LIVE REPORT from Riviera - NEVER AGAIN!

brobin111

26 minutes ago, KimKM said:

I know now that you don't sail to Bermuda in March. I'm guessing Oceania also knew. Maybe it's a bad plan to sell a cruise to people based on Bermuda, knowing that it probably won't happen?

No one would be happy with the itinerary change but it isn't the cruise line's fault.

The weather this year hasn't been normal. There would be no expectation based on recent history of cruise lines being forced to cancel port calls in Bermuda week after week. Oceania didn't overlook anything and they certainly didn't know "it probably won't happen". Go/No Go decisions caused by weather are made at the last possible minute because you don't want to cancel a port in advance when it isn't necessary. How would you feel if Oceania had cancelled your Bermuda port call weeks ago and it turned out that the weather on your scheduled port day turned out to be 75 degrees, fair skies with gentle breezes?

The Norwegian Gem docked in Bermuda this morning as planned. You just ran into bad luck as did cruisers on many other sailings this winter.

Look at what's happened in California with the unprecedented "atmospheric river" storms. Those weather systems continue to move east after inundating California and eventually produce the gale force wind weather conditions that have affected Bermuda all winter and prevented ships from making port calls there.

Where I live we've gone the entire winter without measurable snow...or at most perhaps 0.1 inch, and I can't remember a winter with no snow. Normal snowfall here averages around 23 inches. It's all caused by the same unusual weather patterns. If I had decided to buy a new snow blower in September is it the snow blower manufacturer's or dealer's fault that it didn't snow at all?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

I have an overland to Bagan paid for and the fighting in Bagan is constant.  No consular service and we have sanctions in place so how are we going to even pay for flights on their airlines.

Very frustrating.  The whole reason for booking the sailing two years ago was to see Bagan. 

I understand - 100%.  We also had same - a 2 day tour was non refundable.

Needless to say we were out the money (about 2K)

We did eventually do a Hong Kong to Athens cruise, that did stop in Myanmar on Nautica.  It was our best ever cruise because it hit so many of the bucket list items (Siem Reap, Bagan, Taj Mahal, Petra, Luxor, Jerusalem).  Needless to say we used O for all land programs for fear of cancellation - as it would on them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If I had decided to buy a new snow blower in September is it the snow blower manufacturer's or dealer's fault that it didn't snow at all?

I think you may have missed the main point of this thread.  Nobody, myself included, faults the ship for not proceeding to Bermuda due to heavy seas and bad weather which they clearly cannot control.  Per the contract, they can go wherever they want for any or no reason and we're just along for the ride.  I get that.

The problem is with the way Oceania handled it - something that is quite certainly in their control.  They knew of the itinerary change at least two days in advance but didn't send an email to their pax which they could have easily done.  The decision to sail in circles and then spend two days in Jacksonville was necessary only because they had no contingency plans for desirable alternate ports and they just needed a place to park.  The purser even complained to me about how much extra fuel they were burning but had no regard or interest in doing anything to make the pax happy.  The attitude from the crew was "too bad, so sad - not our problem and we don't want to hear about it anymore." 

Oceania presents itself as a premier cruise line.  The measure of a company is more than what they do right, it's how they treat their customers when things go wrong.  Every other cruise line we've sailed has done something meaningful when there's been a major change to an itinerary even though they didn't have to.  That's what creates loyalty to a brand.  

I suggested to the GM onboard that they provide an FCC equal to 30% of the fare paid (3 lost days of the 10 day cruise) to provide meaningful compensation and encourage guests to sail Oceania again.  Nope. 

Instead of all the "Never Again" comments in this thread that will surely turn off others from sailing Oceania, imagine the goodwill and new business they would create if this thread was about how well we were treated. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brobin111 said:

I think you may have missed the main point of this thread.  Nobody, myself included, faults the ship for not proceeding to Bermuda due to heavy seas and bad weather which they clearly cannot control.  Per the contract, they can go wherever they want for any or no reason and we're just along for the ride.  I get that.

The problem is with the way Oceania handled it - something that is quite certainly in their control.  They knew of the itinerary change at least two days in advance but didn't send an email to their pax which they could have easily done.  The decision to sail in circles and then spend two days in Jacksonville was necessary only because they had no contingency plans for desirable alternate ports and they just needed a place to park.  The purser even complained to me about how much extra fuel they were burning but had no regard or interest in doing anything to make the pax happy.  The attitude from the crew was "too bad, so sad - not our problem and we don't want to hear about it anymore." 

Oceania presents itself as a premier cruise line.  The measure of a company is more than what they do right, it's how they treat their customers when things go wrong.  Every other cruise line we've sailed has done something meaningful when there's been a major change to an itinerary even though they didn't have to.  That's what creates loyalty to a brand.  

I suggested to the GM onboard that they provide an FCC equal to 30% of the fare paid (3 lost days of the 10 day cruise) to provide meaningful compensation and encourage guests to sail Oceania again.  Nope. 

Instead of all the "Never Again" comments in this thread that will surely turn off others from sailing Oceania, imagine the goodwill and new business they would create if this thread was about how well we were treated. 

My post addressed one short passage written by the poster. I suggest you reread it. It consists of a totally nonsensical claim that Oceania sold a cruise to Bermuda "knowing that it probably wouldn't happen". 

• Haha 2

Never had an O cruise that didn’t miss a port. It happens. Don’t base your trip on a port being a deal breaker if you don’t get to it. 

I do agree that O can be terrible at communication, but I also think the overall experience is very good and this can magnify a hitch. 

My next cruise has an absolute bucket list port for me - one that I have based the decision to go on the cruise in the HOPES of getting to. If I just see the port in question that will be good enough for me, not setting foot is a chance I am willing to take in order to be able to have the chance to go there. 

If weather means we can’t tender to the island in question then so be it - it won’t ruin the whole cruise for me. Realistically I may not get another chance to visit this destination, but I will have at least tried. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brobin111 said:

O is our line of choice but I completely agree with you about communication and making guests feel valued...

If you expect repeat clients you have to show them good will...it can be done in a variety of ways...from having a brunch in MD, an open bar, some obcs into accounts, etc....doing nothing is very poor customer relations.....

Hope it is still not too late for O to fix this major error in customer service. 

• Like 2

We just returned from this cruise on the Oceania Riviera.  A little background may be necessary here in order to understand my comments.  This was our 79th cruise.  We have sailed every cruise line except Viking Ocean, Windstar, MSC and a few of the lesser known brands.  This was our first Oceania cruise.  I organized this cruise  for 12 individuals (good friends).

The POSITIVES: (1). The crew was amazing.  They could not have been nicer, more helpful, more respectful.  They were a pleasure to be around.  (2).  The food in Red Ginger was some of the best Asian food I have ever eaten.  I can still taste the crispy duck/watermelon salad.  WOW! (3).   The guests on the cruise were really friendly and genuinely nice to be around.  (4). The ship was absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean.  I could eat off of the floor...even in the workout center.  Our cabin (concierge level) was well appointed and simply gorgeous.

The NEGATIVES: (1).  The cruise was exceptionally boring until we arrived in Charleston.  There were 12 of us traveling together and we played cards and played cards and played cards...  I am not someone who has to be entertained, but this cruise just seemed long.  Usually I hate to see a cruise end, but I could not wait to get home.  (2). The food was adequate, but not anything special.  I know food is subjective, so I will not elaborate.  (3). One of our group of 12 got covid and was isolated, as she should have been.  She said the medical staff was amazing, but communication from the upper level staff was seriously lacking.  The couple (wife had covid/husband tested negative) did not know what was going on, once they were confined to their cabin.

I do not judge a cruise line after one sailing.  Had I done that, I would never have tried Seabourn a second time (my husband got covid and we disembarked on our first sailing).  I adore Seabourn after our second sailing.  I will probably try O again in the future.

• Like 2

@santos949 I was also on this cruise (first time on O) and agree with all your positives. There simply was no entertainment before 9:30 pm to speak of so for us it was as if there was none. The piano player in Martinis was painful to listen to at best.  You’re correct food is subjective. I can’t count the number of times I’ve sat at dinner on a cruise, eating the exact same dish as someone else and one of us loves it while the other hates it. I thought 95% of the food I received was excellent.  I found the choices to be outstanding. 

I booked 2 new cruises onboard and went down to the Ambassador’s office (I think that’s what the future cruise person is called on O) at least 6 different times to work out questions and so forth. I had to wait in line every single time!  In fact it was the ONLY place on board the ship I ever had to wait!  I don’t discount the OP’s post or that they need to find a line better suited to their needs.  I do think there were a lot of happy people on that cruise, more than this thread is indicating.  Just wanted to throw that out there for the lurkers to the O thread deciding whether to take that first O sailing. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@santos949 I was also on this cruise (first time on O) and agree with all your positives. There simply was no entertainment before 9:30 pm to speak of so for us it was as if there was none. The piano player in Martinis was painful to listen to at best.  You’re correct food is subjective. I can’t count the number of times I’ve sat at dinner on a cruise, eating the exact same dish as someone else and one of us loves it while the other hates it. I thought 95% of the food I received was excellent.  I found the choices to be outstanding. 

I booked 2 new cruises onboard and went down to the Ambassador’s office (I think that’s what the future cruise person is called on O) at least 6 different times to work out questions and so forth. I had to wait in line every single time!  In fact it was the ONLY place on board the ship I ever had to wait!  I don’t discount the OP’s post or that they need to find a line better suited to their needs.  I do think there were a lot of happy people on that cruise, more than this thread is indicating.  Just wanted to throw that out there for the lurkers to the O thread deciding whether to take that first O sailing. 

We also had a lovely time on this cruise, but of course, we were disappointed to miss Bermuda. However, we love just being on the ship and relaxing. The food generally was very good with just one or two meals with which we were a bit disappointed. We also booked a future cruise onboard (next January to the southern Caribbean to be more certain of beach days!) and are looking forward to our July cruise on Marina. As usual, the crew members were outstanding. I think all cruise lines have challenges as travel resumes, but we feel that Oceania still is our line of choice. It was nice to meet other CC members!

For those of you who continued on the transatlantic - did you get to Bermuda?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I booked 2 new cruises onboard and went down to the Ambassador’s office (I think that’s what the future cruise person is called on O) at least 6 different times to work out questions and so forth. I had to wait in line every single time!  In fact it was the ONLY place on board the ship I ever had to wait! 

Are you saying you should have gone right to the front  of the line because you booked a future cruise ?? 🤔

15 hours ago, KimKM said:

We were treated like idiots at the beverage package upgrade station and we found the food, that everyone seems to love, to be bland and mostly served cold (in every dining room). We were honest on our mid cruise survey, and received calls re: food & beverage, but nothing of substance.

Our only bright spot was our room attendants... lovely and attentive.

We were on the cruise as well and if the food had been better we might not have minded--quite as much--a 10-day cruise to Charleston, the only interesting city (in our view) on the itinerary that actually happened. This was our second Oceania cruise and we find the food to be quite overrated. It's a half-step up from Celebrity and HAL but too many things are not good. We had a disappointing meal in Jacques, a disappointing meal in Red Ginger (some of the apps were okay), and we canceled our Polo Grill and Toscana reservations because we didn't trust the "specialness" of the specialties at that point. (Had a horrible meal at Tuscan Grill on Sirena). I will say the coffee and croissants are good. We did find some good food in Terrace Cafe but it was hit or miss. There was one lunch where fresh fettucine was being made at the grill station by a chef and cooked to order. I didn't try it but it was a nice touch. The pizza was good in Waves at dinner, and I liked the sandwiches at Waves. Smoothies were a treat in the morning. The Grand Dining Room service was good but the food was mostly average; I don't recall a single excellent dish except a savory tomato tart appetizer that had an excellent pastry crust (it was basically a quiche, and delicious). The only really good consistent food we've ever had on a cruise ship was the old Crystal. Of course, that's a higher price point.

It wasn't just us re: the food. A number of people, first-timers and repeat guests, told us they expected better. When we got home I called to cancel an upcoming Oceania cruise (we still have two scheduled) and was immediately hit with that tagline "the finest cuisine at sea." According to whom exactly? It's the old "overpromise, underdeliver." I would still pay a little more for the food at Oceania compared to HAL/Celebrity, but not very much. 

I also agree that Oceania should not have scheduled a trip to Bermuda in March. We figured they know what they're doing, but they DIDN'T know what they are doing. The trip, let's not forget, was titled "Pink Sand Soiree." So Bermuda was the entire point for most of the guests. They have a similar itinerary scheduled on Vista in 2025 (maybe 2024 as well; not sure) that is April 19-May 1. That is much more likely to actually make it to Bermuda, where the season begins April 1. 

It didn't help that it was unseasonably cold in Jacksonville and Charleston. Nassau is a heinous port, IMO. People reported that they like the museum in Port Canaveral.  

Our room attendants were excellent, and the staff/service in general was very good. 

Edited by MarkWiltonM
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, brobin111 said:

I think that asking for 30% FCC is completely unrealistic. I don't think ANY line would provide such FCC. The best we got in all our cruises was 10% FCC from SS, which I thought was VERY GENEROUS.

@brobin111 I would be curious to read your overall impressions from the cruise except for missed ports, lack of compensation and bad communication. How would you describe the service, the food, the crew, the ship etc?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We were on the cruise as well and if the food had been better we might not have minded--quite as much--a 10-day cruise to Charleston, the only interesting city (in our view) on the itinerary that actually happened. This was our second Oceania cruise and we find the food to be quite overrated....

Just curious, which cabin level were you in? And deck were you on?

55 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I think that asking for 30% FCC is completely unrealistic. I don't think ANY line would provide such FCC. The best we got in all our cruises was 10% FCC from SS, which I thought was VERY GENEROUS.

@brobin111 I would be curious to read your overall impressions from the cruise except for missed ports, lack of compensation and bad communication. How would you describe the service, the food, the crew, the ship etc?

We once had 25% off on a future cruise, but it was only a specific ship, on specific dates. That was one of our best deals every. 

The reason it was offered was due to a noro outbreak and ironically enough we were denied entry to Bermuda due to that. 

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This was our 5th O cruise out of the 50+ cruises we've taken so we knew what to expect.  Service was excellent but the food quality & entertainment is not what it was pre-covid.  Other than the comedian, John Joseph, who we've seen on several cruises and is terrific, the singers for the production shows sounded like angry cats and we walked out of the two shows we went to. The Burt Bacharach tribute surely has him spinning in his grave!  The ship itself is beautifully maintained and is is one of the nicest cruise ships afloat.  Our Vista suite on Deck 8 was well appointed, very comfortable and we spent a lot more time in it than planned as we sailed in circles for days.

As for the 30% FCC, they asked what I thought was fair and I told them. Perhaps it is unrealistic but even 10% was off the table.  As I've said from the outset, I understand that per the contract they have every right to say "tough toenails, move on," and we will - just without Oceania.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Are you saying you should have gone right to the front  of the line because you booked a future cruise ?? 🤔

Of course not.  Everyone in that line was booking a new cruise!  I am saying that of all the things I did on the ship I never encountered a line where I had to wait except to book a new cruise.  This supports that there were many happy cruisers like me on this sailing. I hope I have explained myself better now. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

This was our 5th O cruise out of the 50+ cruises we've taken so we knew what to expect.  Service was excellent but the food quality & entertainment is not what it was pre-covid.  Other than the comedian, John Joseph, who we've seen on several cruises and is terrific, the singers for the production shows sounded like angry cats and we walked out of the two shows we went to. The Burt Bacharach tribute surely has him spinning in his grave!  The ship itself is beautifully maintained and is is one of the nicest cruise ships afloat.  Our Vista suite on Deck 8 was well appointed, very comfortable and we spent a lot more time in it than planned as we sailed in circles for days.

And some wonder why I mention the expectations of those cruising in PH and above? 😞

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, the context does help explain the OP's expectations.

Though when it comes to this--"the singers for the production shows sounded like angry cats"--I wonder if they were doing Cats? And he just didn't get it? (I certainly don't understand Cats. The Broadway musical. Not the feline purring in my lap as I write this.) 😉

And just for this--"The Burt Bacharach tribute surely has him spinning in his grave!"--I was spinning by the pool almost in ecstasy rockin' out to Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love that one Saturday am on Sirena last November! They even played it to the very end. Now if only I could get more metal, some punk, some British invasion, and some '90s grunge!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We learned to accept the fact that entertainment and activities are not O strongest  areas. This is why we believe that O is suited better for port intensive itineraries. We intended to take this cruise (had to cancel for family reasons), but were prepared to entertain ourselves.

And I agree that psychologically people who paid more might have higher expectations, but this is really not O fault. Unlike Cunard/Celebrity and other mainstream lines, on O you pay for more space when you book a suite (and couple other small perks), otherwise everyone is treated equally. Having realistic expectations is one of the most important factors in cruising. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I don't think she is saying that at all!  Pointing out that the O brand is so appealing and attractive that there is always a line to speak to the person in charge of future bookings.  No sense of entitlement at all.

Deck Chair

• Thanks 2

I don’t really get the idea of tying food, drink, entertainment, port or excursion expectations to level of cabin or suite. Lousy (or terrific) food is lousy (or terrific) food no matter the square footage of your cabin. Good friends, we have cruised with have taken inside cabins while we “luxuriate” in an aft suite. They are probably more discerning food critics than we are. Where does it say that they have to accept less? 

Same goes with our sons who know more about music than we do but don’t want to spring for the big suites.

Ditto excursions, ports visited  etc.

I think that once we get past the obvious suite amenities, all passenger expectations are - or should be - about the same for the same cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Just curious, which cabin level were you in? And deck were you on?

We were on Deck 8 in a B2 veranda. The updated stateroom was very nice, especially the large bathroom with tons of storage.