embarkation lunch in MDR

Blue and Green

We are looking forward to our first cruise with Celebrity (following many Princess Cruises and a couple NCL). We will be on the Summit and have a boarding time of 12:30-1:00. Since we are in a Concierge Class stateroom, we were hoping to take advantage of lunch in the MDR. On Princess, we always enjoyed  a quiet embarkation lunch in the MDR and avoiding the crowded cafe. However, I thought I read somewhere that the embarkation lunch in the MDR on Celebrity is only available 11:00-1:00. Now, I can't find where I read that, or if it is accurate. Does anyone know if we will be too late for lunch if we don't arrive before 1:00?

I know this is not a big deal, just wanting to plan accordingly.

Lunch is 1130 to 130. but varies on cruise depending on embarkation problems. I would just go to door and they will let you in or not. If you want something private go to sushi on 5. you can get something other than fish. That what we do. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blue and Green said:

We are looking forward to our first cruise with Celebrity (following many Princess Cruises and a couple NCL). We will be on the Summit and have a boarding time of 12:30-1:00. Since we are in a Concierge Class stateroom, we were hoping to take advantage of lunch in the MDR. On Princess, we always enjoyed  a quiet embarkation lunch in the MDR and avoiding the crowded cafe. However, I thought I read somewhere that the embarkation lunch in the MDR on Celebrity is only available 11:00-1:00. Now, I can't find where I read that, or if it is accurate. Does anyone know if we will be too late for lunch if we don't arrive before 1:00?

If you go to the app, under dining, then Loyalty & Suites, the concierge lunch should show. For my next cruise the time is 11:30 - 1:30. 

6F12B48E-F5E8-4849-A281-FBAADB129D67.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JintyGirl said:

If you go to the app, under dining, then Loyalty & Suites, the concierge lunch should show. For my next cruise the time is 11:30 - 1:30. 

6F12B48E-F5E8-4849-A281-FBAADB129D67.png

We leave next Thursday on the Equinox and this is not showing up on the app where you are seeing it.  Hopefully will be updated prior to sail date and that this ship has the Concierge embarkation lunch in the MDR

5 minutes ago, mduffles64 said:

This looks like an older post.  Is it still true that you can only go to the MDR on embarkation day for concierge or higher?  We were hoping to have a relaxing lunch that day and we are in a balcony cabin.

That is still the case. Lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is limited to back to back passengers, Zenith's and those traveling in a Concierge class cabin.  

2 hours ago, mduffles64 said:

This looks like an older post.  Is it still true that you can only go to the MDR on embarkation day for concierge or higher?  We were hoping to have a relaxing lunch that day and we are in a balcony cabin.

An "insider" tip is to have an al la carte lunch at Sushi/Raw, they do serve non-seafood dishes as well.  We aren't huge fans of most of X's food and enjoy eating as many meals as possible on land restaurants including on embarkation day

Besides Zeniths and B2Bs, someone correct me if I'm wrong, AQ is excluded and while suite guests have the option to dine there, like any other meal, you'd be better off going to Luminae over the MDR

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Thanks 1

The lunch for concierge, Zenith and BTB is not listed on app sometimes so do not fret. You might get an email about it and sometimes nothing. X never has good communication with their limited systems when it comes to IT. Not their strong point. App is not end all. Check other hand or ask someone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:11 AM, Blue and Green said:

On our recent cruise, the embarkation lunch may just have been the worst meal we encountered in the 14 day cruise.  IMHO, you won't be missing much.  The rest of the days were much better!

• Haha 1

So the rest of we peons have no choice but to go to the overcrowded buffet? Nice! I am already regretting trying Celebrity. I have gone on 5 other cruise lines and always had an option to avoid the buffet. Even worse is having the dining room and not allowing us in. What about the hot dog place at the pool? Is that open maybe? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

So the rest of we peons have no choice but to go to the overcrowded buffet? Nice! I am already regretting trying Celebrity. I have gone on 5 other cruise lines and always had an option to avoid the buffet. Even worse is having the dining room and not allowing us in. What about the hot dog place at the pool? Is that open maybe? 

I understand those feelings.  We have not sailed Celebrity since the pandemic and was really looking to returning since we really always thought they were (are?) a great cruise line - probably our favorite or close to it.   However, now in hearing/reading about the changes I'm starting to have some doubts about Celebrity.    I'm not a fan of the changes to the classic beverage package option (or lack thereof) and the prices for the packages have really increased.  Having to go to the lunch buffet with all the embarkation crowds is not appealing.  Yes the sushi place is an option - but it is an extra charge.  I believe the Mast Grill will be open - but there is another thread going on that says the food offered there is not great.  

Now that being said - I am looking forward to enjoying myself and keeping an open mind.  

Boarding-day lunch in the Oceanview Cafe is not as bad as it sounds. Because passengers can drop off carry-ons at their staterooms upon boarding, there's less congestion and fewer bags to trip over. People also are not hogging tables waiting for the "Rooms ready" announcement; they eat and depart.

But yes, the Mast Grill is generally open for burgers, hot dogs, and fries.

You could also eat lunch ashore before boarding if you're that opposed to joining folks in the buffet.

• Like 1

We have always enjoyed the burgers at Mast Grill, despite what some have posted. The fries are great All kinds of toppings, even grilled onions and mushroom. There is also a turkey burger which I have never tried. And don't forget the free ice cream in the buffet with usually a short line. If you have OBC to spend, perhaps consider Sushi on 5, which is very reasonably priced a la carte. Much more there than just sushi. My husband who doesn't ordinarily like fish, other than shrimp, loves eating there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

As far as I know this has always been the case with Celebrity.  At least it was when we first started sailing Celebrity since 2016.  It's not a secret that this is how Celebrity's dining is on embarkation day so maybe a little research before booking would have disclosed this fact to you. 

Yes, the Poolside Grill is open 1200 - 1800 on Embarkation day.

An alternatives is to have lunch before you embark and then you do not have to worry about the "over crowded buffet."  

Yet another alternative would have been to have booked a Concierge class room or a Suite.  Then you would have other dining alternatives to you.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

I have sailed with Celebrity since 2017 and we were able to eat in the MDR on embarkation day.  As I stated this is always our POA when we get on board.  

We've been sailing Celebrity since 2013 and the MDR has never been open on embarkation day, other than for Concierge.  Were you Concierge, or in a suite perhaps?

2 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

If you start off thinking that you are a peon, you will look for things to reinforce that. You are not a peon, you’re a passenger on a lovely cruise ship. Not everything will be to your liking, but go into it with an open mind and an expectation of satisfaction rather than looking for things to complain about before you have even boarded

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1