Changing Planes at Sydney Airport

Looking for recommendations on minimum time between international arrivals and connecting domestic flight.  We'll be arriving on a QANTAS flight from LAX and then connecting on to a Jetstar (probably) flight to Cairns.  What's a recommended minimum time between scheduled arrival time and scheduled domestic departure? 

Appreciate any help or suggestions,

Greg

From my research you will need to clear customs and immigration in Sydney, upon arrival, and then transfer to Qantas domestic terminal 3 or Jetstar/Virgin Australia terminal 2.

Qantas to Qantas domestic, your bags should be check to your final destination, however I am not sure if you can interline (check your bags through) if travelling on Jetstar or Virgin Australia. There is an airside bus that can take you to the domestic terminals or you could catch a taxi or train. I would suggest a minimum of 2 hours for Qantas to Qantas and maybe an extra 30 minutes to 1 hour if travelling on Jetstar or Virgin Australia.

• Thanks 1

I have a feeling you may have to collect your bag for "border control inspection", but can then bag drop it (if it has been checked through) before getting the inter terminal shuttle. My experience was from several years ago so things may have changed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

I have a feeling you may have to collect your bag for "border control inspection", but can then bag drop it (if it has been checked through) before getting the inter terminal shuttle. My experience was from several years ago so things may have changed.

I expect to have to pick up bags to go thru Customs and Border Control.  It would be nice though if we could check our bags through to Cairns and just clear customs, drop bags off and go catch the shuttle with just our carry ons.

It is your first arrival in Australia, so you have to do customs and quarantine checks in Sydney, so that includes your luggage.  You won't be able to check the bags through to Cairns and skip the border control, of course.

Sydney airport is not the easiest place to change from International to Domestic terminals. They are far apart and you cannot walk between them, so it's a bus or a train or a taxi. I'd allow three hours.

The amount of time you need also depends on whether the flights are ticketed together. If you bought them separately, then the first airline has no responsibility for getting you on your second leg.  If the incoming flight is delayed, you may miss with a shorter connection time. In that case, you would need to pay for a new ticket SYD - CNS.  It won't be cheap at the last minute.  If it is all ticketed in one, then the airline will put you on the next available flight at no extra charge.

• Thanks 1

Coming in from International while you can check bags through to final destination sometimes, you will still have to collect them in Sydney for inspection and border control, then rebook them onto the next flight. Then you have to get to the domestic terminal. If your flights are on the one ticket and you happen to miss the flight then likely they will put you on the next one. If they are on separate tickets and you miss the flight then it will be at your cost. I prefer three hours in Sydney.  I know that Qantas has bag drop on the international side but don't know about Jetstar. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

From our experience last year when our flight was delayed, we were ticketed onto the next available QA flight which in our instance was hours later.   I would suggest giving yourself a three hour transfer time.

Helen

• Thanks 1

From what you posted it sounds like you are looking at 2 separate bookings. This can be problematic if the incoming flight is delayed. We often do separate domestic/international bookings but where possible have an overnight before any onward flight. Is is possible for you to stay overnight at the airport in Sydney and fly to Cairns the next day? 

The T-Bus is the airport's shuttle bus service between the International and Domestic terminals. The service currently operates every 30 minutes and takes approximately 10 minutes.

You would be eligible for the Qantas transfer bus but as QF can't check you in if you are flying JQ I am not sure they will allow baggage drop.

The train can be pretty efficient - well labelled and frequent services. Just follow the signs at international arrivals.

Whilst it might be fine, I am loathe to book anything Jetstar as they have had a very high cancellation rate.

Just the other week, my brother was on JQ from Brisbane to Melb connecting to JQ to Singapore to then taking a SQ flight to Cape Town. Advised in Melb that JQ had been cancelled and they were moved to the next day which would've meant they missed the Singapore flight to Cape Town. He ended up paying for a one way flight to Singapore on SQ. Lucky he did as the JQ flight was cancelled again. 

I can't count how many times he has had JQ flights cancelled (and I keep telling him, don't book on Jetstar!).

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My son and family were due to fly Syd to Bali today. Last night they got a message from Jetstar..cancelled flight, now fly tomorrow Syd, Melb, Bali. .

Hope the flight still goes ahead for them. Must be very disappointing.

Would also agree to booking with qantas if your inward flight is with them. If possible see if they will link the two flights.   Allow about 3 hours between flights.  If you cant use the qantas transfer, there is an airport transfer bus just outside the international airport.  Very efficient and no problems to take luggage with you.  We quite often have inward flight with Qantas and then transfer to connect to Perth flight (booked on the same ticket)  If we are departing Australia, we prefer to fly Perth to Sydney the day prior to the international flight.  Then we stay at the Rydges just across the road from the international terminal.  Thats me just being stressed and not trusting an airline at the beginning of my holiday to have me connecting smoothly - on the return I dont really worry if I miss my flight and have to stay overnight.

Also be aware of the vastly different baggage allowances between Qantas & Jetstar. For a start checked and carry on baggage is included with a Qantas fare. With Jetstar you will have to pay for checked baggage and the limits are lower than Qantas. The carry on with Qantas from LAX is 10kg, Jetstar is 7kg, they may ask you to remove items or check it at an exorbitant cost.

I would choose another airline to fly to Cairns. Don't be fooled by price. You get what you pay for.

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with Aussieflyer's comments regarding Jetstar. Maybe it should be called 'One star' or 'No star'. I would definitely pay a bit more and book with QANTAS. As a second option, Virgin isn't too bad.

Or from the Star Wars fan in my family - Death Star.

• Haha 1

From the reading we've done, Jetstar does not seem like a good choice even with the lower prices. Last minute cancellation seems to be a common complaint. Good info.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 2:24 AM, JJK2008 said:

From the reading we've done, Jetstar does not seem like a good choice even with the lower prices. Last minute cancellation seems to be a common complaint. Good info.

Yes avoid Jetstar.  Two friends on different Qantas/Jetstar flights were offloaded recently to Virgin flights. Seems Qantas has arrangement with Virgin.  Both were quick off the mark and got suitable seats on Virgin which were limited!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with Aussieflyer's comments regarding Jetstar. Maybe it should be called 'One star' or 'No star'. I would definitely pay a bit more and book with QANTAS. As a second option, Virgin isn't too bad.

That’s why they have one star painted on the tail😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1