How often does Celebrity change details of an excursion? Or move you to a different but similar excursion?

zitsky

So we have a tour on Santorini (Celebrity tour).  And I'm 90% sure they changed it.  Price is different, name is different.  Details are similar but not exact I think.  My mistake is, I didn't print the ENTIRE page for EVERY excursion.  I took some basic notes.  Now this is not the end of the world, but I find it interesting.  Oh I know what you're going to say "you signed a contract and they can change ANYTHING".  Well you don't have to lecture me because I had ONE semester of contract law in graduate school.  I'm just asking how often they do this?

If something changes that impacts the tourthen they change the tour and description.  Things like a site is closed on the day your ship is there, renovation to a site, a stop for food, rest rooms, shopping needs to be changed are among the reasons a tour could be changed and yes it happens.  

15 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

As often as they need to.

seriously, it happens.  And sometimes you don’t find out until the day before your excursion.

Or at the dock. Or on the bus. Stuff happens. Seas are too rough to snorkel. Seaweed washing up all over the beach. Lots of reasons. 

20 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Doubting Celebrity ever changes excursion details---more likely the entities they contract with.

That may be the case but I don’t care.  Celebrity sold this to me not the entity.  They changed this one excursion and completely ruined my vacation, I mean wedding, I mean class reunion.  😭😭😭

They do change prices as demand changes.  If price goes down you can cancel and rebook.  Probably not a great idea if price goes up.  Sometimes when they change vendors they cancel your excursion and then you get to rebuy at new price.  If you want you can cancel and pay the new higher price. 

Regardless of old description you likely are on the new tour.  Assume you used the link in your Order History and it changed.

19 minutes ago, LeeW said:

They do change prices as demand changes.  If price goes down you can cancel and rebook.  Probably not a great idea if price goes up.  Sometimes when they change vendors they cancel your excursion and then you get to rebuy at new price.  If you want you can cancel and pay the new higher price. 

Regardless of old description you likely are on the new tour.  Assume you used the link in your Order History and it changed.

The name is slightly different.  The price is very different.  New price is higher.  Description seems similar but maybe not exactly the same.  Next time I’ll save more info in case this happens again.  Is this the end of the world?  Well maybe not.

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well I have the numbers.  I paid something like $160 for two people and now it’s $220.  So maybe you’re right.

So you booked and paid for a tour for around $160 for two?  Typically when X needs to cancel a tour it just does so without warning; they'll send you an email and a full refund

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

So you booked and paid for a tour for around $160 for two?  Typically when X needs to cancel a tour it just does so without warning; they'll send you an email and a full refund

Email and a refund…. Sounds like a warning to me?

This one has my attention because I booked it last year then Celebrity CANCELED my cruise after they admitted putting my final payment into the wrong account,  It was rebooked but I had to rebook all excursions.  This one was full but I managed to get into it by reminding Celebrity that it was already booked.

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Email and a refund…. Sounds like a warning to me?

This one has my attention because I booked it last year then Celebrity CANCELED my cruise after they admitted putting my final payment into the wrong account,  It was rebooked but I had to rebook all excursions.  This one was full but I managed to get into it by reminding Celebrity that it was already booked.

Since once you receive the email it's already cancelled, I don't consider that a warning.  Glad you were able to get something booked

10 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Guess what?  Doesn't matter!  Read the T&C you agreed to.  Celebrity was the agent for the entity.

Is your answer to everything “Read the T&C”?  Do you read the terms and conditions when you order a hamburger?  Fill up your gas tank?

You don’t need to lecture me.  I know exactly what a contract is.

33 minutes ago, jwlane said:

No, but then I don't complain or expect sympathy when I fail to do so.

Wow!  Making a comment or asking a question about an altered activity is considered complaining now?  Do you think this is the biggest thing I worry about?  I noticed a change in my schedule and I asked about it.  Thanks for your input.  🙄

They changed some detail of the tour, raised the price and changed the name.  You are still booked at the original price and won’t be asked to pay more.  If whatever they changed doesn’t suit you cancel and get the refund.  No problem  changes happen quite often can we have not had any changes that space any real difference in the tour.

We have had more changes in the last couple of years than before. I think a lot of that has to do with the difficulties tour operators are having. One tour operator in Mexico told us that they lost pretty much everything in the time that operations ceased due to the pandemic. Staff left, places they stopped at shut down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how often excursions are changed, however I do know that last year in April in the Caribbean we had quite a number of changes. It was mostly due to the return to cruising and many tour operators lacking employees and boats. (Hard to go on a catamaran trip without a catamaran lol) We also had one morning tour that was changed to the afternoon, then outright cancelled and subsequently rescheduled for the original morning time.  Didn't bother us at that time as we were simply happy to be back to travelling and in a warm and sunny climate to boot.  

I hope you have a wonderful time in Santorini.  We were there in October and had a great tour which included a lunch where we were taught some traditional Greek dancing and got to break some plates too which was a lot of fun 🙂 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

So we have a tour on Santorini (Celebrity tour).  And I'm 90% sure they changed it.  Price is different, name is different.  Details are similar but not exact I think.  My mistake is, I didn't print the ENTIRE page for EVERY excursion.  I took some basic notes.  Now this is not the end of the world, but I find it interesting.  Oh I know what you're going to say "you signed a contract and they can change ANYTHING".  Well you don't have to lecture me because I had ONE semester of contract law in graduate school.  I'm just asking how often they do this?

Anytime a booked excursion has changed. I've received an email notification of the change. What was the change? 

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

We don't buy shorex directly from Celebrity very often. However during our last cruise (Constellation, Oct/Nov 2022) the only excursion that we bought from Celebrity did undergo a name change although I the essence of the tour didn't change. It was a sail and snorkel trip at Nassau. 

We also purchased an advanced snorkelling excursion at Mystery Island from Celebrity for our April 2025 Transpacific cruise. Last week we were notified by email that it has been cancelled because of problems with the tour operator, so we will book the discovery snorkel excursion at Mystery Island instead. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Anytime a booked excursion has changed. I've received an email notification of the change. What was the change? 

I’ve answered this question previously.

Price

Name

Maybe some of the description 

I’m simply asking if this is common.  Next time I’ll save a copy of the page.  I knew right away something had changed.