What's up with the slippers?

MsMaybelline

Has anyone recently been in The Haven? I love the cheap little slippers we get that are embroidered in gold with "The Haven".  The slippers in our current Haven cabin are open-toe and not embroidered. I wondered if it was a replacement for the nicer slippers or if that is what they give other suite guests not staying in The Haven.  We are on Deck 10 and there are only 2 Haven suites on this deck. Quite a few suites, but they aren't Haven. The bathrobe seems the same. I wonder about the towels too. Ours are large but are more like a white pool towel. I tought I remembered the Haven towels being big and fluffy. We were just in the Haven in November, but we were up in the actual Haven on the Getaway. We weren't sure what to expect since we are not up in The Haven area.TIA

Just in the Epic Haven a few weeks ago.   The slippers were not impressive at all--very thin and no gold lettering that you mentioned.   Also our bath towels seemed like the normal ones and some of them have seen better days.   

We were on Joy a month ago in an outside the Haven, Haven room. We had the funky little gold embroidered slippers, just like normal. We've never stayed in the Haven complex, but always had those slippers. 

As for towels, we had normal towels until we kept bringing towels back (wet and used) from the Haven sundeck that were big and fluffy. Like big enough to wrap around my giant waist! It's awesome to have a towel I can cover myself with. That doesn't happen often. Once we started bringing these back, I noticed our steward would replace the towels in our bathroom with this style of towel. Maybe you can ask for the bigger, fluffier ones? 

Edit: I wonder if whatever ship you're on has a different style of slippers and towels. Might be worth exploring with the concierge or room steward.

Edited by cruiseny4life

I haven't seen the open-toe slippers but the usual Haven slippers are too small. Maybe the open-toe design is a response to complaints?

Cheap towels?.....Those are fighting words. If there are real Haven towels on the ship, you should go and get them....or have the butler get them. 😉

We were in an Aft facing Penthouse last summer on the Bliss. I actually don’t remember the slippers, but I don’t ever wear slippers, so that may be why. I will say the robe and towels were great. They were both very nice quality.

Thanks everyone! I'm going on a towel hunt. For the price of the Haven, we should not have to ask for something that is part of the Haven to begin with.  Also, we haven't seen any M&Ms, no nuts, no chips in our cabin. I brought back some M&Ms from the Haven pool area. Maybe that will spark something? Oh, and I forgot about the gummy bears!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MsMaybelline said:

Thanks everyone! I'm going on a towel hunt. For the price of the Haven, we should not have to ask for something that is part of the Haven to begin with.  Also, we haven't seen any M&Ms, no nuts, no chips in our cabin. I brought back some M&Ms from the Haven pool area. Maybe that will spark something? Oh, and I forgot about the gummy bears!

Did you ask? You have to ask. They don't know what you want unless you communicate with your butler. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MsMaybelline said:

Thanks everyone! I'm going on a towel hunt ... 

Hmmm, you shouldn't have to hunt for them unless "they" are all having a bad week ...  Maybe, have a quick chat or leave a note with your concierge ??  

Just to be clear, you are currently on the GEM's T/A - correct ??  Maybe your steward is relatively/new to NCL and still learning to do her/his job, not quite fully oriented to Haven & suite produts vs. non-Haven and the supervisor not checking.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MsMaybelline said:

M&Ms, gummy bears, chips, bar mix, nuts, don't come with your cabin. You have to request them. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

We are on the Gem T/A.  I asked about the slippers and wow, she (cabin steward) will bring some Haven slippers. This is not our first Haven experience but in the past, things would just appear from our butlers. Our first Haven cabin was a spa suite, also not within the Haven. We saw the butler maybe twice in 14 days. Our current butler has kept the minibar filled, brought the standard chocolate covered strawberries, canapes, and various sandwiches. I feel like the level of service is a step up if you are up in the Haven itself. Just something to consider. We are paying the same as the guests up there. Plus, if you are in an Owner's Suite, I think they should be on top of all the amenities. This all sounds so stupid over slippers & M&Ms but overall, it's the level of service, not each item. 

I think it's very much butler related.  We've had butler in and out of the Haven who were very pro-active.  They would bring treats including gummy bears and m&m's and if they saw we enjoyed something would replenish or bring it often. (Sometimes too often! LOL!) Other butlers barely dropped off some tired looking strawberries and called it a day and even when we asked or mentioned our preferences we still were left without.

It could be inexperience or just that particular butler's attitude.  Most of the time, we let it slide as we really don't need the snacks although it does make you feel spoiled.  But our tip will reflect the amount of spoiling we received.

Our last time was in the Haven on the Gem and my DH said that they were really cutting back on things, but I think it was our butler as others seemed to be getting all kinds of treats.  Our butler was pretty much MIA, but our room steward was great.

3 hours ago, MsMaybelline said:

As others have said, just ASK your Butler.  That's what they "do" (well, some of what they do!).

And have you browsed through some of the threads and posts here on the NCL section of CC about the "Butler Letter"?  There are many variations, but the main thing is:  Ask for what you wish, or even ask what's available if you need some suggestions.

We preferred fresh fruit, and had huge platters of it arriving.  We finally had to ask for "less".

We also loved having breakfast arriving such that we'd often wake up to the aroma of fresh coffee and crispy bacon... Yum!

GC

Those slippers you should not have to look far - when hanging your cruise wardrobe in one

of the closets you should find them in or near a wicker basket used for return of laundry.

Also the durable laundry bag and inventory invoice form.

That wicker basket may not be on the floor - it may be on a shelf above with the life jackets.

LOOK around and be amazed what is hidden behind closed cabinet doors/drawers - the 

Owners Suite - Deluxe Owners Suite and Garden Villas have sets of dish silverware and

beverage glassware for entertaining and party ready from the first moment upon boarding.

If you use any of it the Butler will replace it - the Cabin Attendant will remove the used stuff.

16 hours ago, goldmom said:

I think it's very much butler related.  We've had butler in and out of the Haven who were very pro-active.  They would bring treats including gummy bears and m&m's and if they saw we enjoyed something would replenish or bring it often. (Sometimes too often! LOL!)

Goldmom, that's our exact experience. Our very first butler experience did not impress us at all. We never saw him. Our current steward and butler are not going above and beyond. It's adequate but not Haven quality.  Today is Day 6 and we asked about the covers for the loungers out front. She tried telling us that yes, the blue cover is all that is available. I questioned that because on previous cruises, the balconies were set up before we got back from breakfast.  So, here at 3pm the covers are just now on the loungers. We aren't needy and we try to be very considerate of the staff's time. I just expect the level of service we have paid for. 

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

You are experiencing the consistency of their inconsistent suite experience. 

Dex - nailed it, LOL.  Aren't they following and reading posts on CC - if they do, as claimed ... someone should be doing a follow-up onboard, "stat" 

17 minutes ago, MsMaybelline said:

Goldmom, that's our exact experience. Our very first butler experience did not impress us at all. We never saw him. Our current steward and butler are not going above and beyond. It's adequate but not Haven quality.  Today is Day 6 and we asked about the covers for the loungers out front. She tried telling us that yes, the blue cover is all that is available. I questioned that because on previous cruises, the balconies were set up before we got back from breakfast.  So, here at 3pm the covers are just now on the loungers. We aren't needy and we try to be very considerate of the staff's time. I just expect the level of service we have paid for. 

I agree!  I guess the problem is that once you have an exceptional butler you know what the level of service can be.  That makes the poorer service even more disappointing.  Years ago, one of our butlers mentioned that he went to "butler school" and then worked with another butler onboard until he learned the job.  I don't think that the butlers are now getting any real training and it shows in the level of service.

Hope you still have a great cruise.  We've just decided we'll roll with the punches and just not expect exceptional service and that way we'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a good butler.

Enjoy!

On 4/19/2023 at 3:49 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Did you ask? You have to ask. They don't know what you want unless you communicate with your butler. 

You beat me to it and took the words out of my mouth.

For every person that is upset that they didn't get 'xyz' there's another person complaining that they did get 'xyz' when they're a diabetic/celiac/vegan/etc. The suggestion of a butler letter was one of the best I've read on here and we stick with that approach. Last trip they took it to the extreme and continued to bring everything we said we liked at one time - talk about gluttony. Finally had to leave notes saying 'no snacks today - we have too many'. So now another revision to the letter to indicate "Pick any ONE of these suggestions below, or surprise us with something similar. But please, only ONE tray per day."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

I haven't seen the open-toe slippers but the usual Haven slippers are too small. Maybe the open-toe design is a response to complaints?

I've tried those slippers twice and neither time found them enjoyable. My feet are not long (women's 8), but I get bad edema from time to time due to health issues. So my fat poofy feet don't come close to getting into those things. At least an open toe slipper would let me scoot in further so they stay on for walking around in the room or on the balcony.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up:

When I asked about the slippers, they were replaced with the correct ones. I like the embroidered Haven slippers... They're inexpensive, easy to pop on, and remind me of our trips. We also have a new butler for the last week of the cruise. He's amazing and is definitely going above and beyond. 

Now, if only the food met our expectations 🤔

On 4/20/2023 at 10:07 AM, mking8288 said:

Dex - nailed it, LOL.  Aren't they following and reading posts on CC - if they do, as claimed ... someone should be doing a follow-up onboard, "stat" 

Why should a cruise line read posts on CC since only a very small fraction of the cruising public even know that CC exists?

If you want to bring something to the attention of the cruise line, do it in the survey they send after every cruise.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why should a cruise line read posts on CC since only a very small fraction of the cruising public even know that CC exists?

If you want to bring something to the attention of the cruise line, do it in the survey they send after every cruise.

Gosh, Cruise Critic would be quite the boring place if we didn't discuss our cruise experiences here. Roll tide.

40 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Gosh, Cruise Critic would be quite the boring place if we didn't discuss our cruise experiences here. Roll tide.

We certainly should discuss our cruising experiences but the best way to bring something to the attention of a cruise line is the survey, not posting on CC.  It isn't at all clear that CC is as important as posters here would like to believe.  The travel professionals I know do not think highly of this place.