Planning to use the subway with luggage in New York. Is this a good idea?

cruzlover

We are a party of 10 adults sailing on the Meraviglia out of Brooklyn in April.

We are arriving at Penn Station on Amtrak at 3 in the afternoon and planning to take the subway (with 1 suitcase each) to lower Manhattan (Fulton Street stop) to our hotel. Next morning walking to Pier 11 to catch the ferry to Red Hook.

I’m asking if this is as easy as it sounds. Is the subway above or below the trains? Also, can I buy subway tokens for everyone or does each person have to get their own?

Is there a better alternative?

image.jpeg

Edited by cruzlover

Taking Ubers would be a lot easier with luggage. If you take the subway they have not used tokens for 20 years. The switched to fare cards. You can now tap and pay. Tap credit or debit cards work or Apple Pay or Samsung Pay and the wallet app on your phone or watch. 

The trains are below the subway but you will probably exit the train platform and end up above the subway. There is a way to exit the train platforms and end up on the same level as the subway but you probably won’t be directed that way. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I've taken the subway a number of times on work trips with a carry-on - I would not recommend it with anything more than that. And everyone must be able to carry their luggage up and down stairs if needed. If not, either a taxi or Uber would make sense. 

Also, if you do take the subway, remember to push your luggage in front of you through the turnstyle - otherwise it can get caught.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your input. It’s been very helpful. 

I’m now looking into a car service. I think it would be easier for everyone to stay together since I’m kind of guiding the group. Some are not confident travellers.

I sent for a quote from NYC Perfect Transportation based on Trip Advisor reviews. Any other suggestions?

55 minutes ago, cruzlover said:

I’m now looking into a car service. I think it would be easier for everyone to stay together since I’m kind of guiding the group. Some are not confident travellers.

I sent for a quote from NYC Perfect Transportation based on Trip Advisor reviews. Any other suggestions?

I’d just divide up and try to keep a confident traveler in each group, taxi or Uber. Or make sure those less confident get into cars first, it’s really just going from A to B, meet at the hotel.

Subway check to see if the elevators are in service at https://new.mta.info/elevator-escalator-status

Fulton Street the elevators on the SW and NE corners of Dey St and Broadway.

Depending on the time of travel you might be fighting with crowds. Do note 8th Ave 34th St Penn Station the Express Platform for the A train is the center platform with uptown and downtown trains on the same platform. Platforms along the wall are for the local C/E trains. There are different entrances to the platform and taking the A Express ensure you are getting on the downtown train.

Personally, you are on vacation take a Lyft or Uber to Fulton Street Ferry and I ride the subway every day and yes I've even taken the subway from home to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal but that was on a weekend in the morning and I knew there would not be crowding on the subway. 

Carmel and Dial 7 are generally the car services recommended here and on TripAdvisor.  if you are going from the "listings" on TA you are basically looking at ads.  If you are going from the forums I would trust those recommendations

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruzlover said:

Www.Dial7.com. The page has a coupon. 

Thanks again. Uber and Lyft would be great if we knew how to use them 🤣 We don’t even have those services where I live. We are all 70ish and looking for the easiest way to get to the hotel. The quotes I am getting are around $300 so $30 each. Sounds reasonable to me

5 minutes ago, cruzlover said:

Thanks again. Uber and Lyft would be great if we knew how to use them 🤣 We don’t even have those services where I live. We are all 70ish and looking for the easiest way to get to the hotel. The quotes I am getting are around $300 so $30 each. Sounds reasonable to me

Just take a few taxi’s, should be 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, cruzlover said:

The car services charge exorbitant rates for large vehicles going short distances. Generally it would be cheaper to book several smaller cars, or take  @mjkacmom's suggestion of splitting the group up into a few taxis. Three taxis or car service cars at perhaps $35 dollars per vehicle is going to save you a lot of money versus booking a 10 passenger vehicle.

If you feel that a single vehicle is an absolute necessity try carmellimo.com and I think you'll get a price quote of $200 or less .

Edited by njhorseman

21 hours ago, cruzlover said:

We are a party of 10 adults sailing on the Meraviglia out of Brooklyn in April. We are arriving at Penn Station on Amtrak at 3 in the afternoon and planning to take the subway (with 1 suitcase each) to lower Manhattan (Fulton Street stop) to our hotel. * * * I’m asking if this is as easy as it sounds. Is the subway above or below the trains? Also, can I buy subway tokens for everyone or does each person have to get their own?

Yes, it is easy, at least within the general manner of using public transportation. No problem with one suitcase each.

I do not understand what is being asked by the question, "Is the subway above or below the trains?" The subway trains operate in the subway tunnel. If you're asking whether the subway tunnel is above or below the railroad tunnel (used by Amtrak trains), the answer is that the subway tunnel is above the railroad tunnel. The track map below shows the arrangement.

No more tokens. Best to use a contactless credit or debit card, which would be $2.75 per person. Alternatively, buy regular MetroCards, each one usable by up to four persons (the cost is $1.00 for the MetroCard, plus $2.75 fare per person); or buy single ride MetroCards for each person (the cost is 25 cents for the MetroCard, plus $2.75 fare per person).

9 hours ago, cruzlover said:

I’m now looking into a car service. I think it would be easier for everyone to stay together since I’m kind of guiding the group.

It will be more difficult to travel by car service if you want everyone to stay together, since you will not be able to fit 10 people into a single car, at least unless you arrange in advance for a van or similar large vehicle. You may have to squeeze into cars, and not be very comfortable because you won't have much room. Additionally, if you have to arrange for a car service, then you may have to wait for a specific vehicle to arrive, instead of merely heading into the subway when you're ready and travel immediately. If you want to travel together, the subway is best because 10 people can easily travel together in a single subway car. Except under extreme conditions during the rush hour, you will likely have more room and comfort in a subway car, even if standing, than being crowded into a car service.

It is possible that at 3:30 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, when you're likely to be traveling, the subway could start getting a bit crowded. If so, it is likely that the "C" train will be less crowded than the "A" train, since the former is a local while the latter is an express. The difference in travel time between the express and local trains, between Pennsylvania Station and Fulton Street, is minimal.

sq_penn.png

20 hours ago, cruzlover said:

We are all 70ish and looking for the easiest way to get to the hotel.

“Easiest” in the circumstances you describe imho would not include taking the subway. Taxis or a car service would be easiest. You are just going from Penn Station to your hotel. Just know that there will be traffic. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GTJ said:

Yes, it is easy, at least within the general manner of using public transportation. No problem with one suitcase each.

A group of 10 with luggage who are from out of town who are not familiar with the subway or Penn Station are not going to find it easy. Several taxis would be the be the easiest.

• Like 4

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the input.

We’ve definitely decided against the subway idea and are possibly looking at a car service. We can get a limo that will transport everyone together for $300 all in, which is $30 per person. 

If we decide on separate cabs, how easy is it to get a cab from the train station and what would be the approximate cost? I know Uber or Lyft is probably the better option but I’m not really familiar on how to use them

12 minutes ago, cruzlover said:

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the input.

We’ve definitely decided against the subway idea and are possibly looking at a car service. We can get a limo that will transport everyone together for $300 all in, which is $30 per person. 

If we decide on separate cabs, how easy is it to get a cab from the train station and what would be the approximate cost? I know Uber or Lyft is probably the better option but I’m not really familiar on how to use them

Separate cabs should run from $20 to $30 each cab depending on traffic. The taxis are metered so can only estimate. At Penn Station it is easy to get taxis after you find the taxi stand. It can be confusing. If you hire a car service getting orientated will be confusing too as to where they will pick you up. Since you are not familiar with Uber or Lyft now is not the time to learn. My opinion is that separate taxis is the easiest but if you want to stay together in one group, you know the group, then the car service even though it is more expensive. 

1 hour ago, cruzlover said:

If we decide on separate cabs, how easy is it to get a cab from the train station

What you can do to make it easier to get a cab or find your car service at Penn Station is to request Red Cap assistance for your group. The Red Caps will probably even hale the taxis for you at the taxi stand. If you use a car service they can take your group to the pick up location if the drivers don't meet the train. (some might) You can tell your conductor who scans your ticket that you would like Red Cap assistance. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What you can do to make it easier to get a cab or find your car service at Penn Station is to request Red Cap assistance for your group. The Red Caps will probably even hale the taxis for you at the taxi stand.

Good suggestion!  We recently did just that.  The Red Cap took us (and our luggage of course) directly from the train up to the street and to the taxi stand, and got us into a taxi.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You can tell your conductor who scans your ticket that you would like Red Cap assistance.

They will call ahead from the train to the Red Caps at Penn Station, who should meet you on the platform in NY when the train arrives.  If they aren't there, just ask any Red Cap you see to have some Red Caps sent down for you. 

The Red Caps work for tips; they provide a great service.  Please tip generously!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What you can do to make it easier to get a cab or find your car service at Penn Station is to request Red Cap assistance for your group. The Red Caps will probably even hale the taxis for you at the taxi stand. If you use a car service they can take your group to the pick up location if the drivers don't meet the train. (some might) You can tell your conductor who scans your ticket that you would like Red Cap assistance. 

I'll second (or third) this. And I'd do it even if I were getting a car service! Moynihan Train Hall (where your Amtrak train will arrive) is much cleaner and neater than the old Penn Station, but it can still be confusing getting out to a taxi. And the last times I've been through there, admittedly late last year, cabs were not as common as in the past along 7th Ave. Uber was much simpler.

And for the record, no way on earth I'd take a group of folks who'd never ridden the subway in NYC on a Brooklyn bound train at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, even a simple ride Downtown. Just not gonna do it...

Edited by markeb

On 4/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, Turtles06 said:

Good suggestion!  We recently did just that.  The Red Cap took us (and our luggage of course) directly from the train up to the street and to the taxi stand, and got us into a taxi.  

They will call ahead from the train to the Red Caps at Penn Station, who should meet you on the platform in NY when the train arrives.  If they aren't there, just ask any Red Cap you see to have some Red Caps sent down for you. 

The Red Caps work for tips; they provide a great service.  Please tip generously!

Here is some more information on Red Caps: https://www.amtrak.com/amtrak-red-cap-baggage-assistance#:~:text=– Our Red Cap service is,if you'd like!)

Also, they are Amtrak employees, so tips aren't required, although I think many people do tip them.

45 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

Here is some more information on Red Caps: https://www.amtrak.com/amtrak-red-cap-baggage-assistance#:~:text=– Our Red Cap service is,if you'd like!)

Also, they are Amtrak employees, so tips aren't required, although I think many people do tip them.

Tips are never required, but I don't know anyone who does not tip them. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on Red Caps. We used them before to get on the train. They take you down before everyone and look after the luggage as well. There were 4 of us and we tipped him $20. 

Leaning more towards cabs with the help of Red Caps. 

Love these boards!