Communicating onboard

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Cabin telephone/wall phone around the ship.

Sticky notes in cabin.

Making plans. "We'll meet at the R Bar at 6pm."

And you can talk face to face too.  It’s awkward for some, but it is the most efficient and effective form of communication in human history.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, topnole said:

And you can talk face to face too.  It’s awkward for some, but it is the most efficient and effective form of communication in human history.  

This is irritating.   It contains the insulting assumption that the OP is socially clueless, rather than the obvious which is that cruise ships are big and not everyone in a group are joined at the hip.   Therefore there is a need to communicate with people you can't even see.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

This is irritating.   It contains the insulting assumption that the OP is socially clueless, rather than the obvious which is that cruise ships are big and not everyone in a group are joined at the hip.   Therefore there is a need to communicate with people you can't even see.  

Well, too bad they don’t have a sarcasm font.  It’s called humor.  If you don’t get it, fine, but to suggest it insulting is ridiculous.  My goodness.  

I didn’t draft their question, but the way it was worded was begging for a humorous reply.  Ironic given it was a communication question.   

• Like 4

I would hazard to guess that the majority of responses on this site are either totally off point from the actual question, sarcastic, or some attempt at showing what an experienced/savvy cruiser the respondent is. Be that as it may, I think that is why I even browse the site; it's all very entertaining!

5 hours ago, topnole said:

Apparently it is for my wife. Me? I just nod and grunt. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While prearranged plans are good, sometimes plans can change (ex. Minor: "May I please stay longer at the arcade?" or Parent: "May I please stay longer at the bar?", or Bad Minor: "May I please stay longer at the bar?")  (Sarcasm font not found.)  🙂

Also, plans can run late for various reasons.  A backup or "live" communication method is a good idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

All kidding aside, that's what we always do. 

Yep.  I just found the wording of the question very funny.  If I thought it was from a teenager or college age adult I would darn near assume it was worded precisely to mean exactly what it says.  If we didn’t have kids, I’m guessing we would rarely want or need the wifi.  It is nice to disconnect.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Cabin telephone/wall phone around the ship.

Sticky notes in cabin.

Making plans. "We'll meet at the R Bar at 6pm."

You mean the old fashion way! How did we ever survive?

• Like 1

I prefer smoke signals and war drums. But they really disapprove of open flames while on board, and the war drums take up to much space in my luggage, so we use sticky notes in the cabin and/or direct face to face communication with a planned meetup location and time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MechE31 said:

Be warned, chat is not the most reliable. Messages often don't go through unless you manually refresh.

For sure - tried to used it on our recent cruise.  We never got notified of a new message until (if we were lucky) we opened the app.  Sometimes it was delivered the next day. 🙁