Premium Club Class mini-suite - what does it mean?

dreamboat43

Usually it is a Mini-Suite in the center of the ship with the benefits of Club Class.  This includes sitting at a private area in the main dining room, usually not having to wait to be seated, and usually having one special dish prepared by the Maitre'd.  

Bit similar to Aqua Class in Celebrity. 

And priority boarding as well.  On the Royal Class ships, because of the mid-ship location, many of the cabins have extended balconies which can be nice given the size of standard balconies on Royal Class ships. Otherwise the interior space of the cabins is identical to that of regular Mini-Suites.   

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

Usually it is a Mini-Suite in the center of the ship with the benefits of Club Class.  This includes sitting at a private area in the main dining room, usually not having to wait to be seated, and usually having one special dish prepared by the Maitre'd.  

Bit similar to Aqua Class in Celebrity. 

Actually, not similar at all to Blu Restaurant, which is open to only Aqua Class cabins.  Blu is a separate restaurant, unique menu not available in the MDR and with a dedicated wait staff.  More on the line of a specialty restaurant, but only available to Aqua Class guests.  Club Class is an elevated MDR experience using the same kitchen and menu.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

With Princess' new terminology Club Class mini suites are now called Reserve Collection mini suites. The word "premium" is no longer used. There are a few differences in amenities from regular mini suites with the main difference being the Club Class dining. 

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

With Princess' new terminology Club Class mini suites are now called Reserve Collection mini suites. The word "premium" is no longer used. There are a few differences in amenities from regular mini suites with the main difference being the Club Class dining. 

Princess had the chance to remove 'suite' from these 'mini's - and chose not to ...

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, not similar at all to Blu Restaurant, which is open to only Aqua Class cabins.  Blu is a separate restaurant, unique menu not available in the MDR and with a dedicated wait staff.  More on the line of a specialty restaurant, but only available to Aqua Class guests.  Club Class is an elevated MDR experience using the same kitchen and menu.

Same menu but with a extra entree each evening. I have sailed club class at least 10 times and it has always been an entree not appetizer or salad 

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Have to disagree.  We have traveled with Blu and indeed, while  there are some differences, there are  more similarities.  Separate dining room (which Princess is moving too) compared to eating in a separate section of the main dining room.  Different menu compared to one special dish on the main menu with Club Class.  

But no or little wait for seating with either Blu or Club Class.   Greater choice and variety of dishes with Princess Club Class then with Blu.  In addition with Club Class you  get a larger cabin, centrally placed compared to Aqua Class.  

We recently were on Blu on Celebrity Reflection and for the first time no impressed.  

Would go with Club Class on Princess. 

37 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess had the chance to remove 'suite' from these 'mini's - and chose not to ...

They also had the chance to remove "mini" from these cabins, and chose not to...

I have always thought that the cabins were neither "mini" (as they are larger than every other cabin that isn't a suite) nor are they "suites" (in that they do not have the privileges or amenities.)  An entirely new term is in order. But the brain trust is too busy trying to figure out the architecture and structural stability limits of its Premium Desserts.  

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

They also had the chance to remove "mini" from these cabins, and chose not to...

I have always thought that the cabins were neither "mini" (as they are larger than every other cabin that isn't a suite) nor are they "suites" (in that they do not have the privileges or amenities.)  An entirely new term is in order. But the brain trust is too busy trying to figure out the architecture and structural stability limits of its Premium Desserts.  

Why not call them "lounge cabins" ? 

46 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Have to disagree.  We have traveled with Blu and indeed, while  there are some differences, there are  more similarities.  Separate dining room (which Princess is moving too) compared to eating in a separate section of the main dining room.  Different menu compared to one special dish on the main menu with Club Class.  

But no or little wait for seating with either Blu or Club Class.   Greater choice and variety of dishes with Princess Club Class then with Blu.  In addition with Club Class you  get a larger cabin, centrally placed compared to Aqua Class.  

We recently were on Blu on Celebrity Reflection and for the first time no impressed.  

Would go with Club Class on Princess. 

Respectfully disagree as far as dining experience.  Blu is a specialty restaurant limited to Aqua Class passengers.  Far superior to the Club Class MDR menu plus the one additional plate.  The food is exactly the same in MDR and Club Class.  Yes, Club Class are Mini Suites and Aqua Class are standard balconies.  Service is equal.  However, Celebrity as a whole is a step above any Princess ship.  IMHO.  On Princess, we book standard mini suites and dine mostly in the Specialty Restaurants, which is a notch above Club Class but less expensive.  It’s all a matter of taste and preferences.  To each their own.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Same menu but with an extra entree each evening. I have sailed club class at least 10 times and it has always been an entree not appetizer or salad 

I assumed it must be an extra special entree since it’s so costly to book Club Class.  If it were just a salad or appetizer then who would book it?

23 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I assumed it must be an extra special entree since it’s so costly to book Club Class.  If it were just a salad or appetizer then who would book it?

Some are very good some are just so so. But again never waited more than 2 minutes to be seated with great service. Personally we opt for full suites rather than the mini’s can’t deal with the bathtub

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, memoak said:

Some are very good some are just so so. But again never waited more than 2 minutes to be seated with great service. Personally we opt for full suites rather than the mini’s can’t deal with the bathtub

Totally agree with you!  Princess bathrooms are, for the most part, like what you would expect in a motel.  Those shower curtains…….yuck!

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Respectfully disagree as far as dining experience.  Blu is a specialty restaurant limited to Aqua Class passengers.  Far superior to the Club Class MDR menu plus the one additional plate.  The food is exactly the same in MDR and Club Class.  Yes, Club Class are Mini Suites and Aqua Class are standard balconies.  Service is equal.  However, Celebrity as a whole is a step above any Princess ship.  IMHO.  On Princess, we book standard mini suites and dine mostly in the Specialty Restaurants, which is a notch above Club Class but less expensive.  It’s all a matter of taste and preferences.  To each their own.

Have to disagree with you again my friend.  Have sailed many times on both Princess and Celebrity.  Yes there are differences, but they are actually more alike than different.  

Yes there are some differences in respect to Club Class as compared to Aqua Class, but they are, actually more alike than different.

In the past, I would have given a slight edge by a nose to Aqua Class, but after sailing on Discovery Princess in July and Celebrity Reflection in December, I would now give the edge to Club Class on Princess.

I found the dining room on Aqua Class to be very crowded.  Portions were quite small and variety was quite limited.  Much more variety in the main dining room, and in fact, at times even though we were in Blu we did request to order from the Main Dining Room menu.  

In respect to rooms I do feel that the Mini-Suite has it all over the Aqua Class rooms on Reflection.  

I do feel that the "Edge Class" is a step above or evolution in regard to Celebrity but heard a lot of complaints that their is no true balcony.

In addition, with the new Sphere Class Ships Princess will now upgrade Club Class to the Reserve Collection of Mini-suites which by description will be superior to Aqua Class. 

8 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Have to disagree with you again my friend.  Have sailed many times on both Princess and Celebrity.  Yes there are differences, but they are actually more alike than different.  

Yes there are some differences in respect to Club Class as compared to Aqua Class, but they are, actually more alike than different.

In the past, I would have given a slight edge by a nose to Aqua Class, but after sailing on Discovery Princess in July and Celebrity Reflection in December, I would now give the edge to Club Class on Princess.

I found the dining room on Aqua Class to be very crowded.  Portions were quite small and variety was quite limited.  Much more variety in the main dining room, and in fact, at times even though we were in Blu we did request to order from the Main Dining Room menu.  

In respect to rooms I do feel that the Mini-Suite has it all over the Aqua Class rooms on Reflection.  

I do feel that the "Edge Class" is a step above or evolution in regard to Celebrity but heard a lot of complaints that their is no true balcony.

In addition, with the new Sphere Class Ships Princess will now upgrade Club Class to the Reserve Collection of Mini-suites which by description will be superior to Aqua Class. 

Totally respect your opinion, which actually is not that far from mine.  It really boils down to individual tastes and comfort.  What works beautifully for one is an abomination to another.  We’re all so lucky to be able to do this cruise thing, regardless of what line or ship we prefer.  Whatever floats your boat! (yeah, I know, pretty corny).

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

Service is far superior in Club Class then the regular main dining room.  You are seated immediately or allowed to seat yourself immediately where you like.  No waiting in lines.   It is always an inviting atmosphere with staff knowing your name and you very well and a Maitre'd is assigned to Club Class too.  It seems like you 

never feel rushed in Club Class and it is easy to eat and go to an event or show on time.

Because the wait staff has less passengers to wait on they seem less stressed, hurried and more present then the wait staff in the MDR's.   There are always featured dishes that are usually prepared in the Club Class section.  

Also, breakfast and lunch when served are much more personable then in the general MDR.  We have found that usually whatever you request even if not on the menu, Eggs Benedict ie., they will make an effort to accommodate.

The locations of the Club Class cabins are in very desirable areas of the ship and there are perks that come with them that are not offered in the regular minis.

It is definitely worth the extra cost in our opinion.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Jr. Suite or Mini-suite is actually the best term for these types of cabins or hotel rooms. They are room descriptors, not amenity descriptors. A suite should have a living area separated from the bedroom area by a physical barrier. A standard room typically does not have a separate living area, but may have some seating.  A Jr .suite or Mini-suite has a separate living area not separated by a physical barrier. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Jr. Suite or Mini-suite is actually the best term for these types of cabins or hotel rooms. They are room descriptors, not amenity descriptors. A suite should have a living area separated from the bedroom area by a physical barrier. A standard room typically does not have a separate living area, but may have some seating.  A Jr .suite or Mini-suite has a separate living area not separated by a physical barrier. 

I agree with that.  I'd much prefer the term "Junior Suite" as that seems to be fairly uniform in the hospitality industry.

The two associated problems are: First, Deluxe Balconies also have a separate "living area" if one want to call a love seat a living area.  They don't have the second TV, so maybe that is a differentiating factor.  Second, Princess does offer certain amenities to "Suites" such as early boarding and a Concierge Lounge.  While I can appreciate your conclusion that the term "Suite" is not an amenity descriptor, that only holds true on land.  Hotels certainly do not use the term as an amenity descriptor and instead use it as a square footage descriptor. But Princess broke that rule and we are stuck with it.  Princess definitely uses the term as an amenity descriptor and is left having to use an asterisk to make clear that Mini-Suites are outside of the circle. 

52 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But Princess broke that rule and we are stuck with it.  Princess definitely uses the term as an amenity descriptor and is left having to use an asterisk to make clear that Mini-Suites are outside of the circle. 

Not just Princess. RCI went the same way. Back in the pre 2000 builds (pre Oasis class maybe) there really was not much in the way of additional amenities with suites, so it really was a room size descriptor. RCI has 3-4 suite classes now on their post Oasis new builds, with varying amenities. Jr. Suites there are pretty much in line with mini-suites on Princess. And then there is MSC. From what I understand about them, you can have insides with full "yacht club" amenities and full size suites without them. I guess because most of my sailings have been in a mix of balconies and JR/Mini suites (never have sailed in a "full" suite, too much money for my budget), I know what to expect size (40+ square feet larger than a balcony) and amenity (priority boarding)  wise from them. 

Aqua vs Club Class, no one seems to have mentioned the "thermal spa" (or whatever it is called) perk that Celebrity includes.  Princess has nothing comparable.  

In Jan 2023, on a Princess cruise (mini-suite, not Club Class), a waitress in the MDR remembered us from when she served us in Club Class in March 2022.  How many hundreds of passengers had she waited on since then?  But in Club Class, she got to know us well enough to remember us 9 months later!  Club Class service is as good as Blu's service.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 12:00 AM, Lady Arwen said:

Much discussion was on the Celebrity boards when Aqua Class was originally introduced. The concensus was, at that time, that X wanted to fill the undesirable cabins under the pool deck and by adding the spa amenities and a separate dining room to those regular balconies, pax would feel special and book those cabins, Blu has always been very ‘tight’ for seating (I’m referring to the older ships); you could virtually touch the person’s knee on the next table while eating your dinner! Saying that, it worked perfectly for X and is still a major success for them. A little like what they have done with the undesirable cabins on Edge class ships behind the Magic Carpet: made them into the lowest class of suites in order to entice pax to book them for the Retreat perks. It works for them.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 2

We’ve dined in Blu a few of times, mostly on Edge class.  It’s nice and certainly a step above the MDR.  Celebrity guests love it!  They book as far in advance as possible to get those cabins.  We’ve also stayed in the traditional balconies on deck six by Eden and it was lovely, but folks do love the suites near the Magic Carpet, which is in itself a brilliant can concept.

Celebrity knows what their guests want and they deliver in spades.