Frank Del Rio announces retirement

jerseyfresh72

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Going strictly from memory, Kevin Sheehan's predecessor (Veetch-sp?) sued Sheehan while he was in charge.  This was in response to some negative things Sheehan had published about Vetch previously.   It came down to a ***** contest as Sheehan fought back at Veetch.  Optics are never good when Execs and former execs start fighting and suing each other.  BOD I'm sure were not in the mood for it and let Sheehan go.

But, Sheehan did indeed foster some of the innovations that is widely copied by all cruise lines, today.  He was guest focused and a credit to NCL.

Last I heard he was on the Board of Directors for Dave and Busters.

OH WOW!!!!  I did not know that Kevin could be with Dave and Busters.  A few weeks ago Dave and Busters hired Simon Murray former Cruise Director rising to Director of Entertainment for NCL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Well, if Harry worse, so be it and that will be telling.

How many millions is it to leave your lover, for your convenience, of course, and get yourself FREE.

Harry will probably not be worse.  It will just FDR 2.0 as he has been FDR's yes man since the 90's at Renaissance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, phissy said:

It was reported,that NCL asked MSC if they were interested in acquiring NCL. Answer from MSC was No Thanks.

Yeah...not buying that.  Reported by who?  Maybe MSC cruisers would like NCL and MSC to merge as NCL could probably up the customer satisfaction for MSC.  But, I doubt NCL would be interested in taking on that burden.

Edited by graphicguy

13 hours ago, zzdoug said:

The share price is historically low but whoever buys it will have to figure out how to deal with $12 billion in debt. Not saying it won't happen.

No issue. Gets shaven off the sale price. 

On 3/20/2023 at 11:26 AM, graphicguy said:

While I'm not an FDR fan, I think his deft navigation through the whole COVID shutdown, and just as importantly, the COVID restart, with firm and unequivocal policies, got NCL going again.

All the rest of the mainstream cruise lines were a jumbled mess in the way they handled it in comparison.

Hmmmmmmmmm.   How NCL handled anything did not stand out as great to me--no more or less than any other cruise line through unprecedented events.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

I think things changed on NCL cruises when FDR took over, and a lot of it was not good.   

Well, FDR took over at NCLH...not at NCL, so we need to keep that in mind.

When you say "a lot of it was not good", is that not good in your personal opinion, or not good in the opinion of the BOD of NCLH?

29 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

When you say "a lot of it was not good", is that not good in your personal opinion, or not good in the opinion of the BOD of NCLH?

Pretty sure DR took over as CEO of NCL when Kevin Sheehan left.  (not sure with or w/o the "H" matters here, but ok)

And in my opinion, of course!  😃 (and other cruisers as well if you go back to when he took over in 2015).    And yes, things I did not like as a cruise consumer.   e.g. NCL probably remains the only cruise line to increase DSC TWO times in one year.  Other things too.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

Pretty sure DR took over as CEO of NCL when Kevin Sheehan left.  (not sure with or w/o the "H" matters)

And in my opinion, of course!  😃 (and other cruisers as well if you go back to when he took over in 2015).    And yes, things I did not like as a cruise consumer.   e.g. NCL probably remains the only cruise line to increase DSC TWO times in one year.  Other things too.  

Nope...NCLH in both instances...and yes, the "H" matters because NCL and NCLH are two different companies. FDR is the President/CEO of NCLH and Harry Sommer is the President/CEO of NCL right now. Harry Sommer will become President/CEO of NCLH and David Herrera will become President/CEO of NCL. Not dissimilar to understanding the difference between Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line.

You do understand that the opinion of a cruise consumer doesn't really matter since the President/CEO of NCLH works for the BOD and the Stockholders and has to do what THEY think is "best", right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizLORInj said:

e.g. NCL probably remains the only cruise line to increase DSC TWO times in one year. 

NCL is a brand within NCLH and is led by Harry Sommer.  It was probably Harry who felt is was smart to increase fees and reduce services.  I suspect the BOD likes the “revenue/profit stream” that Harry is generating—especially now as the company tries to climb out of the Covid abyss.  We don’t necessarily know if FDR was in favor of the cuts/increases. In fact this could be one reason for his retirement (voluntarily or not…who knows). I believe Harry Sommers and his sidekick Herrera became associated with NCL brand in 2020-2021.  The cuts/increases were planned in 2021 for 2022 implementation.  Today’s NCL is a product of Sommers/Herrera.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Hmmmmmmmmm.   How NCL handled anything did not stand out as great to me--no more or less than any other cruise line through unprecedented events.  

When the restart was happening, NCL/FDR came right out and said they were requiring all passengers to be vaccinated and provide a negative covid test.  PERIOD.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  There was no grey area.  There was no debate.  They precluded letting children sail, as a result, probably to their financial detriment.  They sailed to Alaska when Canada wasn't allowing cruise ships.  So, NCL went directly from Seattle to Alaska, with no stopovers to Canada.  East Coast sailings to Canada were suspended, again to NCL's financial detriment.

Celebrity did the same, except for children, who at the time had no approved vaccination.  But, they limited the amount of non-vaccinated passengers who could sail (again, limiting it to a few infants).

Everyone knew the rules.  There was no "fudge" factor of who could or could not cruise, where they could or could not go on the ships, where they could and could not eat.

The rest of the main stream lines did crazy gyrations.  Some could be vaccinated. Some not. They segregated parts of their ships that prohibited non-vaccinated passengers from entering.    Some required masks for those who were not vaccinated.  If I remember correctly, they actually segregated restaurants where non-vaccinated had to eat vs vaccinated.  It was nuts.

So yeah...I think NCL and Celebrity did a great job until the pandemic risks subsided.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

When the restart was happening, NCL/FDR came right out and said they were requiring all passengers to be vaccinated and provide a negative covid test.  PERIOD.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  There was no grey area.  There was no debate.  They precluded letting children sail, as a result, probably to their financial detriment.  They sailed to Alaska when Canada wasn't allowing cruise ships.  So, NCL went directly from Seattle to Alaska, with no stopovers to Canada.  East Coast sailings to Canada were suspended, again to NCL's financial detriment.

Celebrity did the same, except for children, who at the time had no approved vaccination.  But, they limited the amount of non-vaccinated passengers who could sail (again, limiting it to a few infants).

Everyone knew the rules.  There was no "fudge" factor of who could or could not cruise, where they could or could not go on the ships, where they could and could not eat.

The rest of the main stream lines did crazy gyrations.  Some could be vaccinated. Some not. They segregated parts of their ships that prohibited non-vaccinated passengers from entering.    Some required masks for those who were not vaccinated.  If I remember correctly, they actually segregated restaurants where non-vaccinated had to eat vs vaccinated.  It was nuts.

So yeah...I think NCL and Celebrity did a great job until the pandemic risks subsided.

Thanks for the trip down crappy memory lane.  You're right.  Do you remember those RCL photos of unvaccinated folks being allowed to dance in their assigned circle of light?  🤣 I really hope "we" have learned something from all this.  Unfortunately, if we've learned anything from history, it's that we never learn a thing. 

• Like 1

I actually met Kevin Sheehan when I was sailing the Epic, probably 10 a dozen years ago.

My GF and I were at the Guest Services kiosk talking to the agent.  We saw an entourage approach our position.  Everyone got a little more upright, more friendly, more attentive when person who was leading the entourage came up to us and introduced himself.

”Hi…I’m Kevin.  Are you enjoying yourself?”

We were flabbergasted.  

We didn’t talk long….maybe 5 minutes.  He wanted to know where we were from, why we chose the Epic,  what we liked and disliked about the ship.  And, if we were being promptly taken care of.

Also ended up getting a free dinner at Cagney’s out of the encounter.

Met Arnold Donald on the pool deck of the Carnival Vista.  Actually, almost bumped right into him from the back on the pool deck stairs.  He was also with an entourage.  From the back, I couldn’t tell who he was.  But, as he turned around we were face-to-face.  Again, quick conversation.  Introductions….how was my cruise…..having fun…etc.

Mr Donald is no longer with Carnival, if memory serves.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Met Arnold Donald on the pool deck of the Carnival Vista.  Actually, almost bumped right into him from the back on the pool deck stairs.  He was also with an entourage.  From the back, I couldn’t tell who he was.  But, as he turned around we were face-to-face.  Again, quick conversation.  Introductions….how was my cruise…..having fun…etc.

Mr Donald is no longer with Carnival, if memory serves.

Thanks for sharing your stories about Mr. Sheehan and Mr. Donald.  He left Carnival a few months ago.  

Sometime in the near future, I imagine Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Donald, and Mr. Fain on some random big cruise ship that they used to control, sitting around swapping war stories about leading big cruise lines through some sometimes terrifying times, and surviving.  THAT would be a fun conversation to eavesdrop on.

P.S.  When was your encounter with Mr. Donald?  Just curious.

9 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing your stories about Mr. Sheehan and Mr. Donald.  He left Carnival a few months ago.  

Sometime in the near future, I imagine Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Donald, and Mr. Fain on some random big cruise ship that they used to control, sitting around swapping war stories about leading big cruise lines through some sometimes terrifying times, and surviving.  THAT would be a fun conversation to eavesdrop on.

P.S.  When was your encounter with Mr. Donald?  Just curious.

Thanks.  I was on the Carnival Vista when I ran into Mr Donald.  It was right before the Pandemic hit.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:59 AM, graphicguy said:

But, Sheehan did indeed foster some of the innovations that is widely copied by all cruise lines, today.  He was guest focused and a credit to NCL.

Last I heard he was on the Board of Directors for Dave and Busters.

Sheehan also bought a stake in Bahamas Paradise cruise lines, now Margarita at Sea. His son, Jr., is CEO of that line now - https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Margaritaville-at-Sea-working-attract-travel-advisors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, SeaShark said:

And if you hear him talking you know many changes did come from him. 

I don‘t know why some user always writes he has nothing to do with ncl. 

the go karts was his thing too. Because of a idear of his grandson. 

4 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

the go karts was his thing too. Because of a idear of his grandson. 

What is this...a remake of the plot to "Big?" Maybe if NCL listened to their customers instead of setting strategic direction because of the whims of the multi-millionaire CEO's snot nosed little kid the product would be in better shape. 

I personally think that the amusement park at sea is a horrible idea. But, FDR's whole game plan was to go after the untapped cruiser base.  You know, the ones who have no idea what cruising was. He does not care about the loyal NCL cruiser. He knew we would still come until the brand got so bad that we finally moved on to other providers.