Making the specialty restaurants family friendly??

Real NHDOC

22 hours ago, albingirl said:

Since it's your first cruise, maybe you can reserve judgement until after. I've never seen what you mentioned.

You are fortunate.  See Post #16.  It appears that undisciplined children appear in varied locales - on board and on shore.

Something disturbing about making even very young kids brain dead with electronics, and calling it good behavior. But I am old school, and the one who still thinks it is a good idea to offer a Formal Dining Etiquette workshop as an onboard youth activity choice.

Formal dining events still do take place, and remain one of the more subtle parts of career advancement evaluations. For a fun look at this probably vintage concept of teaching manners to modern youth, see if you can find a  small documentary called "Bogalusa Charm School".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hllb said:

I suppose this bullet depends on the age of said children. Don't let your 5 year old go around the ship alone, sure. But lots of people trust their teens/preteens to go somewhere on a ship alone at some point. On our last cruise, my older 2 were 13 and 14 and they did sometimes go out on their own. 

Your last paragraph contradicts your earlier statements, tbh. You say you just want a few basic guidelines (which are reasonable) but also seemed to support barring them from the specialty restaurants - automatically assuming they are incapable of following basic restaurant guidelines. 

I didn't suggest children should be barred from specialty restaurants. Rather I stated if HAL offers discounts for children in specialty restaurants, this will bring more children and thus more problems to specialty restaurants. 

And I certainly agree inconsiderate adults are also an issue. Maybe it's now necessary all cruise lines send letters to all passengers with clear behavior guidelines. This should not be necessary, but here in the 21st century, it seems it is necessary. Both parenting and common courtesy are becoming lost arts. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's the same Kids Menu from the MDR.

Maybe they should add a HALpy Meal Box onto the Kids Menu in the PG. Fill it with some Chicken Clucks(actual name of their kids chicken strips) or a Home Run Hot Dog, and add in a plastic ship model and coloring book. A HAL Rubber Ducky would be a $ add-on.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, albingirl said:

I don't think many kids would say ok to an etiquette course while onboard as a youth activity. But, my opinion only. 

I don't think many young adults would care for an etiquette course, even though they could use one too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moscow123456 said:

and will not be playing any video games or on a phone (he doesn't even have one) at dinner.  Instead, he will be talking with his mom and dad (who also will not have any electronics at the table as they are restricted while eating in our home) just like he does every evening at dinner in our house.  

It's nice to know that some families still converse at dinner! I was in NYC recently, and while I was having lunch, I noticed a family of four (kids were 10-12), all on their phones instead of talking to each other.

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Just realized that according to the policy kids under 12 get a better discount than 5 star mariners in Rudi’s (50% vs 25%) and Nami Sushi (50% vs 0%). Nice!

And they sail free on some promos, eat free, use towels and linens, use extra steward time to make up and close the fold-out bed, while solos pay for a person who does none of that. Yes, I know, the phantom person in my room isn't buying drinks, etc. so the ship loses revenue. Kids may drink sodas, but they don't drink alcohol or gamble or shop in the jewelry stores. Except for the fact that the kids for free gets the parents to book, I'm not sure this is such a good deal for HAL.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

I don't think many young adults would care for an etiquette course, even though they could use one too. 

Isn't that the whole point about teaching good table manners -- guiding children into new learning, rather than letting them arbitrarily set the standards. (Old school, I know.)

27 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Maybe they should add a HALpy Meal Box onto the Kids Menu in the PG. Fill it with some Chicken Clucks(actual name of their kids chicken strips) or a Home Run Hot Dog, and add in a plastic ship model and coloring book. A HAL Rubber Ducky would be a $ add-on.🙂

Yikes, is that the kid's menu?

I guess Celebrity assumes some kids are more sophisticated. They offer a 4 oz. petite filet mignon on their kids menu in the MDR.  (Many passengers order it as an alternative when the regular menu is disappointing.... 🤣)

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I was in NYC recently, and while I was having lunch, I noticed a family of four (kids were 10-12), all on their phones instead of talking to each other.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. They could have had an intensive morning of sightseeing in the Big Apple. Kids (especially at that age) need some down time too. It's tough on them to engage with adults all day. I know this from traveling with my son from a young age. I learned to schedule in an hour or two every day (often right before dinner or right after lunch) to let him decompress in his own way -- on his phone, playing his Game Boy or reading. 

32 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Can I add the HAL rubber ducky to my PG meal without having to eat chicken clucks?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Something disturbing about making even very young kids brain dead with electronics, and calling it good behavior. But I am old school, and the one who still thinks it is a good idea to offer a Formal Dining Etiquette workshop as an onboard youth activity choice.

Formal dining events still do take place, and remain one of the more subtle parts of career advancement evaluations. For a fun look at this probably vintage concept of teaching manners to modern youth, see if you can find a  small documentary called "Bogalusa Charm School".

I think that's a great idea for a ship activity and the kids would enjoy putting their new skills into practice onboard.  It could be good fun for them.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And they sail free on some promos, eat free, use towels and linens, use extra steward time to make up and close the fold-out bed, while solos pay for a person who does none of that. Yes, I know, the phantom person in my room isn't buying drinks, etc. so the ship loses revenue. Kids may drink sodas, but they don't drink alcohol or gamble or shop in the jewelry stores. Except for the fact that the kids for free gets the parents to book, I'm not sure this is such a good deal for HAL.

Don't they charge the daily gratuities for all persons, child and adult alike?

Family groups also tend to buy more photos, and just think of all the shore excursions (even at children's rates).

I can also confirm that on the several occasions that DS and I traveled with grandparents, the grands bought a tee shirt, model ship, and so on for DS as a memento of the trip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Your list of policies is simple enough and should go without saying. But considering that there has been a "chair hog" policy about chairs at the pool for years and it is never enforced, the odds of anyone on staff saying anything to the parents of misbehaving children with or without an official policy are lower than the odds of me winning the powerball lottery. 

Inside voice? Does anyone teach that concept any more? And I don't mean little kids. I mean adults who have no idea how loud they are (and no, not old folks shouting because they're going deaf).

I hear what you are saying, but cruise lines are going to have to step up and and be accountable for their own policies if they want to maintain a loyal customer base. Going back to Carnival again, it was only after multiple fist fights at sea that they got serious about security. I saw one video where a guy who was at least 6' 5" was in a fight and a very tiny security guard showed up. What's he going to do? I have heard more recently that onboard security is now working to diffuse situations before they get out of hand; you know, like they should have been doing all along. 

I've heard the complaint about chair hogs from many people for many cruise lines. Time to step up and enforce policies or end up with fewer and fewer passengers who decide to go to Universal Studios instead. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

Oh yes, the old t-shirt, photo, shore ex.  An oldie but a goodie.  I can tell you without a doubt anything I buy onboard is MUCH more expensive than that.  

When I was in club orange a couple brought their daughter into club orange.  That child smacked a spoon against a glass the entire meal.  The mother supplemented that with singing, repeating the same word over and over and saying nothing to the child about the spoon behavior.  Contrast that with a couple that brought their child into Sel de mer.  They were in there for a very LONG time.  If I wouldn't have seen that child with my own eyes, I wouldn't have thought she was there.  As I walked out, I said I hope you don't mind but I really admire how well behaved your child is.  I wish all kids were like that.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I hear what you are saying, but cruise lines are going to have to step up and and be accountable for their own policies if they want to maintain a loyal customer base. Going back to Carnival again, it was only after multiple fist fights at sea that they got serious about security. I saw one video where a guy who was at least 6' 5" was in a fight and a very tiny security guard showed up. What's he going to do? I have heard more recently that onboard security is now working to diffuse situations before they get out of hand; you know, like they should have been doing all along. 

I've heard the complaint about chair hogs from many people for many cruise lines. Time to step up and enforce policies or end up with fewer and fewer passengers who decide to go to Universal Studios instead. 

The chair hog situation may change. On my last survey from HAL they asked if I would be willing to pay to reserve chairs poolside. Once there is money involved HAL will start policing chair hogs. 

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

The chair hog situation may change. On my last survey from HAL they asked if I would be willing to pay to reserve chairs poolside. Once there is money involved HAL will start policing chair hogs. 

So maybe HAL can start charging extra for a "No Children Allowed" dinner in the signature restaurants. 😀

My son is always complaining about having to fly with screaming children and insists there should be child-free flying. I told him there is. It called First Class. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

So maybe HAL can start charging extra for a "No Children Allowed" dinner in the signature restaurants. 😀

My son is always complaining about having to fly with screaming children and insists there should be child-free flying. I told him there is. It called First Class. 

They allow children in first class too, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

They allow children in first class too, unfortunately. 

Actually the children we have seen in that class have been VERY well behaved and a pleasure.

Let’s not tar all children and parents with the same brush.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1