Alcohol in the Cabin

lion1956

I take Rum Runners on all cruises.  I check them from home in my luggage to use at my precruise hotel.  I then use them at my post cruise hotel.  I also pack formal clothes.  Plastic Rum Runners are better than packing the actual bottle which can break in airports.  One Rum Runner takes up little room in a suitcase.  I usually pack mine in my bathroom stuff case.  Put it in a zip lock bag.  Put it in an enclosed case.  If it breaks, you have two levels to absorb any leakage. I have never had one break and I have never been questioned on any cruise on any cruise line.  I was questioned once on a cruise line.  I figured it was about the Rum Runner.  It was about a shoe horn.  They thought it was a shovel.  Why can't I bring a shovel onboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

No, you can not buy alcohol on board for consumption onboard but you can pre-purchase certain bottles pre-cruise.

On the Sky I purchased the 375ml bottle of vodka through room service, same price as pre cruise. 

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

I take Rum Runners on all cruises.  I check them from home in my luggage to use at my precruise hotel.  I then use them at my post cruise hotel.  I also pack formal clothes.  Plastic Rum Runners are better than packing the actual bottle which can break in airports.  One Rum Runner takes up little room in a suitcase.  I usually pack mine in my bathroom stuff case.  Put it in a zip lock bag.  Put it in an enclosed case.  If it breaks, you have two levels to absorb any leakage. I have never had one break and I have never been questioned on any cruise on any cruise line.  I was questioned once on a cruise line.  I figured it was about the Rum Runner.  It was about a shoe horn.  They thought it was a shovel.  Why can't I bring a shovel onboard?

We've never been questioned about our Rum Runners either and I suspect that since many people are buying the liquor packages lately, they'll be less & less of them being brought on the ships.

• Like 2

Granted we are lowly beer drinkers 😊 but during the day while we're out and about on the ship we stop at a few bars and use our handy blue Princess tote bag to take them back to cabin fridge for later consumption. Sail away on our balcony with drinks is one of our favorite cruising activities. It's nice to come back to a cold beer on the balcony after a day in port.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Completely agree with you.  I just keep thinking that if EVERYONE  brought on rum runners instead of paying for drinks or purchasing packages, the cruiselines would go out of business or the cruise fares would skyrocket.  I would hate to see either scenario. 

They seemed to manage just fine when they allowed Booze to be brought on. RC even let you buy from the duty free store for a extra $10. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

You can order doubles?  Is that for wine and vodka, etc.??

Doubles is definitely fine.  Where the line gets a little blurry is ordering multiple drinks.  I just sailed a couple weeks ago and was able to order multiple drinks seemingly anytime.  Way less of an issue than it was back in the day where I would often be turned down or had to explain why I needed more than 1. I feel like with drink packages so much more prevalent with the new Plus/Premier setup, they're just not as worried about you sharing with people who don't have the drink package.

One word of caution if you order drinks through the app on the phone.....My wife and I did this a lot - on the pool deck when the bars were busy or back in the room, we could order as many drinks as we wanted for delivery but we always used one phone so it was more efficient/one order.  Definitely ended up with a few drinks charged to the room because we were too lopsided in ordering from one phone or the other and ended up putting that account over 15.  If you do this....alternate which account you use each time.

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Don’t you find that some people just enjoy pushing the limits to what they can get away with.  They don’t like the dress code, they don’t like the alcohol policies, so let’s just do what we want!  These folks brag about cheating the system using rum runners and in the next breath complain about the poor quality of their steak in the MDR.  

I'm confused, do they need rum to cook steak

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

They seemed to manage just fine when they allowed Booze to be brought on. RC even let you buy from the duty free store for a extra $10. 

I have been cruising since 1990 and the only alcohol I have been allowed to bring on board is wine. Back then you could bring on cases of wine to drink in your cabin no charge

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

The optimum word is “purchase”.  As opposed to cheating the system and not purchasing.  What ever happened to good old honesty?

They seem to be doing just fine selling the plus package.

On our last cruise many of them shared openly with their friends during trivia almost every night. 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They seem to be doing just fine selling the plus package.

On our last cruise many of them shared openly with their friends during trivia almost every night. 😄

Who doesn't share, it's the polite thing to do. You have paid for your 15 drinks, why waste them 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Clarification, please.  I was under the impression they cut you off at 15 drinks.  Is that incorrect?  Can you still get served but just have to pay for them?

You've got it right. They do not cut you off when you exceed the 15. They just charge you (they tell you that you've hit the 15).

Obviously they will cut you off if you have over-imbibed.

I call it the Challenge 15🍹

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Outerdog said:

You've got it right. They do not cut you off when you exceed the 15. They just charge you (they tell you that you've hit the 15).

Obviously they will cut you off if you have over-imbibed.

I call it the Challenge 15🍹

We've completed it a number of times but only with a little help. 😁

6 hours ago, antsp said:

Who doesn't share, it's the polite thing to do. You have paid for your 15 drinks, why waste them 

But if they catch you sharing, they can/will end your package with no refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

Sorry, but you are preaching to a brick wall.  I’ve learned from experience, trust me. Thank you for your comment as it may be informative for others who care.

• Like 2

Yes, they will discontinue your drink package if caught sharing with others.

After talking with one of the bartenders about it, he just laughed and proceeded to get my two drinks. Of course one was for me & the other was for the husband.  

5 hours ago, jwattle said:

Just off the Discovery this month.  Hubby and I had the drink package, our two table mates in MDR did not.  I tried to order a bottle of champagne to toast our last night together.  The wait staff said "why don't you just use your drink package and order 4 glasses?  Much cheaper!"

We did just that (hubby and I were nowhere near the 15-drink daily drink limit).  It was a nice way to end our cruise and toast new cruise friends!

(Both hubby and I frequently buy drinks for each other in addition to picking up some bottled water.  I sometimes have 6 drinks all at once--doubles for two, water for each.  No one has ever challenged that or told me we couldn't do it.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Just off the Discovery this month.  Hubby and I had the drink package, our two table mates in MDR did not.  I tried to order a bottle of champagne to toast our last night together.  The wait staff said "why don't you just use your drink package and order 4 glasses?  Much cheaper!"

We did just that (hubby and I were nowhere near the 15-drink daily drink limit).  It was a nice way to end our cruise and toast new cruise friends!

(Both hubby and I frequently buy drinks for each other in addition to picking up some bottled water.  I sometimes have 6 drinks all at once--doubles for two, water for each.  No one has ever challenged that or told me we couldn't do it.)

The bar staff do not give one jot

• Like 2

12 hours ago, antsp said:

You can lose the plan without refund for sharing   It used to be unlimited drinks until people stated sharing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1