Beyond LIVE Solo Retreat Review (4/9/23): A One-Woman Suite Show

GenerationX

58 minutes ago, Mcgeneseo said:

Ahhh, stone crabs at 15th Street Fisheries! Such memories! I went to law school in Ft Lauderdale and at the time, the law school was located near that area. I spent many hours enjoying 15th Street. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to ship stone crabs to me in western NY and make my mortgage payment....enjoy and have a claw or two for me.

Oh I wish I’d had the foresight to go to law school in south Florida.  That would’ve made the whole experience slightly less unpleasant!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Enjoying your review. I really want to sail solo as I’m retired but DH is still working (to pay for all those cruises) so I have lots more time to travel! Only thing holding me back is paying double ….

Don’t mean to hijack the thread…I have done three cruises since the restart with four more scheduled.  With the deals that Celebrity has been offering, the cost is doable.  No more “double the price” for a solo… Although I don’t have a husband to convince to let me sail.  😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Oh I wish I’d had the foresight to go to law school in south Florida.  That would’ve made the whole experience slightly less unpleasant!

It did help!  My grades weren't great (hard to study on the beach with all that sand!!) but I passed the Florida bar exam and the NY exam a few years later.  That's all that matters.  Have a great cruise, I'm so jealous!

• Like 2

Woo Hoo! We are onboard. “Quick” 3 hour ride from Orlando this morning, got to the garage at the port around 10:35, whisked up to Retreat check in, ship was ready, on we went, grabbed SeaPass cards, and now

image.jpg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 11

Charla your getting me excited.   We fly to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday and finally the reality is kicking in.    Suite cases out but for some reason they aren't packing their selves.   Thought we might see each other but we leave on the 15th and you aren't back until the 16th.  

Loving following along.

• Like 3

Hello from Beyond!

I’ve only been onboard for two and a half hours and this cruise is already such a vastly different vibe from last November.

A big part of that is likely due to ship capacity.  The guest count I’ve heard is approximately 2500 which I believe would make the ship about 2/3 full.  Much different from my previous sold out sailing.  The crew seems relaxed and well into their groove and I’m seeing sooo much less of the deer in the headlights looks on their faces.

Of course thanks to move up bids aqua and suites are sold out.

This is my first time in the upgraded Beyond retreat and my first impression is that after 2 ships Celebrity finally got the pool deck space right.  There’s so much more seating and shady spots. I love these cute social lounge spaces with their own umbrella facing towards the sea.  I’m already picturing myself a few days in sitting there chatting and laughing with new cruise friends.

I got to the port at 10:45 and looked at my phone when I stepped onboard and it was 10:57.  Less than 15 minutes from curb to deck!

For those boarding from T25, there are signs to help as well but just remember stay to the left for retreat boarding. 

There’s a separate retreat entrance to the left as you enter the terminal where an attendant will check your name and stateroom number, then retreat guests take an elevator on the left to get to the Retreat security check and check in area.  If you find yourself about to get on an escalator, you’ve missed your entrance. Back track and head towards the left.  

I just met a couple on who missed the retreat check in and, get this, when they got to the general boarding area and got through security there, the port employees told them they had to go all the way back downstairs to go through the retreat area (so they basically went through security and check in twice). 🤦🏾‍♀️

As I was exploring the retreat pool deck I was greeted at least 5 times by friendly, smiling faces in grey polos introducing themselves, welcoming me onboard, offering me a beverage and letting me know that if I’m ever having trouble finding a place to sit on the deck to seek them out and they’ll help me right away.

It may be the embarkation kir royale setting in, but I’m already ruminating on upgrading Jeremy and I’s October cruise to the Retreat.  

When I texted him to float the idea, he threatened to ban me from sailing E class by myself going forward because “every time you get on THOSE ships you end up texting me about wanting to do something that’s going to cost thousands of dollars”.   I was preparing to vehemently object when I scrolled back through our text history and realized that the man is not wrong [d’oh].

I’ve just sat down for a late lunch at Luminae.  It looks like on this cruise the Luminae lunch hours were expanded to run from 11:30-1:30 instead of starting at noon. Perhaps to accommodate the sold out suites?

The restaurant looks like it’s almost twice the size of Luminae on Edge and Apex and there seem to be many more areas conducive to seating larger groups.

Sharing some first pics of Beyond and the Captains Club event schedule below.

Not sure if it’s because I leveled up to Elite Plus or Celebrity is just upping their loyalty event game, but this is the most activities I’ve seen on a Captain’s Club schedule.

Welcome aboard my virtual cruise companions! 

005DF9C6-0AFA-497B-8289-B9383FCEF976.thumb.jpeg.4d3273c12c8ef9d947e4e7df1dd74729.jpeg

FF067998-9480-41E9-BC47-CDAE5378105C.thumb.jpeg.c839260d29d3ce5cbb262b0de39aa2a4.jpeg

73C1FD01-9BE4-4C10-A769-95926BBC4A58.thumb.jpeg.0e2a02f8dc1a9685c04f6f3ead4a84ee.jpeg

1F5A6486-1B89-41D2-8CFB-D8A8EF526364.thumb.jpeg.62eb2c1f75b9bf037d32d7774628dd67.jpeg

99B1A033-7C5F-4D92-B32D-3F715A1BF1D4.thumb.jpeg.2d1fef97b3fc7e5bfe54ce2d78a1bc6c.jpeg

0083DD9F-9E77-4610-8817-0514EA9C5E8E.thumb.jpeg.296f35645dfcee50c08cfccbd35d8c68.jpeg

21EE854F-EA63-42EA-8F76-87B8E9DC8FF0.thumb.jpeg.b063f46f0879f3c58a8864b35b7a7e16.jpeg

41E92A75-181B-419A-9C8F-D926BD5C7D14.thumb.jpeg.0429a5068c2a48f9ae87281beb931058.jpeg

8EF6B00E-1F81-4F03-AA3F-DC578AC74321.thumb.jpeg.1dd422ec563bf35218d5a3a527e51a3c.jpeg

• Like 19

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Don’t mean to hijack the thread…I have done three cruises since the restart with four more scheduled.  With the deals that Celebrity has been offering, the cost is doable.  No more “double the price” for a solo… Although I don’t have a husband to convince to let me sail.  😉

Cool. Mind me asking where you find the deals (without naming names😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, librarylady19 said:

Cool. Mind me asking where you find the deals (without naming names😀

I see prices on the Celebrity website…pick an itinerary, sailing date and cabin to get an idea of price.  Then I ask my TA to confirm the info and make the deposit. The current deal is 75% off the second guest…I’m all over that.  I keep thinking that the most recent deal should be ending soon so booked out to December, 2024.  In addition, you earn double Captain’s Club points when you sail solo.

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Charla your getting me excited.   We fly to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday and finally the reality is kicking in.    Suite cases out but for some reason they aren't packing their selves.   Thought we might see each other but we leave on the 15th and you aren't back until the 16th.  

Loving following along.

Where is that darn butler to pack? Will be looking for your review!

Laura

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Have you met the maitre d Petro (not sure of spelling ) and Tom Cruise (Milos) yet ?

We did meet Petre in Luminae this afternoon. He remembered us from January when we had a great conversation with him in Le Grand Bistro. Very nice and personable. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

We did a B2B the last week of Feb and the first week of March.  We sat in the forward section of Luminea and Adash was our waiter.  He took great care of us, shared great stories and we are still talking about his incredible service.  If you see him, tell him Les and Chris say Hi!  

9 hours ago, lola2013 said:

My solution to the whole convincing the better half to let me sail thing has kind of been “it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission”. But that’s probably why I’m a lawyer not a marriage counselor. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Good Evening from Eden!

I’m all dressed for dinner and enjoying a music set from our acoustic duo.

While I sip my pre-dinner beverage, a report on my day onboard so far.

When I got to lunch at Luminae a little after 1pm the restaurant was still pretty busy, but I was seated quickly and got great service.

I was happy to see the manager Petre who was our awesome Eden manager when we were on the ship in November.  He remembered me and asked about Red and told me that this fall he’ll be transitioning to Ascent.

As I was waiting for my food I connected my phone to ship wifi and saw that in addition to my 2 devices of free premium wifi for suites, there was also an option of 4 hours of free internet for elite plus loyalty.

For lunch I had the chicken consumme to start followed by the herb crusted chicken and mushroom and potato ravioli then the coffee panna cotta for dessert.

Nothing I ate was bad, but none of it really impressed me either. Not a big deal though as I was saving my real calories for Eden tonight anyway.  First night dinner in Eden is an E class sailing tradition for me.  I always book it online in advance right after I book the cruise.  

Which reminds me, if you’re interested in specialty dining on this ship, don’t delay on booking.  I’ve heard people in the retreat lounge who waited till they got onboard today and were only offered 5:30 or 9pm dinner times (and that’s with a 1/3 empty ship).  For Jeremy and I’s October Beyond cruise, I went online last week to book our Eden and Le Voyage dinners and for Le Voyage on both sea days only 8:45 and 9pm were left as pre-booking options. And that cruise is still 6 months out!

After dinner I met up in the Retreat with some of the CC crew who had also jumped on the sweet suite pricing for this cruise.  Our “quick meet up” ended up lasting over 2 hours including sail away and a front row seat for the local pilot stunt show and it was all time well spent.  Seriously these folks are all awesome and so much fun.  Beyond is not ready for us this week. (tagging some of the cool kids here: @mac_tlc @Silkroad @KKB @Mrs_Tiki ).

When I finally pulled myself away from all the laughter and peaches and bourbon cocktails, I went back to my room and found all my luggage delivered.

I’d been inside for about 5 minutes when my butler Elaine arrived to introduce herself and made an excellent first impression.  She looked at my 3 massive suitcases (no judgment please) and asked if I needed any assistance unpacking.  That offer was a first for me in any suite of any class, but I declined. I got myself into this overpacking mess, I’ll get myself out.

She then asked if there were any different beverages I’d like for my complimentary mini bar. I told her I was fine with Heineken and corona for beer but asked to have the Diet Coke switched to Sprite.

I also asked her about pressing for my evening chic night dress and she said if I left it on the bed she’d grab it at turndown and have it back to me tomorrow.

She also asked if I’d like any snacks delivered to the room in the afternoon (in addition to the tea service canapés offered in the Retreat lounge).  I shared my love of cured meat and cheese with her and she said she’d make sure I had something to munch on every evening around 5 while I dress for dinner.

As I finished unpacking I felt the bourbon and champagne day drinking start to catch up to me so I put out my deep sleep sign and took a late afternoon nap. More to come after my first night dinner tradition!

E08084F0-63E8-4F88-B11F-1F7EEC146D5A.thumb.jpeg.350a6cd41243ecf8d9245516a36f1d57.jpeg

3DC122D6-3FE0-4A34-899B-C85C03AA44EE.thumb.jpeg.8fa866b7b1a5f7c75f91b49b9b9609d7.jpeg

62DE8936-F238-4402-91F9-78651BEFE315.thumb.jpeg.e74cb865eed1250390aa460efaa50aa2.jpeg

F95D5868-DE44-42D3-B898-575EF225D7A4.thumb.jpeg.de1ca47a23ad7309cc953bdcd009c458.jpeg

28E49B4C-45B3-4ADE-8BBF-5E4B943FE25D.thumb.jpeg.4dbb7c099e4ffe7c8aaf845f874a4af9.jpeg

CFC912F2-153A-4A68-B6EA-DAFDDFECCC3C.thumb.jpeg.9377989827ec427916d1f8a6c1267efe.jpeg

172F7C84-1C3D-4871-AB55-8C308EBEA254.thumb.jpeg.0bd4a108b32dec3a1b9b97d75f775d78.jpeg

7296EDBD-5028-413B-9FF1-ED1D11F0793F.thumb.jpeg.b714dce4bd576678f982468b7df5d1df.jpeg

0333B9EE-B548-4EAF-9B7F-F93A4E0A6983.thumb.jpeg.df41d2f4e63ac944493a2f0bef8024c7.jpeg

7D99C667-C5E9-4855-AE44-34E32B7BE0FC.thumb.jpeg.0b8136ac1102c7dc9513280b45c8e44d.jpeg

5C27637F-52EB-4F15-9DE1-62DFF4A9CD45.thumb.jpeg.4c57e65857ce0fc47156ec30ca559f0f.jpeg

35A3D6E4-BD02-44A0-8E00-9EA6C1FE42D0.thumb.jpeg.0027ee6883f7d62d2cfebb1fb01b046f.jpeg

• Like 21

I’ve followed along on all of your live threads. I really enjoy them. I’m usually a lurker, but you mentioned you had Elaine as your butler.  Elaine was our butler on our back to back.  She is amazing and will take care of you.  Please tell her Sir Lester  and Sir Christopher <as she called us>  with the cat pictures) said hello.  You are so lucky to have her.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

My solution to the whole convincing the better half to let me sail thing has kind of been “it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission”. But that’s probably why I’m a lawyer not a marriage counselor. 😂

As a marriage counselor, I often do the same...making sure, of course, to use all "I statements." 😉

Edited by LisaLeone
Typo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Mcgeneseo said:

It did help!  My grades weren't great (hard to study on the beach with all that sand!!) but I passed the Florida bar exam and the NY exam a few years later.  That's all that matters.  Have a great cruise, I'm so jealous!

Our dtr did it the opp way.. Law School at home in NY..passed Ct, and NY and then Fla.. If she moves to Fla..she is set.. Good to have options!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Loving following along.

So glad you’re enjoying Jim!  If you find those self-packing suitcases for sale somewhere PLEASE let me know ASAP.  

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if after a few months of me owning them mine decided to go on strike for inhumane working conditions!

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

The green dress is great…mind sharing where you bought it?

Thanks.

Thank you! It’s one of my Amazon bargain buys. Less than $40, comfortable and forgiving and packs and travels very well.

Floerns Women's Summer Floral Print Sleeveless Halter Neck Beach Party Dress https://a.co/d/3bbtpvz

• Like 6