Minors losing their Diamond status…

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I kinda of agree because if both parents get points it is because they paid for it not the kids.

I think the kids should get half points.  

Yeah, except when you have 2 cabins and a child in each cabin and pay a 2nd person fare.  Remember, Royal considers anyone over 12 to be an adult for fare purposes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I just don't see going as far as finding C&A customers due to be demoted and then try to claw back the somewhat minor amounts of balcony discount on an existing booking - that seems so petty/desperate.

So would an LA go to the trouble to call them on board and notify them of the demotion?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I just don't see going as far as finding C&A customers due to be demoted and then try to claw back the somewhat minor amounts of balcony discount on an existing booking - that seems so petty/desperate.

I agree. It does look kind of petty.  I guess they save money on free drinks, too.  Notifying someone they lost their diamond status on board a ship seems like starting the cruise off on a bad note. My daughter is over 40 and is diamond from a while back. I don't think she has enough points to be diamond, though.  I hope this new way to antagonize cruisers doesn't last. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

So would an LA go to the trouble to call them on board and notify them of the demotion?

I do not think they would want to do this.  They sometimes are barely even at their desk and work little hours as it is.  I think any more staff just wants to see smiles and positive comments.  

3 minutes ago, KansasK said:

I agree. It does look kind of petty.  I guess they save money on free drinks, too.  Notifying someone they lost their diamond status on board a ship seems like starting the cruise off on a bad note. My daughter is over 40 and is diamond from a while back. I don't think she has enough points to be diamond, though.  I hope this new way to antagonize cruisers doesn't last. 

I'd like to know how many inheritors actually sail.  I bet it's a minor, but Royal data base is overloaded with dormant accounts.  Just like voter's rolls which need to be cleaned every so often.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I kinda of agree because if both parents get points it is because they paid for it not the kids.

Why would it matter who paid?  If they sail they get the points.  No different than flying.  No one is talking about kids who have legitimately sailed the number of nights remaining diamond, people are talking about kids thst may have only sailed once and remaining diamond.  

• Like 5

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would it matter who paid?  If they sail they get the points.  No different than flying.  No one is talking about kids who have legitimately sailed the number of nights remaining diamond, people are talking about kids thst may have only sailed once and remaining diamond.  

some day down the road there will be way too many pinnacles.  I don't think children need to be getting points just my opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

some day down the road there will be way too many pinnacles.  I don't think children need to be getting points just my opinion.

Then based on your logic husbands or wives where the other person paid should only get half points as well.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Yeah, except when you have 2 cabins and a child in each cabin and pay a 2nd person fare.  Remember, Royal considers anyone over 12 to be an adult for fare purposes.

Are there kids fares for any age unless RCI runs kids free promotion?

11 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Are there kids fares for any age unless RCI runs kids free promotion?

No kids fares that I'm aware of unless Royal runs kids free promo and this applies to those 12 and under.  However, under this program, kids pay the full taxes & fees amounts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No kids fares that I'm aware of unless Royal runs kids free promo and this applies to those 12 and under.  However, under this program, kids pay the full taxes & fees amounts.

I have a 3 year old granddaughter who sails with her parents and this is correct.

57 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

For kids IMO it should stay the same.  When the kids are on the ship, they should get the actual points for the cabin they are in.

However, that said, to expand upon your idea the parents should get all the kid's points split equally. That said it will still make for too many Pinnacles, which seems to have already arrived. 

I'd like the points per dollar spent but just because I'd like it doesn't mean it would happen.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Exactly.  These actions sound directed and very intentional.  No LA wants bad comments directed at them unless they were instructed to do this and has corporate backing.

Edited by Blur
  • Like 1

Same happened with our DD. She was diamond by virtue of being our kid, but they reverted her back to Emerald when she hit 18. She has since made Diamond on her own, and we are D+. 

Honestly I think that they should have to earn their own. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, little britain said:

A and B are married, they are Diamond and they have 2 children C and D

A and B divorce,

A marries E who has 2 children F and G. They all become Diamond.

B moves in with H, who has 4 children, J, K L and M.  They all become Diamond. 

C, D, F, G grow up and marry.. their spouses become Diamond. 
etc. etc. 

The existing system is ridiculous! 

I have long thought that the current system as it stands is like a pyramid scheme that has to  eventually reach its breaking point.

The frustrating point for me is that DW and I are just reaching Diamond.. the old fashioned way, and are looking forward to the few useful benefits that has to offer . It is clear Royal is currently revamping a lot of services with cost cutting in mind. So it stands to reason they need to take a hard look at changes (or enforcement) to C&A as well . As I see it there 2 logical options 

1) Reduce the benefits for ALL (including of course all the loyal customers who got to their tiers by actually earning it ) or 

2) Reduce the number of beneficiaries by attempting to weed out the undeserving and those who have been allowed to take advantage of the system .

A lot of people complaining about kids status demotions etc. will be complaining a lot more if option number 1 kicks in .

...If it is a choice between 1 & 2 , I certainly hope option number 2 is explored fully first !!

Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

I have long thought that the current system as it stands is like a pyramid scheme that has to  eventually reach its breaking point.

The frustrating point for me is that DW and I are just reaching Diamond.. the old fashioned way, and are looking forward to the few useful benefits that has to offer . It is clear Royal is currently revamping a lot of services with cost cutting in mind. So it stands to reason they need to take a hard look at changes (or enforcement) to C&A as well . As I see it there 2 logical options 

1) Reduce the benefits for ALL (including of course all the loyal customers who got to their tiers by actually earning it ) or 

2) Reduce the number of beneficiaries by attempting to weed out the undeserving and those who have been allowed to take advantage of the system .

A lot of people complaining about kids status demotions etc. will be complaining a lot more if option number 1 kicks in .

...If it is a choice between 1 & 2 , I certainly hope option number 2 is explored fully first !!

Cheers

I agree with this!! I just became diamond the old fashioned way and hearing these stories of inheriting status drives me nuts. With all the cost cutting, the benefits for crown and anchor are a prime target. I hope if they make changes it is option 2 like you suggest. 

now that you do not need to visit the diamond lounge to use your drink benefit, I don’t see a reason they need to match benefits at all. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Someday has arrived!  Welcome to the future! 

So, you want to slow down the increase in Pinnacles--here' are some ideas--just make all reservations 1 point/night each and not double or tripled.  Sail the repositioning ships empty so that a 15 niter does not accumulate from 15 to 45 points per sail.  There was a poster that marveled that in past the repositioning used to sail at max 35-40% capacity.  Now they are around 70%+.  

With more new and bigger ships, it's creating a larger cruising population which of course generate increase membership in all tiers.  Also, passengers with means can afford the many suite cabins. therefore, reaching the upper tier levels at a quicker pace.

To me, this is win win for the cruise industry especially since they are running at almost 100% capacity.

Ps.  If Royal was really concerned, they should not have had the double points promotions.  Wonder, how many Pinnacles were created during this promotion.

Edited by nelblu

23 hours ago, rrraydon said:

On the Anthem currently.

My daughter was Diamond like I was while she cruised with me as a minor. She is now over 18…25 years old. When we boarded, her card said Diamond. She got a call today in her cabin from the Loyalty Ambassador on the Anthem informing her she can no longer hold Diamond status as she doesn’t have enough points for that on her own. She informed her she will be “demoted” after this cruise is over. 😔

How many points does your daughter have?

7 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

those who have been allowed to take advantage of the system .

Lots of people "take advantage of the system".

People sailing in suites who get an extra point per night.

People sailing solo who get an extra point per night.

People who sailed under the double points promo.

People who live in Florida who can sail on at any time and rack up nights on cheap last minute cruises.

Sure, those people pay, but they're still taking advantage of the points system.  Where would the "weeding out" stop?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KansasK said:

They need to add wording about minor kids sharing parents status during their cruise, but doesn’t make this status permanent. This should be fair enough. Otherwise it’s a status inflation.

Also it’s not completely fair to people who cruised more before reaching 18.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So, you want to slow down the increase in Pinnacles--here' are some ideas--just make all reservations 1 point/night each and not double or tripled.  Sail the repositioning ships empty so that a 15 niter does not accumulate from 15 to 45 points per sail.  There was a poster that marveled that in past the repositioning used to sail at max 35-40% capacity.  Now they are around 70%+.  

With more new and bigger ships, it's creating a larger cruising population which of course generate increase membership in all tiers.  Also, passengers with means can afford the many suite cabins. therefore, reaching the upper tier levels at a quicker pace.

To me, this is win win for the cruise industry especially since they are running at almost 100% capacity.

Ps.  If Royal was really concerned, they should not have had the double points promotions.  Wonder, how many Pinnacles were created during this promotion.

They needed money during pandemic and right after, so they ran double points. 

23 hours ago, MellowMel said:

That stinks for them! 

My kids status is what mine was at the time they turned 18. My daughter kept Diamond status but she has since had enough of her own points to be Diamond on her own. I made it to Diamond + when my son turned 18. He is Diamond on his own but he does get the + perks which makes his older sister mad since she’s 22 and he’s 19 and he gets one more drink than she does and he’s not of legal age. It makes him very happy. 

what type of drink does he get?