Can you bring wine onboard to consume at Europe ports?

KKB

I know you can bring 2 bottles/stateroom on embarkation day.

I have heard that they are more lax about wine in Europe--perhaps this isn't true or has changed.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

Thank you!

We brought on two bottles per person for our October cruise on the Beyond and our hoilday cruise on the Apex.

4 total for our cabin.

I believe that is the policy for Celebrity unless it has changed since Jan. 

27 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

We brought on two bottles per person for our October cruise on the Beyond and our hoilday cruise on the Apex.

4 total for our cabin.

I believe that is the policy for Celebrity unless it has changed since Jan. 

Current policy is 2 per stateroom...but let's admit, you could go thru security a little "separately" & they would never know...

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Current policy is 2 per stateroom...but let's admit, you could go thru security a little "separately" & they would never know...

No the current policy is. 2 per adult, max 4 per cabin on embarkation.

• Like 1

Technically after embarkation - no but many times security doesn't collect them at baggage check.   Just be prepared if you try that they could take them from you and return at disembarkation. 

I agree that it's a bit of a crapshoot whether they take and hold the wine or wave it through.  We recently were permitted to bring on two bottles of wine when we came back on the ship in Nassau.  That was a pleasant surprise.

I get the feeling that dealing with wine isn't worth the hassle for them.  That could continue or change.  No telling.

15 hours ago, jelayne said:

From the Royal Caribbean website:

"On embarkation day, each guest of drinking age may bring one (1) sealed 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne. Boxed wine and other containers are prohibited."

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

This is not the RCI forum. Celebrity's policy for wine is currently 2 bottles per PERSON upon embarkation day. 

Agree, but the question from the OP was can you bring wine on board at European ports.

As said, yes you can bring wine on board at port calls - really anywhere.

You might be allowed to take a bottle or two to your cabin OR

the wine might be held by security until the last day of your cruise.

About 50/50 - either way.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree, but the question from the OP was can you bring wine on board at European ports.

As said, yes you can bring wine on board at port calls - really anywhere.

You might be allowed to take a bottle or two to your cabin OR

the wine might be held by security until the last day of your cruise.

About 50/50 - either way.

May bring a bottle on from the 1st port & see how it goes...

2 hours ago, steve ch said:

From the Royal Caribbean website:

"On embarkation day, each guest of drinking age may bring one (1) sealed 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne. Boxed wine and other containers are prohibited."

Wrong cruise line so not relevant here.

23 hours ago, KKB said:

I know you can bring 2 bottles/stateroom on embarkation day.

I have heard that they are more lax about wine in Europe--perhaps this isn't true or has changed.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

Thank you!

There was definitely a time where if you booked a wine excursion they looked the other way when you brought wine back with you on the ship.  But otherwise there was a table just inside security where you left wine purchased on shore to be delivered back to your state room on the last night. But this takes personnel and when the ships were understaffed they may not have wanted to assign people to this task so everybody could bring anything they wanted onto the ship. As staffing returns to normal levels, they may change back to stricter controls.

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Wrong cruise line so not relevant here.

Oops!

I have both lines booked, so I'm flipping between the forums. My bad.

Still, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn of the change on Celebrity. I don't supopose Royal are likely to follow suit. 😞

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

There's actually no stated limit that I've seen on the number of bottles per stateroom, only per adult.  For example, if you had 4 adults in a room, each of them could carry on 2 bottles so you could have 8 bottles for one stateroom.

Can’t comment on Europe but I bought 8 bottles on Summit that I bought in Nova Scotia. I carried it on in a cardboard case box. Security said no problem as long as I was bringing it all home, which I was, but honestly it would not have been enforced. I took it to my cabin. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, Alakegirl said:

Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately there’s no predicting whether they will take it or let you bring it on board.

Absolutely true, it is totally unpredictable and it all depends solely on the motivation of the security guy behind the screen. Has nothing to little to do with "Europe" or the ship, I think this level of laxness is really personal and even the cruise line is not a factor😄 

On 3/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, Alakegirl said:

There was definitely a time where if you booked a wine excursion they looked the other way when you brought wine back with you on the ship.  But otherwise there was a table just inside security where you left wine purchased on shore to be delivered back to your state room on the last night. But this takes personnel and when the ships were understaffed they may not have wanted to assign people to this task so everybody could bring anything they wanted onto the ship. As staffing returns to normal levels, they may change back to stricter controls.

There was also a time when on their designated wine cruises you could bring wine back from any port, with their blessing.