What to wear on the ship in Alaska..is it cold inside too?

madre2

Being used to Caribbean cruises, I am finding it hard to pack for this Alaskan cruise.  It isn’t until June, but I’m starting to make my lists now.   I know it will be cold out on deck, especially while in Glacier National Park.  But what is the temperature like inside the ship and cabin?  Will we want warmer long sleeves and pants?  And warmer pjs in the cabin?  Any packing advice would be most appreciated.  I learn so much on these boards.  

• Like 1

The ship temperature is very comfortable. Never felt the need to dress in heavier clothes. Frankly, Alaska felt like the Caribbean to me inside the ship. I wear lightweight clothes both places but always carry a light sweater or wrap with me.

• Like 1

You should be shopping the end-of-the-season sale and clearance for a fleece jacket, and or a fleece vest to be worn under your waterproof raincoat shell.  Fleece will keep you warm and help keep your skin from getting wet. Layering of your outerwear is your best bet to keep warm and dry.

You should also have a hat, gloves and waterproof shoes on this cruise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, madre2 said:

Being used to Caribbean cruises, I am finding it hard to pack for this Alaskan cruise.  It isn’t until June, but I’m starting to make my lists now.   I know it will be cold out on deck, especially while in Glacier National Park.  But what is the temperature like inside the ship and cabin?  Will we want warmer long sleeves and pants?  And warmer pjs in the cabin?  Any packing advice would be most appreciated.  I learn so much on these boards.  

You will actually be at Glacier Bay National Park. Glacier National Park is in Montana.

I usually wear jeans and sweaters/sweatshirts on the ship. Yes - it maybe cold during glacier viewing days. I am outside all day and bring gloves, ear protection, etc.... There literally have been times when people have worn bathing suits in the pool area on those days also, so be prepared for any temp and dress in layers. It is Alaska - expect anything.

My room on Princess always runs warm. I can never get it cool enough for my temps. So I wouldn't bring warm PJs.

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, madre2 said:

It's just like if you were in a hotel. 

Inside is always very comfortable. 

But.... (there's always a but)

Sometimes you are cruising in Alaska and you are walking around inside the ship and comfortable and you happen upon an outside deck and it's VERY CHILLY.  (or rainy) 

🛳enJOY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo's Mom said:

It's just like if you were in a hotel. 

Inside is always very comfortable. 

But.... (there's always a but)

Sometimes you are cruising in Alaska and you are walking around inside the ship and comfortable and you happen upon an outside deck and it's VERY CHILLY.  (or rainy) 

🛳enJOY

Or there was one particular corridor on Coral Princess, actually along past the specialty dining hallway that was always freezing for some reason. So there does seem to be pockets of cold on cruises. Just made sure I had a wrap or something for that area.

I am struggling with this same thing.  I am also the person that is cold indoors on a cruise ship (and everywhere else I go) in the summer because everyone blasts the air conditioning. I plan on dressing a little warmer than normal for while I am inside for our upcoming May Alaska Cruise.  I did recently buy some warmer PJ's. I can kick the covers off if I don't need them.  I also bought a fleece lined windbreaker and a new warm pullover. I will be bringing swim suits in case we want to go in the hot tub and at least one pair of shorts in case we have a heat wave.  From what I understand, Alaska Cruises are more casual for dinner than Caribbean cruises.  I probably won't be bringing these cute little dresses that I normally bring with me on a cruise to wear for dinner.  Well...maybe I will bring one, just in case. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluetardis said:

Being that Alaska cruises are more casual for dinner,what are you taking for formal night? I was thinking cashmere sweater and leggings with boots and a blazer. I just don’t know if it’s too casual.

While we live in Alaska we still do Alaska itineraries.  My experience is that few passengers dress up for the formal/evening chic nights.  This woman wears a glittery top, black slacks and heeled sandals.  My husband does not bother with a suit but does take a sports coat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluetardis said:

Being that Alaska cruises are more casual for dinner,what are you taking for formal night? I was thinking cashmere sweater and leggings with boots and a blazer. I just don’t know if it’s too casual.

I no longer bring dresses for our Alaskan cruises.  On formal nights, I wear black pants, sparkly tops and dressy sandals.  I also bring my cashmere pashmina—I’m one that always gets cold.  Hubby doesn’t bring a sports coat but wears dress pants, collar shirt and a pullover sweater.  We’re  “above average” in our attire—there will be some folks who will dress up (tux, gown) but not enough that we feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giggleypuff said:

Is it worthwhile to pack a pair of shorts for early May or is it likely to be a waste of space?

for EARLY May? probably yes, I remember last year seeing videos from Skagway up the mountain with a big snowstorm.  I know that isn't indicative of the temps down at the bottom, but I doubt it will be in the 60s+ by then.  We were unseasonably warm in the 60s/70s end of May last year, but I keep trying to temper my expectations assuming we will be chillier and more wet this time around.  I would say pack some Columbia/Duluth/hiking pants that are thin and you should be ok, not sweating to death on a day you might have wanted a pair of shorts (IF that happens). 

I did 1st AK cruise last Sept after 20+ Caribbean cruises.

I wore layers both on & off the ship. If head to the Lido deck perhaps to grab a meal or a snack at the buffet, you may go outdoors & will be glad for the layers. Though our embarkation day was very pleasant--some even hit the pool. 

Since you are sailing in June, it may be even nicer.

But layers are key--you just never know.

BTW, AK cruises are more casual than in the Caribbean. Most stay in their athletic gear from the day for dinner.

• Like 1

I always wear dresses to dinner in the Caribbean.  But for Alaska I’m doing pants and long sleeve tops for dinner. Formal nights or dress your best, dress pants and tank with sparkle duster and lightweight sweater coat.  I doubt I’ll wear shorts but will bring a pair.  I don’t want to have to use tanner on my legs this trip so guessing I will stick to jeans and leggings with longer tops during the day. If I use the hot tub I’ll be the one with the blinding white legs. A couple of zip sweatshirts, jacket and raincoat will round things out.  I am bringing water proof boots, sperrys, too. We have whale watching and guided hiking planned.  I am bringing warmer PJs for trips out on the balcony and will ask for robes. 
DH will wear mostly jeans and T shirts, long and short sleeve and for evening long sleeve button down shirts with slacks. Maybe one sport coat?   We are going more casual than usual for sure.  There will be a couple of nights we may not make it to the MDR but still be on shore at 5 p.m.  TBD. Then it’s whatever we wore during the day to the WJ.