Crystal Announces Launch of Exceptional Initiative Guests who Lost Money Under Crystal Cruises’ Former Ownership Can Apply

Keith1010

Some additional information.

Let's say you have a lot of money coming back in credits and you don't want to book several different cruises.

You can apply each of these to more than one suite on the same voyage. So for some it might be an opportunity to invite say family to join you on the cruise and the credit could be used for each suite you book.

Just a thought.

Keith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

They will issue the credits after that is done. If you are on the July 31 cruise and the proceedings are not completed by then you will receive them retroactively.

Keith

Now I am not sure I get it. If we book our first cruise by July 31st and we do not receive anything from Moecker, will NC give us a discount of 1/5 of what OC owed us? Or will NC wait until Moecker finish its work first instead of giving us the discount at the time of booking?

Ivi

6 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Now I am not sure I get it. If we book our first cruise by July 31st and we do not receive anything from Moecker, will NC give us a discount of 1/5 of what OC owed us? Or will NC wait until Moecker finish its work first instead of giving us the discount at the time of booking?

Ivi

I have just asked.

Keith

2 hours ago, bitob said:

The offer is not “generous”

I said it was a nice gesture of good will and I applaud it

the terms are insane 

it will work well only for those planning to be regulars with the new company and I am happy for those who can take advantage of it

and it does stink that 5 cruises can’t include b2bs or grand voyages. Makes it much harder to squeez3 in 5 cruises to get all the money back

You'll get back more on your grand voyage than you would on a 7 day cruise. It's based on what you are still owed. So if you paid $100,000 for the grand voyage and are still owed 100k , you get $20,000  for each of 5 cruises.

If you booked a 7 day cruise and are still owed $10,000 you'll get $2,000 for each of the five cruises. 

Why do you see that as a problem since either way you'll get back what you are owed?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

So it is a promise for a credit after Moecker finish his work? I hope not. Why will they tie this goodwill offer to the work of Moecker if the New Crystal does not have anything to do with the work being done from the Assignees who are acting on behalf of the Original Crystal?

Ivi

Ivi, all I said was I just asked.

Wouldn't it be best to see what they say?

Just now, Keith1010 said:

Ivi, all I said was I just asked.

Wouldn't it be best to see what they say?

I am sorry Keith. I understood you that you have asked and the answer was your previous post. A misunderstanding from my part. I will delete my post.

Ivi

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Isn’t that what it’s for?  Makes sense to me. 

I believe it is intended to attract those who wouldn’t go back because of all the lost money. They want those folks to book. I don’t think it will have big impact

24 minutes ago, AtA said:

You'll get back more on your grand voyage than you would on a 7 day cruise. It's based on what you are still owed. So if you paid $100,000 for the grand voyage and are still owed 100k , you get $20,000  for each of 5 cruises.

If you booked a 7 day cruise and are still owed $10,000 you'll get $2,000 for each of the five cruises. 

Why do you see that as a problem since either way you'll get back what you are owed?

Because if I spend 160 days on world cruise eg where is there time for most to take 4 more cruises in the allotted time period?  Many of us take very long cruises. Add to that many who plan to return to nc have other bookings. 

If you have nothing booked through 2025 and take shorter cruises it will work for those wanting to return 

I want to give one important clarification on the use of the Exceptional Initiative option announced by Crystal today (this info is from Crystal so I’m sure of it’s validity)

The credit, which has to be used within 2 years, can also be applied to family members and friends if they travel on the same voyage. i.e. if a former passenger has a valid claim of $10,000, he/she can apply $2000 to 5 bookings. So as an example if on the first voyage the clients brings another 4 family members in 2 separate cabins, he can use 3 out of 5 instalments so $6000 in one cruise

So maybe it’s not so hard to utilise the 5 bookings - share the love with friends and family!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bitob said:

If you planned to sail nc anyway it’s fabulous 

found money 

Then why did you say it stinks if you can’t get ALL YOUR MONEY BACK? Now you say it’s fabulous so which is it? Your comments may make sense to you but sure sounds contradictory to many of us.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmycruiser said:

Then why did you say it stinks if you can’t get ALL YOUR MONEY BACK? Now you say it’s fabulous so which is it? Your comments may make sense to you but sure sounds contradictory to many of us.

Read all my posts

it is fabulous for those planning to book the nc anyway. A gift. They didn’t care about the loss and booked anyway. Huge benefit

not so great for others who really had no intention of returning and I believe that is the target audience of the offer

hard to book all 5 cruises especially if you’ve already booked other cruises because you did not intend to return to nc

20% back on raised prices not so attractive

If you book long cruises even harder to recoup the money 

wait for bankruptcy???

I said I applaud crystal for doing something. That was my very first post. I find the terms and restrictions less than favorable for me. I am booked well into 2025. My cruising friends are in same situation. 

it will be great for those who lost money and wanted to book anyway 

there is no contradiction at all

• Thanks 1

Look, this new Crystal offer only works for people who believe it's generous. For those of us who don't, it doesn't work. An avid cruiser like me is already booked well into 2038. If I spend 315 days a year on a world/universe cruise, I won't have time to take advantage of the promotion. I can't believe Crystal wouldn't consider that super wealthy people like me would be spending our huge stockpiles of cash elsewhere. And just to be clear, all of my cruising friends agree with me about everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

15 minutes ago, avalon244 said:

Look, this new Crystal offer only works for people who believe it's generous. For those of us who don't, it doesn't work. An avid cruiser like me is already booked well into 2038. If I spend 315 days a year on a world/universe cruise, I won't have time to take advantage of the promotion. I can't believe Crystal wouldn't consider that super wealthy people like me would be spending our huge stockpiles of cash elsewhere. And just to be clear, all of my cruising friends agree with me about everything. 

Good one!!🥸😎🤪

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TER777 said:

What about the old FCCs? Presumably those can’t be used. 

I don’t have any info to confirm this or not but are you talking about FCCs that were “bonuses” issued by old Crystal?

If so I think it would be very unusual if they were treated as a real debt by the receiver given no payment was made for this bonus element would they really have a dollar value? and if that’s the case there wouldn’t be a valid claim to leverage and certainly it’s hard to see why new Crystal should reimburse those amounts 

Other things like that component that spring to mind that I’m not expecting reimbursement for are unused Crystal Society benefits like number of cruise milestones for varying levels of OBC’s and sadly even the non refundable deposit component which was applied as a FCC - i detested those when they were first introduced but as it turns out every booking I do now with other lines and new Crystal includes that penalty in the event of cancellation - so it’s not unusual in the industry now 

I think what new Crystal have done here is pretty generous and not something they had any obligation to do - it’s an unexpected bonus 

• Like 2

FCC's that are NOT bonus are considered debt in the eyes of ABC and in the eyes of insurance companies. We were fortunate to have insurance on one of the cancelled cruises that included FCC and the base payment plus the FCC was paid.  I only had to show the paperwork where the FCC originated from.  The other two -- not so smart.

As far as the court, they recently granted a motion to begin paying out claims using the 13M in cash on hand.

1) Number 1 in line are back wages -- up to 10K per person.  After 10K you are banished to the back of the line  There is about 800K in back wages.

2) Number 2 in line are Cruise deposits per cruise claim up to $2,225.  After that in the back of the line

3) If any money is left after 1 and 2 (doubtful) then everyone is in same boat as unsecured creditors and likely will get a penny on the dollar if that.

The issue for ABC remains going through the paperwork validating the claims, as many were settled either by the credit card process or insurance which also took months to settle.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

FCC's that are NOT bonus are considered debt in the eyes of ABC and in the eyes of insurance companies. We were fortunate to have insurance on one of the cancelled cruises that included FCC and the base payment plus the FCC was paid.  I only had to show the paperwork where the FCC originated from.  The other two -- not so smart.

As far as the court, they recently granted a motion to begin paying out claims using the 13M in cash on hand.

1) Number 1 in line are back wages -- up to 10K per person.  After 10K you are banished to the back of the line  There is about 800K in back wages.

2) Number 2 in line are Cruise deposits per cruise claim up to $2,225.  After that in the back of the line

3) If any money is left after 1 and 2 (doubtful) then everyone is in same boat as unsecured creditors and likely will get a penny on the dollar if that.

The issue for ABC remains going through the paperwork validating the claims, as many were settled either by the credit card process or insurance which also took months to settle.

Anything for travel agents?  They lost huge amounts 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Thanks for the information Keith.

I see that currently Crystal is only showing departures till the end of 2024 but the credit can be used for 2025 as well. Do you think that the schedule for these sailings will be released soon so that we may be able to take advantage of the offer?

They will release sometime before July 1.

Keith

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

They way it was explained to me is if your submission is approved you would get the credit based on what you are owed. If Moecker refunds you some money then the credit would be reduced by that amount.

Keith

8 hours ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Hi Keith,

I don't have a Crystal Society number as what were to be my first two cruises on Crystal were canceled due to the bankruptcy.  I did file claims with Michael Moecker as I'm out nearly $10,000 in deposits.  The claim form did not ask for a Crystal Society number.  As far as you know, will I qualify for these credits?  Thanks!

Bill

If you filed the form and they verify that with Moceker you will get the credit so no worries about the Crystal Society Number.  

Keith

• Like 1