Why the constant repricing of cruises after final payment to much higher rates

LetsGoToo

I’m sure others have experienced this, too. However, it’s gotten to the point of being ridiculous. 

For every cruise I’ve booked direct with Celebrity in the past year, weeks after final payment, I get an urgent email that a balance is all of a sudden due. Usually the balance is a multiple of the cruise price. For example, the one i got this week showed a balance due of $18k. This is after I paid the cruise in full of $11.5k. Somehow, after making the final payment, Celebrity’s systems nearly tripled the price. 

Multiple requests to my PCC at Celebrity have gone unanswered (as usual) and I finally just spent 45 minutes on the phone getting someone else to fix this or else my cruise would’ve been cancelled. 

it’s frustrating enough to get these notices of amounts due but equally frustrating that I can’t get my PCC to respond. My prior PCC rarely responded too. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this going forward?

A few cruises ago, we were told at suite check in, while in the lounge, that we owed $1850 for our cruises. We had paid in full, of course, I had nothing with me to show paid in full, But the personnel huddled for a while and came back to us with we actually only owed $150. So we just said take it out of OBC and were good go. Two days later, GS informed us that our $150 OBC had been restored as we owed nothing. Now I take something that shows "Paid in Full".

• Like 5

Honestly, I have never had this happen in 70+ cruises with Celebrity, some booked direct over the phone, some onboard, and some booked through a TA (actually an online booking agency).  My advice is when you book directly, afterwards transfer the booking to a TA or booking agency.  I believe you have 90 days to do that.  Then the problem is in their hands.  I know some prefer booking direct, but if I kept having this problem I would do what I suggest.

We have always used a TA for our cruises.  With our first post COIVD cruise coming up we are trying a new TA that was recommended by a good friend.  Paid the $500 deposit a few months ago and the TA had set the final payment date for 100 days out rather than Celebrity's 90 days. As that date approached I asked the TA why so early and his reply was "to give us some wiggle room at the end.  If you need it moved back a couple of days just ask"  So I asked because pushing it from a Friday to a Monday put me into a new billing cycle.  Sadly when the payment went through it showed a cruise price of over $6000l rather than our booked price of under $2500.  Quick email to the TA direct to the agent we used  and within 15 minutes he CALLED me to apologize and say Celebrity was expediting my refund for the difference.  Now it is a week later and I am still looking for my refund but I sure am glad this error went into a new billing cycle.....and yes, I always take copies of all of my  paperwork with me.