Clothing items stolen from stateroom on last evening on board

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Reading a review of a ship -

“good service.  However, three of clothing items were stolen from my stateroom on the last evening on board”.

Has anyone had anything stolen from their cabin on a ship?

I haven’t. However I had good pair of leather gloves stolen on the last evening from my room in a hotel in Paris.

Context please? Ship, country.

Someone used to steal our Princess chocolates from our pillows. I thought it was a major mystery, then one night I caught my wife in the act.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Context please? Ship, country.

Someone used to steal our Princess chocolates from our pillows. I thought it was a major mystery, then one night I caught my wife in the act.

Yes, but did you find out who stole your chocolates?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

One of life's great mysteries why one sock goes missing at home also!

My wife asked me why I was wearing odd socks, I said I wasn't they were a pair, and I use to have and identical pair but they went missing.🤭

• Haha 3

Luckily, only ever had belongings stolen when travelling once, many years ago from a motel on NSW Central Coast, where the thieves got in thru the breakfast door!! 

The thread has brought back some memories though:

- I once returned home from a business trip without a pair of trousers - no idea whatever happened to them & DW had a few questions 🙂 

- Left my i-Pad on a cruise once & got it back after the ship returned from the next cruise to Sth Pacific.

- On a RC cruise back in 2014, there was a security expert onboard who had a couple of sessions on security on travelling - apparently, he works as a consultant for many travel companies. My mate & I were brought up on stage as part of a demonstration on how easy it is to have stuff stolen by 'pick-pockets". Even though we both knew what was going and & were particularly vigilant, as we left the stage he called us back. He had managed to remove a small leather case (for my hearing aids, which were in my ears) from my pocket & my mates watch from his wrist & we had no clue!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Luckily, only ever had belongings stolen when travelling once, many years ago from a motel on NSW Central Coast, where the thieves got in thru the breakfast door!! 

The thread has brought back some memories though:

- I once returned home from a business trip without a pair of trousers - no idea whatever happened to them & DW had a few questions 🙂 

- Left my i-Pad on a cruise once & got it back after the ship returned from the next cruise to Sth Pacific.

- On a RC cruise back in 2014, there was a security expert onboard who had a couple of sessions on security on travelling - apparently, he works as a consultant for many travel companies. My mate & I were brought up on stage as part of a demonstration on how easy it is to have stuff stolen by 'pick-pockets". Even though we both knew what was going and & were particularly vigilant, as we left the stage he called us back. He had managed to remove a small leather case (for my hearing aids, which were in my ears) from my pocket & my mates watch from his wrist & we had no clue!!

Its amazing what you don't feel if your being distracted.

Lesson here I guess is, if someone or persons are distracting you, you have to assume your being targeted. and take appropriate action.

What that action would be, I have no idea, but I'm guessing make some noise to attract attention..

• Like 2

On a recent cruise I also found 2 unopened pairs of pantyhose with some paperwork dated 15 months prior when I pulled out a bottom drawer to retreive a pair of socks. So that area doesn't get cleaned often.

I also got a g-string in with my washing! Tempting as it was, I just left it in the laundry.

As for clothing, some has gone missing just off my washing line at home overnight.

1 minute ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

On a recent cruise I also found 2 unopened pairs of pantyhose with some paperwork dated 15 months prior when I pulled out a bottom drawer to retreive a pair of socks. So that area doesn't get cleaned often.

I also got a g-string in with my washing! Tempting as it was, I just left it in the laundry.

As for clothing, some has gone missing just off my washing line at home overnight.

The clothing from the washing line used to be a thing - I wonder if people still do it. Targetting ladies' underwear, it was called 'snowdropping'.

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The clothing from the washing line used to be a thing - I wonder if people still do it. Targetting ladies' underwear, it was called 'snowdropping'.

I think they probably needed the clothes. It was things like shorts, T-shirts and anything with a logo and more easily recognisable was left behind.

Just now, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I think they probably needed the clothes. It was things like shorts, T-shirts and anything with a logo and more easily recognisable was left behind.

Well that's sad but probably would have made you feel better that it was someone who was in need rather than someone just getting his kicks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buchhalm said:

One of my socks went missing when i use the onboard laundry. 

I was looking for one legged guys for the next week 

My brother complained of missing socks and then I noticed he had odd socks on. 😁

With everyone else, never had anything go missing on a ship.

But did get hit in Paris by the backpack pickpockets - walking near the Louvre but fortunately the young lady was seen by a Hotel concierge nearby who yelled out, and the young lass dropped my purse and ran 😮‍💨

We were warned of the same type of activity while in Barcelona, so keep belongings close, wallets in front pockets for men and just be vigilant and careful.

This was years ago and have been very alert ever since 🤔

Edited by Porky55

We have been lucky but a friend lost her wallet in Florence when a group of Roma children ran into her - she was distracted trying to read a map and didn't realise her wallet was gone. 

Also have friends whose 5 star Air BnB was targeted in Europe.

And I can empathise with MrWalker - MrAF left a pair of trousers at Machu Picchu lodge. He had to buy another pair at Inkaterra Amazonia where we went later. Back in 2012 and those trousers lasted until late last year when he discovered they don't like being ironed and they melted.

And every time we go through Cooma on the way to Jindabyne we look at a motel on the right  and say "I wonder if my shoes are still there". That was our honeymoon in 1973 and were his wedding shoes.😂

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Haha 2

My son just buys all plain black socks and then doesnt bother putting them in pairs, they all go loose in the drawer and just grabs any 2.

He figures that way they all look the same , the glimpse you see of them when someone is wearing long pants.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

We have been lucky but a friend lost her wallet in Florence when a group of Roma children ran into her - she was distracted trying to read a map and didn't realise her wallet was gone. 

Also have friends whose 5 star Air BnB was targeted in Europe.

And I can empathise with MrWalker - MrAF left a pair of trousers at Machu Picchu lodge. He had to buy another pair at Inkaterra Amazonia where we went later. Back in 2012 and those trousers lasted until late last year when he discovered they don't like being ironed and they melted.

And every time we go through Cooma on the way to Jindabyne we look at a motel on the right  and say "I wonder if my shoes are still there". That was our honeymoon in 1973 and were his wedding shoes.😂

Lol, I wonder if it is the same hotel where I left 2 bottles of champagne in the fridge back in 1985.

• Haha 3

The slashproof handbags are great. Just gives you that extra peace of mind. And you can clip them around your chair. Travelan or Pacsafe are good. 

Not stolen but had to tell funny story about hubby losing his jumper. 

Got on the ship after visiting Tauranga in New Zealand and noticed jumper was gone. 

We were returning on another cruise 3 months later. We went to the shop where we did the tour but no luck. It was his favourite jumper (sweater for US folk). 

We went to the Op shop ( thrift shop) for a look and there it was on the rack. LOL. Someone obviously found it and took it there. We told them the story and they gave it to us for half price. HAHA!

• Haha 4