Beyond LIVE Solo Retreat Review (4/9/23): A One-Woman Suite Show

GenerationX

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

GenerationX was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hello Again CC!

Ok I promise, this is the last time you’ll have to hear me go on about my cruises for half a year…on the Celebrity board at least…

Anyway, would anyone like to come along with me on my last solo cruising adventure for the year?

A little about me and why this cruise:

I’m Charla, a married corporate lawyer from outside St. Louis, MO.  By the skin of my teeth (as in points for my last cruise posted and status changed literally yesterday) Elite Plus level Celebrity cruiser.  When I’m not sailing solo, my cruising companion is usually either my good girlfriend and fellow Celebrity cruise addict, Red, my husband Jeremy or my 10 year old mini me daughter Gen Z.

This will be my second cruise on Beyond.  Courtesy of Red’s cruise deal sleuthing I sailed on Beyond with her in aqua class last November for Beyond’s first revenue Caribbean sailing.  

I very quickly fell in love with the ship, but the crowds and crew stress that come with a nearly sold out vessel with lots of VIPs onboard, as well as lots of new crew members starting their first contracts, made it hard to give the service experience a very fair shake.

I believe what I said at the end of that live review was that I was going to wait and save some money and try Beyond again in a year once the service kinks worked out, hopefully with the means to check out the Retreat experience while I was at it.

Well, thanks to a fare deal alert oh so kindly posted on the board by @NorthStarStateCruiser (thank you again!!!), I didn’t have to wait quite that long!

Gen Z has her school commitments and Red was already booked to sail on Summit on 4/22 (and despite my best efforts couldn’t be convinced to try and get away with doing 2 cruises less than a week apart while remaining gainfully employed).  Jeremy is saving vacation days for a 10 night Europe cruise we’re planning at the end of the year, so here I am getting a bonus solo cruise!

I’m just wrapping up my last half day at the office then will pick Gen Z up from school for a little shopping and pre-trip dinner date.  She’s had a Lego store gift card burning a hole in her purse and a 2,000 piece build set she’s had her eye on that I think will keep her from missing me too much.  

Then I’ll spend tomorrow packing and getting ready for my very early, 5am flight to Miami on Saturday.

I’ll also do a post this evening about some of my plans in port and onboard.

As always if anyone has specific questions or things they’d like me to check out, don’t be shy to jump in and ask.

Looking forward to taking everyone along on another sweet, suite cruise!

7BCB2216-DD46-4929-9CBF-5DB955E89740.thumb.jpeg.6dc1405a9dbd99b34fd21ee32e904154.jpeg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

I’ just discovered your trip reports about 2 months ago,but I’m already a big fan.

My hubby and I have 2 Sunset Sky Suites booked.

lone on the Reflection in April of 24 and one on the Ascent in March of 25.

We also have a YC booked on the Seascape in November of this year.

looking forward to reading about your adventures.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Looking forward to taking everyone along on another sweet, suite cruise!

Looking forward to following along on your adventure. It will be a good appetizer before we board the Millennium on 4/21/.

• Like 1

Hi Charla.  Wishing you safe and seamless travels en route to your embarkation port.  I must say I did a double take when I read the last two words of your topic title.  I nearly mis-read suite as something else.  Anyway, I will enjoy vicariously cruising through your experiences as I have to wait until December before I step foot on a ship again.  However, I will be on a boat this summer in MA on a whale-watching excursion.  It will have to suffice.  Raise a glass for me.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

I am betting that the only thing better than following along on one of Charla's reviews is actually being on a cruise with her! Can't wait to meet you on Sunday, safe travels!

Also interested in hearing about your MSC cruise. We are considering a YC cruise with them.

mac_tlc

• Like 3

Hi Charla,  I always devour your posts and am so looking forward to another!  I was on the Beyond for the 3/19 sailing.  While I am not in a Suite, I found the crew and the ship to be the best I have ever experienced and I am Elite status.  Can’t wait to sail on her again in November.  Thanks, as always, for taking the time to bring us all along on your adventure!

• Like 1

Charla, I so enjoy your cruise live posts. I just received my map dress in the mail yesterday. Thanks for showing us what that looks like! I wonder how  many women have bought one since you first posted a pic. 

• Like 1

Charla - excited to see you are back aboard.    I need something to keep me from going stir crazy before our next cruise.     Just took a look at your itinerary and looks like a nice cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1