Is Carnival cruising better or worse since the restart?

Honolulu Blue

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Oh look, this thread again. Let's pretend like nothing in the world has changed, except for Carnival. Now let's also pretend that everything about cruising that we enjoyed is gone because you can't get pizza at 4 am and your room is only serviced once per day.

If you enjoy being a miserable busybody, cruising is definitely worse for you. Chances are, cruising was always worse for you as the same people always seem to complain, no matter what. Honestly, we had just as good of a time as ever on our cruises since the restart. The addition of the excel class only improved our overall experience.

It's almost like this site is called Cruise Critic or something...reading is fundamental.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TreyB said:

I see, I never knew that being a critic means that everything is negative   Wow, I guess the critics who review movies have never seen a good one. Thank you for setting us straight on the fundamentals. 

Not everything is negative, neither is everything positive. The truth, as with most things, is somewhere in the middle.

The point I am making is you shouldn't come here expecting blind praise. If that's what you want, there are plenty of places for it. In the comments of JH's posts is where I'd start.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It isn't an excuse. It's reality.

That may be true, but it's also a reality that Carnival has added more cabins to every steward so they could cut back on the number of stewards needed.  They are way overworked now and it certainly takes them longer to get them done.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That may be true, but it's also a reality that Carnival has added more cabins to every steward so they could cut back on the number of stewards needed.  They are way overworked now and it certainly takes them longer to get them done.

I think that’s the biggest thing we noticed that we really didn’t love. 
No pizza at 4am? I’m not up anyways so I don’t care. But we really noticed the change in the stewards. And it’s not their fault.. they can’t help that Carnival cut back their help and gave them more rooms. That’s the one thing that I’d like to see change back to how it was. 

There is one thing I think we can all agree on. Mustering is the one thing I always dreaded pre-covid. Standing in sweltering heat waiting for someone to show up that just didn’t care about others and their drinks more important. On those hot days, waiting…..and waiting are gone now, hopefully forever. It was a horrible way to start a cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tree.critter said:

There is one thing I think we can all agree on. Mustering is the one thing I always dreaded pre-covid. Standing in sweltering heat waiting for someone to show up that just didn’t care about others and their drinks more important. On those hot days, waiting…..and waiting are gone now, hopefully forever. It was a horrible way to start a cruise. 

The same on every line we have traveled in the past two years and appreciate it on every one!

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Oh look, this thread again. Let's pretend like nothing in the world has changed, except for Carnival. Now let's also pretend that everything about cruising that we enjoyed is gone because you can't get pizza at 4 am and your room is only serviced once per day.

If you enjoy being a miserable busybody, cruising is definitely worse for you. Chances are, cruising was always worse for you as the same people always seem to complain, no matter what. Honestly, we had just as good of a time as ever on our cruises since the restart. The addition of the excel class only improved our overall experience.

Absolutly. And honestly the changes that have happened during the past three years are probably inline with any other three year time period in the past 25 years. Love these 'new normal' people. The new normal looks about 98% the same as the old normal,,,, 🙂

• Like 2

Hi @Honolulu Blue🙂

I don't view things as better or worse. Like so many businesses, staffing, training, hiring, firing & quitting; I see things still in transition, with thousands & thousands of people working all sorts of various jobs in positions they've never performed before.

I do not believe in the 'New Normal' phrase. The height of Covid & its fury, was not that long ago. More time HAS to pass...

🍹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Absolutly. And honestly the changes that have happened during the past three years are probably inline with any other three year time period in the past 25 years. Love these 'new normal' people. The new normal looks about 98% the same as the old normal,,,, 🙂

It is true that many people have forgotten about personal hygiene and gone back to their dirty ways. On my Antarctica cruise the Captain had to given daily lectures over the PA and there was still lots of noro, covid, and God know what. It took about two days into the cruise before Lido stopped being self-service. Those who forget the past...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Not everything is negative, neither is everything positive. The truth, as with most things, is somewhere in the middle.

The point I am making is you shouldn't come here expecting blind praise. If that's what you want, there are plenty of places for it. In the comments of JH's posts is where I'd start.

Things are in the middle. Many people aren't As for JH, be thankful there is someone to correct misinformation being spread around the Internet.

• Like 1

I think it's "worst", but not enough to stop me from cruising. Sure some changes directly related to covid, but ultimately bottom line changes. My last cruising before covid was in 2019 and before that it was in 2014, almost 5 years. Just between those cruises, I noticed a certain decline of services, like no mint on the pillows or no small toiletries in the bathrooms and of course the price went up. So all kind of similar to what has happened now. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, mz-s said:

It's almost like this site is called Cruise Critic or something...reading is fundamental.

I'm well aware what the name of the site is. I've been here, reading it for 6 years now. The sky has constantly been falling for 6 years. It will continue to fall. Dare I say in that time, there have been new things I've enjoyed. 

23 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

I think that’s the biggest thing we noticed that we really didn’t love. 
No pizza at 4am? I’m not up anyways so I don’t care. But we really noticed the change in the stewards. And it’s not their fault.. they can’t help that Carnival cut back their help and gave them more rooms. That’s the one thing that I’d like to see change back to how it was. 

When does pizza stop? Is it 3 am. I planned to get a lot of pizza during my 14 days. I like carnivals white pizza.  I did vista and b2b on breeze but have dream booked. Going to miss getting lobster rolls in the fish place. Its indian tandoori on dream. Fewer pay restaurants to eat at my next carnival cruise. Wish they sold dining pkg. 

January will be here before I know it. Of course there are cutbacks. Every line is complaining. And prices higher and higher. Imgot a kick out of a post I saw, move to florida and cruise all the time cheap... florida ain't cheap any more. I think the prices are what i complain about most. Plan on moving to cape Canaveral late next year. .. and read it's the highest priced and busiest port and ships going out at a average of 110%. Lol. What a fine idea I had. Ha!

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

When does pizza stop? Is it 3 am. I planned to get a lot of pizza during my 14 days. I like carnivals white pizza.  I did vista and b2b on breeze but have dream booked. Going to miss getting lobster rolls in the fish place. Its indian tandoori on dream. Fewer pay restaurants to eat at my next carnival cruise. Wish they sold dining pkg. 

January will be here before I know it. Of course there are cutbacks. Every line is complaining. And prices higher and higher. Imgot a kick out of a post I saw, move to florida and cruise all the time cheap... florida ain't cheap any more. I think the prices are what i complain about most. Plan on moving to cape Canaveral late next year. .. and read it's the highest priced and busiest port and ships going out at a average of 110%. Lol. What a fine idea I had. Ha!

The property taxes and homeowners insurance is killer if you can get it.

That was always our dream when we retired. Now that we are less than a year from both being retired it’s not even a thought anymore. 😢

On 4/26/2023 at 6:06 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Hi everyone.  I've sailed on Carnival over a dozen times, but the last time was just before the shutdown.  My next Carnival cruise is in November, and I'd like some opinions of what I have to look forward to.  There are no wrong answers, and opinions are fine.  Just be decent to each other.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I too have a dozen cruises with Carnival. My last one before the shutdown was in the summer of 2018, (I had to cancel my one for 2019 due to health problems.)  Things had begun to change even before the shutdown but since the shutdown, the quality has declined just like in every industry. But this being said it is important to point out that the prices at least for me are less than the pre-pandemic cruises. I took two cruises last year-one in June and the other right before Thanksgiving. Together they cost about the same as my 2018 cruise. I have two booked for this year one on the Glory in June for a balcony room for three for a base price of $1900 and the second one duringThanksgiving cruise of the Spirit for a base price of $2000 for three.  I do not expect the quality to be the same at the lower prices. 

Things I have noticed that are different are the production shows are totally different with only a handful of performers, longer wait times while at the table in the main dining room, and generally lower-quality food. (although we still find good food. ) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Illbcruzn4life said:

The property taxes and homeowners insurance is killer if you can get it.

That was always our dream when we retired. Now that we are less than a year from both being retired it’s not even a thought anymore. 😢

I already bought the condo there a uber ride from the port. Yea insurance is 3 X normal. I used to live in boca raton and moved to texas to drive my parents but both passed away. My mom had a stroke this past January. I'm still dealing with paperwork and need to get thru it and taxes next year then I hope to move there permanently. 

It sounded like a good idea lol to move to a small town, oceanfront for cheap and cruise as much as I wanted. Then the cruise prices went nuts. Mardi gras is there, no cheap 7 days from carnival and wonder omg. The port says it's very popular. Lol. Wonder just was oversold for the 3rd time. Offering sweet deals for refunds and free cruise later. Rcl model of how many will cancel is off, selling too many gtys. The joke is they are more like a airline.

So my choices are much newer ships which I love. Who wouldnt want mardi gras and wonder as choices. The prices I dont love. I dont even care about service. I'm more of a foodie. Give me more food choices. Mardi gras does that. ..so newer ships are better, but not prices is my answer. Cant compare to before covid.

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I already bought the condo there a uber ride from the port. Yea insurance is 3 X normal. I used to live in boca raton and moved to texas to drive my parents but both passed away. My mom had a stroke this past January. I'm still dealing with paperwork and need to get thru it and taxes next year then I hope to move there permanently. 

It sounded like a good idea lol to move to a small town, oceanfront for cheap and cruise as much as I wanted. Then the cruise prices went nuts. Mardi gras is there, no cheap 7 days from carnival and wonder omg. The port says it's very popular. Lol. Wonder just was oversold for the 3rd time. Offering sweet deals for refunds and free cruise later. Rcl model of how many will cancel is off, selling too many gtys. The joke is they are more like a airline.

So my choices are much newer ships which I love. Who wouldnt want mardi gras and wonder as choices. The prices I dont love. I dont even care about service. I'm more of a foodie. Give me more food choices. Mardi gras does that. ..so newer ships are better, but not prices is my answer. Cant compare to before covid.

I’m sorry for your loss of your parents. 😢

Hopefully you can find some good deals in the future and good luck yo you when you finally move to Florida 100%.

I like new ships on any line and the food as well. Unfortunately they don’t come with cheap prices. I just try to book as soon as the itineraries are released as the prices usually just go up from there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I’m sorry for your loss of your parents. 😢

Hopefully you can find some good deals in the future and good luck yo you when you finally move to Florida 100%.

I like new ships on any line and the food as well. Unfortunately they don’t come with cheap prices. I just try to book as soon as the itineraries are released as the prices usually just go up from there.

Thanks. Yes it's been very hard on me, wasnt expected.  

The good thing maybe is this thread is about are things better or worse since covid. Over on rcl the threads are omg the prices. I'm seeing more than double what I booked at. I used to post here I can book rcl cheaper than carnival but rcl sure raised prices. And wonder is currently their newest ship. 

I book when  itineraries for rcl come out, but last release only booked 2, oct and dec 2024. No more deals.

Carnival is going back to being about the same to book. For me it's about prices. I love deals. They dont exist any more unless I take up gambling more seriously. Rcl has lower group prices, balcony discounts, the solo discount of another 25% but now comes out much the same. Pre covid I could book carnival about $100 a day. I didnt get to 197 pts on carnival without quite a few cruises pre covid. ..those deals are gone. Everyone has the travel bug. 

I sure hope carnival doesnt cut any more food wise. Lol I'll make my own bed if I have to. Haha. I'm solo and not messy. ..