they served Fosters & couldn't believe that it was not a beer that Aussies drink!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Yes, maybe a Black in his honour would be good.

Ā 

My Dad, who passed in 2016, was an Old drinker, and that passed onto me, but I only like a draught Black, not so much the bottled variety. So a crownie for me when drinking at home šŸ™‚Ā 

Dad was the same heā€™d drink New in bottles but draught was always Black.

28 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Dad was the same heā€™d drink New in bottles but draught was always Black.

I also liked a Tooheys New, back then. Never a Reschs or Tooths drinker.Ā  I feel like a Tooheys or two, remember that ad.?Ā 

591119665_th(6).jpg.72ad6df9d7af6d41cfb530e74c07cd04.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Ridgey Didge photo, no re touch or doctoring. photo taken of me in 1971.Ā  Yes I am a dinosaur, lol.

But a very handsome one, although always a rear-vision image to make hearts sinkšŸ˜†

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mr walker said:

100% right.Ā 

Many years ago I knew a Scotsman who one night was at the Panthers club as a rep for Fosters, supplying free samples to encourage people to drink Fosters. He approached us & we all said no way would we drink Fosters - he said "it's free". We all replied that we wouldn't drinkĀ Fosters if you paid us šŸ™‚Ā 

Everyone I've ever met in USA thinks everyone in Australia drinks Fosters!Ā  One guy took me to a bar specially because they served Fosters & couldn't believe that it was not a beer that Aussies drink!

It was reasonably popular here in the 70's and 80's Neil, but then so many other better beers appeared on the market. 40 years ago I knocked off a few Fossies 250ml 'throwdowns.'

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Ā 

Ahhh... 1971. I got married the next year. May 6th will be 51 years. Of course while you were enforcing the law in those days I was on a "slightly" different path... šŸ˜Ž

m1-2.jpg.522147c1ecef7b24c277d93e9b58f28a.jpgĀ Ā Ā Ā  m2.jpg.67e728895da996e17741a3dc194c811a.jpg

Nice pics Thrak you legend of a hippy.Ā  I did 36 years in theĀ šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø. Been out since 2023, done plenty of cruises since then.

I give my neighbour a carton of his favourite Great Northern Original for Christmas every year, for being a good neighbour.

Ā 

My local favourite drink is Bundaberg ginger beer (soft drink). Ā Recently returned from a holiday in Tasmania, where I tried all their different brand ginger beers. Ā I was surprised some were better than Bundaberg. Ā Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Gave up drinking yonks ago, but a black might tempt me today at Dadā€™s wake, it was his beer of choice.

Thinking of you at your Dad's wake today and hoping you are comforted by memories of happier times with your Dad. Ā 94 is a grand age!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nice pics Thrak you legend of a hippy.Ā  I did 36 years in theĀ šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø. Been out since 2023, done plenty of cruises since then.

Sorry, typo, been out since 2003.Ā  1967 to 2003, fair innings I thought.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I had a schooner of black with tempura prawns at Club Macquarie last night.

@ThrakĀ  Have you noticed how topics seem to wander on the down under forum?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's something else I have to remember. You folks have different beer sizes than we do. We have the wimpy 16 oz. pint and really no name for the even smaller beers some places serve. As I understand it you have several sizes and, depending on where one is, a different name for at least one of the sizes. What is the "good" size called? Can I order a pint and get a "real" pint or will some barkeep look at me like I'm an idiotic yank?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Ā 

I was actually married with 2 kids and the only longhair working in a mill. It was like taking my life in my hands to go to work. I had three choices - cut my hair off, get my but kicked badly and repeatedly, or be the best damn worker in the place. I chose the third option and kicked butt at work. It was a hard job but I decided to excel at it and the hard cases then left me alone. (I've always chosen to do the best job I possibly can and it's always worked out well for me. Slackers drive me nuts.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Ā 

Sorry about your dad but it sounds like he had a good run. My dad not only didn't drink beer but he had a stick waaaaaaay up his backside and turned sideways. My first stepfather was a drunk and my second stepfather was a bit of an "adventure". I was 17 and he was 24 and a Drill Sergeant in the Air Force. (They called them "Training Instructors".) Now that was a match made in heaven. (NOT!) I was (once again) living with my grandparents when my mom showed up and said she was married again and told me I was moving to a different town to live with them. I stuck it out for 6 months and then went back to live with my grandparents until I finished high school. Life can be weird but you take what it gives you and do your best with it. (Whining doesn't do a damn bit of good. Life really doesn't care.)

Ā 

Glad you had a good relationship with your dad and can hoist a beer in his memory. Keep the good memories and remember him well. (Oh, and have another beer.)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ā 

That's something else I have to remember. You folks have different beer sizes than we do. We have the wimpy 16 oz. pint and really no name for the even smaller beers some places serve. As I understand it you have several sizes and, depending on where one is, a different name for at least one of the sizes. What is the "good" size called? Can I order a pint and get a "real" pint or will some barkeep look at me like I'm an idiotic yank?

A pint here is 20oz. A schooner is 16oz and next size down is a middy, 10oz. The schooner is the most common size in this state (NSW). Different in other states.

Still play guitar?

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

A pint here is 20oz. A schooner is 16oz and next size down is a middy, 10oz. The schooner is the most common size in this state (NSW). Different in other states.

Still play guitar?

Ā 

Nope. My hands don't really work well enough for that. Got a bit of arthritis. Not much hair anymore either. šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

Christmas 2022 on Ruby Princess

Ā 

Christmas 2022 on Ruby Princess - Smaller.jpg

• Like 2

Arthritis is a bummer. I had a rheumatoid flare twenty something years ago which damaged quite a few joints and now a little osteo is making its presence felt as well as occasional gout. Still playing guitar (badly).

Edited by lyndarra

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Still play guitar?

Or to confuse Trak even more, in metric, Middy - 285ml, Schooner 425 ml, Pint 570ml.Ā  Ā Not all pubs and clubs have pint classes, but all have Schooners and middies.Ā  Talking about NSW here. Other states have different names, i.e. Qld a pot is middy size.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ā 

Nope. My hands don't really work well enough for that. Got a bit of arthritis. Not much hair anymore either. šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

Ā 

I think you looked better in your white dinner jacket. šŸ˜

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah I have a bass and Fender 12 string that now sit untouched, I apshoild probably sell them.

Ā 

Thrak, this article explains quite well the different glass size and names in the various Australian states.

Ā 

Beer Glass Size and Names

Ā 

Or this explanation -Ā 

While the names might differ, this is the key principle: thereā€™s a name for a large (425ml) and small (285ml) size in every state. Most (but not all states) useĀ schoonerĀ for the larger size, but the options for the smaller one vary considerably:

State Ā  Ā Small Ā  Ā  Large
NSW/ACT Ā  Ā Middy Ā  Ā  Schooner
Victoria Ā  Ā Pot Ā  Ā  Pint
Queensland Ā  Ā Pot Ā  Ā  Schooner
Western Australia Ā  Ā Middy Ā  Ā  Schooner
South AustraliaĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Schooner Ā  Ā  Pint
TasmaniaĀ Ā  Ā  Ten Ā  Ā  Schooner
Northern TerritoryĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Handle Ā  Ā  Schooner
Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think you looked better in your white dinner jacket. šŸ˜

Ā 

I haven't had a white dinner jacket on since I took the picture for the yearbook for my senior year of high school. I think you are thinking of someone else. (Perhaps the Captain of the Rowboat?)

• Like 1

Just now, Thrak said:

Ā 

I haven't had a white dinner jacket on since I took the picture for the yearbook for my senior year of high school. I think you are thinking of someone else. (Perhaps the Captain of the Rowboat?)

Ahh yes. You are quite correct. Sorry. However I am sure you looked great for that yearbook photo. šŸ˜

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Ahh yes. You are quite correct. Sorry. However I am sure you looked great for that yearbook photo. šŸ˜

Ā 

That was long ago. I never really expected to get old. When I was a young teen the news every night was the "body count" from Viet Nam. I figured I would graduate high school and go on a "graduation trip" but that didn't happen after all. They instituted a lottery and drew birth dates. I think mine came out as something like 280 out of 365 (seems strange that I can't ever remember the number now) and things were winding down. I wasn't disappointed. It's odd to think that in May my wife and I will have our 51st wedding anniversary. We celebrated number 50 last year on Royal Princess.

• Like 2