Alcohol in the Cabin

lion1956

I hope someone can help with this specific question, we are booked on Princess in May and I have read their alcohol policy and I know we are entitled to bring one bottle of wine each at embarcation, we have purchased the Plus beverage package but my question is this, do they sell alcohol (not wine ) in their shops for consumption in our cabin, or can I pre-order alcohol for cabin consumption and which way is cheaper? Pre-oder or wait till we board?

You can buy a bottle of wine from certain bars, and take the bottle back to your room to drink.

If you have the Plus package, you get 25% discount, but still pay 18% service charge.

Edited by wowzz

7 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

I hope someone can help with this specific question, we are booked on Princess in May and I have read their alcohol policy and I know we are entitled to bring one bottle of wine each at embarcation, we have purchased the Plus beverage package but my question is this, do they sell alcohol (not wine ) in their shops for consumption in our cabin, or can I pre-order alcohol for cabin consumption and which way is cheaper? Pre-oder or wait till we board?

For consumption in your cabin, you can purchase those ahead of time on the PCL website.

375ml bottles

Cruise personalizer> onboard services >

Princess wine and spirits > move down past the wines to see the selection of spirits.  When you get OB, Just call RS to have the liquor delivered. 

The price is the same once you are OB, except sometimes OB they add extra taxes if you’re still in port when you

order, or the prices may be increased soon, as all the other beverage packages have been increasing. JMO  Also, the selection may be more limited once OB. Depends on supply.

If you’re referring to the large bottles of liquor, that you purchase duty free OB, those are delivered the night before disembarking.

If you have the beverage package, you shouldn’t need to buy more, unless you just want them available in your cabin.

Thanks for the reply, I have heard from others that some people will smuggle the alcohol on board by disguising it when they arrive in a port, make it look like ice tea etc.  Does this happen?  Have you heard of this?

49 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

Thanks for the reply, I have heard from others that some people will smuggle the alcohol on board by disguising it when they arrive in a port, make it look like ice tea etc.  Does this happen?  Have you heard of this?

Now that so many passengers buy the Plus package, there is little need to revert to subterfuge. After all, you have already bought 15 alcoholic drinks a day - why smuggle more on board  ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

Its mostly about convenience in the evening to have drinks in your cabin without waiting for room service, not so much about the price

Well, you can do what I did last week. Walk to the nearest bar, order a drink, and carry it back to your cabin. Or, in my case, two drinks. Two large (double pours) of wine, one glass for me, one for my wife. Total time: 5 minutes.

Simples !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

Its mostly about convenience in the evening to have drinks in your cabin without waiting for room service, not so much about the price

I also enjoy a cocktail in my cabin when I'm preparing for the evening. Or sometimes a nightcap. I don't want to go to a bar or order room service.

I ordered a bottle online pre-cruise and it was in my cabin when I boarded. When that was empty, I just called room service and they delivered another one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well, you can do what I did last week. Walk to the nearest bar, order a drink, and carry it back to your cabin. Or, in my case, two drinks. Two large (double pours) of wine, one glass for me, one for my wife. Total time: 5 minutes.

Simples !

You can order doubles?  Is that for wine and vodka, etc.??

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

In the bars I very often order double whiskey straight up. Never a problem. If I want a double from room service I have to order two drinks. Lame but that's the way it is.

• Like 2

On the first day of the cruise, I always find the nearest bar to my cabin.  It is often the Wheelhouse Bar.

I then make that my late afternoon/early evening spot to grab soft drinks and mocktails to bring to the cabin.  My minibar is stocked with cans of soda, but those are for late night, after I'm already preparing for bed and do not feel like going out to a bar.

• Like 1

I also like to grab a small bottle of San Pellegrino sometimes to take back to the cabin. It's good to have a small bottle before bed - especially if one has been drinking alcohol. I like San Pellegrino much better than Perrier but that will do in a pinch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

We took two cruises with the Plus package in the last 6 months and every night on our way to the cabin for the night we always stopped at the bar by the aft elevators and ordered two double Baileys on the rocks.  After a few days they were waiting for us 🙂  I don't know if they would have balked if we were asking for doubles of something pricey - but I suspect not since as was noted above it all counts toward 15 🙂

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

For consumption in your cabin, you can purchase those ahead of time on the PCL website.

375ml bottles

Cruise personalizer> onboard services >

Princess wine and spirits > move down past the wines to see the selection of spirits.  When you get OB, Just call RS to have the liquor delivered. 

Just a footnote to this, the spirts may not be available on shorter voyages. I just took a 5 day and the 375 ml bottles were not available. They are listed though on our upcoming 10 day voyage.

Just fyi. Haven't looked up any additional info beyond comparing my 2 reservations.

3 hours ago, lion1956 said:

Just order extras from room service and place any that need to be kept chilled in the fridge. It's strange that when you have the drink package, at the bars you can only order one drink yet from my room I often ordered 3 or 4 beers and 3 or 4 glasses of wine all at the same time.

5 hours ago, lion1956 said:

No, you can not buy alcohol on board for consumption onboard but you can pre-purchase certain bottles pre-cruise.

5 hours ago, lion1956 said:

I have heard about this mostly on Carnival by 21 year olds who can't afford to buy many drinks on board.  I think it would be embarrassing to be caught.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not our experience. As others have said, ordering two doubles is not a problem.

I never have a problem ordering a drink for me and my wife. I cannot order, say 3 beers and 3 glasses of wine for the two of us. Yet I can and have ordered that much at a time, for room service.

Strange that they enforce this at bars to stop sharing yet I can order extra to my cabin and have people, who may not have the drinks package, visit us there for drinks.

13 hours ago, lion1956 said:

It happens more often than than people will admit and not really that hard to do. Just don't pack a full bottle in you luggage and you'll be fine.