Minors losing their Diamond status…

That stinks for them! 

My kids status is what mine was at the time they turned 18. My daughter kept Diamond status but she has since had enough of her own points to be Diamond on her own. I made it to Diamond + when my son turned 18. He is Diamond on his own but he does get the + perks which makes his older sister mad since she’s 22 and he’s 19 and he gets one more drink than she does and he’s not of legal age. It makes him very happy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

IMO, those that get their tier level from a parent, spouse or living together and are no longer with that higher tier level person then their CAS tier level should be adjusted to their actual CAS cruise points. 

I’m good with that. 
but we shall see what actually happens. 

For some time now there have been reports of this occurring.  Granted most folks reported the opposite but it's not something that hasn't been reported before so this isn't totally new. 

People have reported for years that dependent children lost their status at 18 and were reset to their natural level.  There were not a lot of reports of it happening but there have been reports.  Most families did not experience this but that doesn't make it a documented policy.  When it has happened and it was appealed, the appeal reportedly was denied. 

It has become more of a practice than a policy.  In practice, most families saw their children's status frozen upon turning 18 but as stated there have been reported cases of the opposite.  

It is odd that a phone agent and a ship LA both cited this recently.  It's even more odd that an LA went out of their way to make the phone call to inform a guest of this change.  Most would presumably choose to avoid the confrontation and demote after the cruise without saying a word. 

I've yet to find written policy that explicitly states it one way or the other.  The so-called "policy" has been an interpretation based on what occurred more often.

Here is 2017 verbiage from an old PDF I found.

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with

other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier

status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises

taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described

above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents

if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status

can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of

them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse

or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle

Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other.

Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon

their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not

immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and

accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents

record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

Interpretation hinges on:

Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date.

If they are taken out of the relationship then they would not be eligible for any status other than their natural status.  

Some people interpreted that children would have their status frozen upon their 18th birthday but it has never actually stated that.   

...the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

This is ambiguous because it doesn't define what "appropriate tier status" is supposed to be.  The frozen level or the earned by their own actual points level? 

So what happens upon a divorce?  Are the individuals set back to their natural points levels or does the person with the lower personal points become frozen at their pre-divorce level?  It's kind of the same scenario as a dependent turning 18.  They are no longer in the relationship, but what happens to their status?  It's never been clear in the published verbiage.  

The lastest is now dated March 10, 2023.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a

relationship with other family members in the same household

and receive equivalent tier status; however, Cruise Points will

remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using

the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle

Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if

earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member

tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or

significant other* by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise

Points or more in the Crown & Anchor Society program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a

spouse or significant other* and children less than 18 years old.

For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or

significant other*.

*In all instances, a “significant other” is defined as someone in

a similar relationship to an individual as a spouse.

Note there is less verbiage but it is clear that you must be under 18 to be a dependent in a family relationship. If over 18 you cannot be in a relationship.  

That leads us to the next question.  What happens if you are no longer eligible to be in a defined relationship?  It doesn't say if CAS level becomes frozen or not.  So that leaves the CAS in a position to make a determination such as "No relationship, no match.  No freeze.  Period.".   

My formerly dependent children missed the boat on dependent status because we used to cruise other cruise lines and their first Royal cruise occured when they were over 17.  When I called to see if there was any manner that would allow them to be retroactively adjusted I was told no and the reason given was because as soon as they turned 18 they would have lost the status match anyways, so even if they were retroactively made my status as 17 yo's it would be instantly lost because of their current age.  That conversation occurred a number of years ago so going back a number of years the policy has been "Lose status on the 18th birthday" and not "frozen at the 18th birthday" despite that is what most seem to have experienced.   

I'm guessing in this case the daughter's account was flagged because of the phone call pre-cruise.  Had that call not happened they would have likely continued to fly under the radar like the vast majority of people with now older than dependent children.  With the account flagged the LA onboard must have seen the red flag and acted by fulfilling the record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

Lesson learned - if you are over 17 and a former dependent status match benefactor keep quiet and fly under the radar.  

• Like 4

In the case of a child under 18 does their seapass show the level of points earned by the child or by the parent? I am platinum and my 13 year old is gold on her seapass. How will she get into the "Exclusive Top Tier Event" or claim other platinum level rewards? Should her seapass show my level? 

1 hour ago, rrraydon said:

I would agree…except it happened on the phone with C&A before left, too…it’s just too coincidental. But I do hope it’s just new people who do not know the rules. I’d hate to see her loose her Diamond status she’s had for 6 years since turning 18, that would really suck. Next they’ll be taking the status from spouses, too. 

I rather wish they would remove the matching status if/when the spousal or significant other relationship ends.  The previous spouse/SO loses their linked status before a new new one can be attached to the account. I see no reason a person with a series of temporary live-in GF’s or BF’s should pass permanent C&A status to each of those ex’s, for example. 

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

In the case of a child under 18 does their seapass show the level of points earned by the child or by the parent? I am platinum and my 13 year old is gold on her seapass. How will she get into the "Exclusive Top Tier Event" or claim other platinum level rewards? Should her seapass show my level? 

If underage during sailing child is supposed to have level parents have. It is strange that your minor daughter has a different level.

As for Top Tier Event... we are D+ adults and we do not attend often, I cannot imagine what will be interesting for 13 years old there. 

Edited by Tatka

It's interesting (to me) they've moved verbiage about dependents to a different area of the benefits grid now.  Specific pinnacle dependent status added.  

Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their

parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy

select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the

tier. Children will be removed from a loyalty relationship with

a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found

that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from

a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a

higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent’s

record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status

without notice.

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

If underage during sailing child is supposed to have level parents have. It is strange that your minor daughter has a different level.

As for Top Tier Event... we are D+ adults and we do not attend often, I cannot imagine what will be interesting for 13 years old there. 

I have never been so don't know what it is, lol. Was just using this as an example.

Edited by Jussabitconfused

Just now, Jussabitconfused said:

I have never been so don't know what it is, lol. 

Well, it is really not for kids. Mostly it is acknowledgement of people turning pinnacle level, maybe with some entertainment. Usually some beverages (mostly champagne and wines) are provided.

We skipped last 5 events as they are often in the morning of first or second sea day and we are too lazy to leave solarium. 🙂

8 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

What’s wrong with “we’re married for the week” action?  Whatever works. 

Benefits from the action on board and CAS benefits that apply globally off the ship are great ...until the two worlds meet.  

Just now, Tatka said:

Well, it is really not for kids. Mostly it is acknowledgement of people turning pinnacle level, maybe with some entertainment. Usually some beverages (mostly champagne and wines) are provided.

We skipped last 5 events as they are often in the morning of first or second sea day and we are too lazy to leave solarium. 🙂

Well, I am glad I know what it is, I can't see where I would be entertained, either. 

On the reason she might show gold status. She is in the room next door to our cabin with her older sister, also gold status but over 18. Maybe it is because she is with another "adult" who is gold?

I am sure people will be upset but how else is royal to stop the ridiculous hack of your child who didn't earn diamond passing on that unearned status with their significant other and children... And on and on.  Especially when they are giving all those drinks for free. 

It's unsustainable without doing something to stop the diamond virus. 

Of course if your children got enough points to be diamond by being on the cruises then they def should have the status as well when they turn adult and still be able to spread the virus 😜

It just sounds like they fixed/updated the way they track relationships in their system/database to properly track status.  Which in the long run will make it better for the people that actually earned the status and not a kid who is now an adult who inherited status by just going on one cruise with a parent who was diamond/d+.  This would also fix other relationship issues like separation/divorce status.

Edited by Blur
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What @Blur said.

I'm not going to look it up, but there was a thread a couple summers ago with a discussion about how the status matching was infinitely recursive. Parents to children to spouses to grandchildren, their spouses, step kids, then in divorce, everyone keeping the unearned status, then their new kids would get it, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous.

That said, having matching status within a family group as they are traveling together in a single group makes sense to me. If even say, regardless of age. Maybe get rid of permanent matching status, and just say all family members get the status of the highest status family member traveling? 

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

What @Blur said.

I'm not going to look it up, but there was a thread a couple summers ago with a discussion about how the status matching was infinitely recursive. Parents to children to spouses to grandchildren, their spouses, step kids, then in divorce, everyone keeping the unearned status, then their new kids would get it, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous.

That said, having matching status within a family group as they are traveling together in a single group makes sense to me. If even say, regardless of age. Maybe get rid of permanent matching status, and just say all family members get the status of the highest status family member traveling? 

How about minors traveling with who they live with, get the highest status?  Otherwise, what do you consider a "family" group?  You could get a group of 25-30 family traveling together using the status of one person.  How do you determine who is "family"  To keep it simple, they've always used people traveling together who live at the same address.   It has been a ridiculous policy to allow inheritance, but has only become a real problem in the last few years.  In reality, it should be each person has their own status and points with minors having their parent/guardian status til they are adults like is being reportedly being done now.

• Like 3

Find the cruise lines that match loyalty tiers and sign up for them to give your kids some options when they turn 18. Mind you, who knows if they'll even want to keep cruising as adults when they have to start paying for their own vacations. 

My D kids have 13 and 15 years before having to worry about this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I rather wish they would remove the matching status if/when the spousal or significant other relationship ends.  The previous spouse/SO loses their linked status before a new new one can be attached to the account. I see no reason a person with a series of temporary live-in GF’s or BF’s should pass permanent C&A status to each of those ex’s, for example. 

Based on what DD was told, live-ins do not have permenant status, it can be revoked. Fingers crossed she doesn't need to ever explore that option though.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

It's interesting (to me) they've moved verbiage about dependents to a different area of the benefits grid now.  Specific pinnacle dependent status added.  

Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their

parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy

select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the

tier. Children will be removed from a loyalty relationship with

a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found

that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from

a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a

higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent’s

record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status

without notice.

That seems pretty cut and dried? I think it's only fair. I'm all for allowing dependents to share their parents status, while they are dependents, but then kick them out of the nest and let them earn it on their own.

• Like 2

LA on previous cruise 2 weeks ago echoed the decision from original poster.  My kids are Diamond based on our status.  When they turn 18 they are on their own.  Granted they will be Diamond when they do turn 18 but the decision remains.  He said they earn own points.  

• Like 1