Coffee Makers? Why not?

silverturtle

Why oh why can't we have coffee makers on Carnival? NCL has them in their balconies and up and I'm sure they're not the only ones. It's not like they'd be losing money, coffee is free everyplace else on the ship. The scare of a fire?.. us women all have our curling irons and straight irons, so that can't be the reason. I'd even be ok to pay an upcharge for the coffee maker in the room!!! I just don't get why they can't put them in the rooms.

59 minutes ago, silverturtle said:

Why oh why can't we have coffee makers on Carnival? NCL has them in their balconies and up and I'm sure they're not the only ones. It's not like they'd be losing money, coffee is free everyplace else on the ship. The scare of a fire?.. us women all have our curling irons and straight irons, so that can't be the reason. I'd even be ok to pay an upcharge for the coffee maker in the room!!! I just don't get why they can't put them in the rooms.

I agree w/you 100% BUT I see the point (to a degree) about the 'fire' problem. And will NOT even discuss the revolting topic discussed in #3 reply above. I LOVE my keurig brewer and wish ( and this may or may not exist and I'm not aware of it OR it may not be possible due too economically fesable). I wish Keurig made a unit that could be 'fire/idiot proof' (IF such a unit is possible) . Therefore we who love HOT coffee could brew a20-30 oz cup in 5 mins. True you can call room service and possibly get a carafe in 20-30 mins BUT odds are it'll be (at best) lukewarm which is a little too cool for my taste. So, I don't know what the cure is for in-room service is or if there is one except to don the casual dress and venture down (or up) to the coffee bar for a warmer cup of joe. Anybody here, have a suggestion or cure?

Mac

(P.S Heck, I'll even BRING my coffee pods if they could find a suitable unit)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silverturtle said:

Why oh why can't we have coffee makers on Carnival? 

Hi @silverturtle🙂

Actually, there are many obvious and 'possible' reasons. I'll list just a few.

Fire hazard / Burns / Overheating 

Sanitary Reasons / Cleaning Of Units

Sanitized Every Turnaround Day For New Passengers 

Germs / Spreading Of Germs

Coffee Spills / Carpet Stains 

Hundreds Of Coffee Makers More Electricity Being Used 

Electrical Consumption Cost Money / Fuel 

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @silverturtle🙂

Actually, there are many obvious and 'possible' reasons. I'll list a few.

Fire hazard / Burns / Overheating 

Sanitary Reasons / Cleaning Of Units

Sanitized Every Turnaround Day For New Passengers 

Germs / Spreading Of Germs

Coffee Spills / Carpet Stains 

Hundreds Of Coffee Makers More Electricity Being Used 

Electrical Consumption Cost Money / Fuel 

🍹

Electrical system not designed for

The most obvious - theft and/or sabotage

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lubedobedo said:

Why not bring a french press and coffee grounds and order a pot of hot water through room service. Make your own.

If you are going to order hot water from room service, you might as well just order coffee. 🙂

• Like 4

5 hours ago, silverturtle said:

It is a valid question, but no one here can answer. Only Carnival could give the real reason. But thinking Carnival would be adding something these days is very wishful thinking. The better question is what will they cut next.

• Like 2

I figure that the reason is money.  In order for you to have a coffee machine in your room, Carnival would have to buy the machine first, right? Not enough people are bothered by not having one in their room for Carnival to do anything about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qextor said:

I figure that the reason is money.  In order for you to have a coffee machine in your room, Carnival would have to buy the machine first, right? Not enough people are bothered by not having one in their room for Carnival to do anything about it.

That's what I kinda thought. It's got to be the money.

The last post is closer to the point than others.  It is a "risk/reward" consideration.  The reward is having more passengers pleased by having a coffee maker in the cabin.  The risk is the cost of the machines, and the cost of having the crew take the machines out of service regularly (and having bought extra machines to cover these inspections) and the man/hours involved in testing and inspecting the machines for defects (which is done by those lines that provide coffee makers and hair dryers).  Add in the insurance cost to cover the fire hazard of the coffee makers (the insurance clubs already accept the cost and risk of allowing hair care appliances that are brought by passengers).  Carnival's demographic research has shown that there is not enough reward to counter the risk, while other lines feel differently.

The idea that adding coffee makers would impact fuel consumption in any meaningful way, or that the electrical system could not handle, or was not designed for coffee makers in every cabin is not right.  When I was working for NCL, we added coffee makers to every cabin, and as the Chief Engineer, I can say that there was no noticeable change in fuel consumption, or electrical problems.  The coffee makers were removed after a few months due to cost to inspect/maintain them.

The fire hazard that coffee makers present is a failure of the "auto-off" temperature switch, that shuts the heating element off when the water is all boiled from the reservoir.  This is the most common failure mode for a coffee maker, and the plastic reservoir is perfect fuel for a fire.  This failure almost sent Mr. Coffee into bankruptcy back in the 1980's.

As for sanitizing a coffee maker, the CDC VSP only recommends cleaning/sanitizing "as per manufacturer's instructions", which is typically every 6-12 months.

• Like 7

I would be onboard to paying  extra for one (like ordering wifi, room service, etc)... but the current room service way works fine as well (most of the time). I do miss having the door cards. Every morning, we order 2 pots of coffee with cream and sugar.... it costs us a $5 tip every tip every morning. But I love having coffee on my balcony every morning and I am the type of person that does NOTHING before coffee.

• Like 4

I also have to think it's down to cost more than anything else. Otherwise what could NCL be doing so much differently than Carnival that allows one to have coffee makers and one to not have them? It was nice to have a coffee maker when I cruised NCL a few years ago, but it's far from a deal breaker. Before my last cruise I bought a 20oz thermos which is good for about three Carnival size cups of coffee. When I woke up I'd head to the Lido and fill it. Not as convenient as a coffee maker, but quicker than room service. 

Edited by Rudyard

I often stay in hotels with coffee makers but rarely use them since it is it is not that much trouble to walk down to the lobby/cafe' to get a fresh cup. I know that P&O ships have kettles for their tea-loving guest so it comes down to what the passengers demand. 

Most likely its a cultural thing. P&O owned by Carnival has tea kettles due to it being a British centric line and their cultural love of Tea. While Coffee is the USA equivalent it may not be as popular. 

Wouldn't be impossible for Carnival to Contract out for some cheap room K-Cup makers and some rebranded "carnival coffee" C-kups in the room. 

12 hours ago, silverturtle said:

I haven't read all of the responses but I'm going to guess it's the cost and manpower involved with providing them.

12 hours ago, gopackgo21 said:

I’ve also seen videos of people cleaning their underwear in them along with a lot of other nasty things. I’ll never use a hotel in room coffee maker again. 🤮

This is the reason I do not even care for one in the rooms. What people do in these rooms and anything in them will amaze you.