Formal Night Question (General Food Perhaps)

Luv2CtheMouse9

We have sailed about 10 times - Disney, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal.  This will be our first Princess cruise (Enchanted).  We are going in a large group, 10 of us, 4 rooms, all family.  We are really looking forward to it.

The other cruise lines we have sailed typically have steak and lobster on formal nights.  I was looking at Princess Enchanted menus somebody posted from about 5 months ago and they all were very basic. There was nothing on any of the 8 menus they posted that was "exciting". Some of the photos of plated food were actually unappealing.  🤢  I will not go into detail.  Our last cruise, Celebrity, had basic menus and I believe they were still better than this.  Our last Carnival cruise, 2018, had better menus.

Does Princess step up their menus at all for formal night or are they as bland/boring as I assessed from my Googling?  I am sure some of this is a result of the economy and rising costs of everything, but my cruise is also quite a bit higher than we have ever paid before.  Perhaps this is an effort to get you to go to their specialty restaurants every night?  🤷‍♀️

I am not going into it with a negative attitude, just looking for other's experiences.  🙂  

Edited by Luv2CtheMouse9

We certainly do not have as many cruises under our belt as others...but I have never noticed any *significant* difference in menus on formal nights.  We sometimes do a specialty restaurant on a formal night, though.

You did not specifically say when your last cruise was...but I think you will find that *most* mainstream cruiselines have somewhat cut back on their food quality since the pandemic.  They are all hurting for cash!  But...food is VERY subjective, so you may have a different opinion, as might others.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 2

We’ve found Princess MDR food to be just okay.  Not bad, but not terrific either.  On Formal nights you might find a more elevated menu, but still nothing to rave about.  That being said, we don’t cruise for the food, so others might have more to  say.  Princess food is not quite as good as Celebrity, but that’s just our opinion for what it’s worth.  We actually dine in a specialty restaurant on formal nights and maybe one or two more nights during the cruise.  Just our preference.

I would have thought Disney and Celebrity more expensive cruise than Princess. Oh well, anyways...

On Celebrity, it used to be that one could order escargot appetizer nightly. On Princess it will only be offered on the last formal night, and I think Celebrity has Princess beat on the recipe. Also on the last formal night, lobster has been offered. You can get a second if you ask at no extra charge, they are small. Other lines are charging for seconds, I've read.  So, yes, there a little step up on formal nights.

Since Covid, Princess has dropped the partnering with Curtis Stone and Ernesto Uchimura. The Stone recipes were big comfort foods like chicken pot pies and they were really good! The Ernesto burgers were the best burgers I've ever eaten, but they are, after all, just a burger. My point is, you mention photos looked basic, your word. Photos don't convey taste. But again, these specific examples are gone.

Edited by mtnesterz

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We certainly do not have as many cruises under our belt as others...but I have never noticed any *significant* difference in menus on formal nights.  We sometimes do a specialty restaurant on a formal night, though.

You did not specifically say when your last cruise was...but I think you will find that *most* mainstream cruiselines have somewhat cut back on their food quality since the pandemic.  They are all hurting for cash!  But...food is VERY subjective, so you may have a different opinion, as might others.

Our last cruise was April 2019.   

I agree about changes due to the last 3 years.  I am paying substantially more for the same type of stateroom, also in the Caribbean.  I would expect the increase, per guest, (x 3000 give or take) would more than cover food, fuel and employment.  

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’ve found Princess MDR food to be just okay.  Not bad, but not terrific either.  On Formal nights you might find a more elevated menu, but still nothing to rave about.  That being said, we don’t cruise for the food, so others might have more to  say.  Princess food is not quite as good as Celebrity, but that’s just our opinion for what it’s worth.  We actually dine in a specialty restaurant on formal nights and maybe one or two more nights during the cruise.  Just our preference.

We have 5 men in our group - all they care about is food.  😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

My point is, you mention photos looked basic,, your word. Photos don't convery taste. 

What I actually said is that the menus posted looked basic and the photos were unappealing. 

You eat with your eyes first. 

Princess Cruises Prime Rib

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve cruised on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean before trying Princess. I like to eat; not into quantity, just flavor. I was happy with my Princess MDR meals in March. I didn’t take a lot of food photos. You judge. Portions were on the small side but flavor was excellent. The blueberry beet borscht was unique and enjoyable. The poached eggs, obviously were at breakfast. 

IMG_3038.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2873.jpeg

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Luv2CtheMouse9 said:

What I actually said is that the menus posted looked basic and the photos were unappealing. 

You eat with your eyes first. 

Princess Cruises Prime Rib

Perhaps your group would prefer the Crown Grill or even Sabatini’s.  We can always find something quite good in either one.  If your men like steak, then CG would be my suggestion.  Sorry, but that photo makes me feel nauseous.

• Like 1

One needs to realise that a few months ago logistic chains were still having problems with deliveries even to supermarkets. It seems to be improving. We will find out in a few days if the situation has improved for logistic suppliers to PCL.

I am amused by how some commenting here claim to know all about the food in the MDR on formal nights but then claim they eat in one of the "specialty" restaurants.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, brisalta said:

One needs to realise that a few months ago logistic chains were still having problems with deliveries even to supermarkets. It seems to be improving. We will find out in a few days if the situation has improved for logistic suppliers to PCL.

I am amused by how some commenting here claim to know all about the food in the MDR on formal nights but then claim they eat in one of the "specialty" restaurants.

We used to only eat in the MDR every single night, but as we became more disappointed we tried the specialty restaurants, which were a noticeable improvement.  On occasion we go back to the MDR on formal nights hoping to see something really good on the menu, but it’s just the same old, same old.  So, been there, done that many, many times.  We still eat in the MDR 6-7 nights out of  12-14 nights, and it’s fine.  Not great.

• Like 1

Formal night menus have been declining for years, long before Covid and later supply issues.  I stopped ordering lobster on Princess a long time ago because it's dinky and dry.  Don't get me started on the recent risotto and tail.  There is always something else to order on the formal night menu.

Going to Crown Grill is a great idea, but that's going to get pretty expensive with a large party.

Food pictures seldom show the dish as it is IRL.  Most things I see in these photos I have eaten, and they looked much more appetizing on the plate.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luv2CtheMouse9 said:

I am not going into it with a negative attitude, just looking for other's experiences.  🙂  

Unless you're extremely fussy we found most of the selections in the DR on the Enchanted to be pretty good. Yes, they've cut back on the cut of beef but on formal nights I doubt if many would complain. We never go to the buffet or specialty restaurants on a formal night since it's always when they have their better dishes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We used to only eat in the MDR every single night, but as we became more disappointed we tried the specialty restaurants, which were a noticeable improvement.  On occasion we go back to the MDR on formal nights hoping to see something really good on the menu, but it’s just the same old, same old.  So, been there, done that many, many times.  We still eat in the MDR 6-7 nights out of  12-14 nights, and it’s fine.  Not great.

Specialty menus do not change at all. I find that to be pretty boring as well. I can see maybe 2-3 specialty dinners or maybe sushi one night if I am on a ship that has a good sushi bar

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

Specialty menus do not change at all. I find that to be pretty boring as well. I can see maybe 2-3 specialty dinners or maybe sushi one night if I am on a ship that has a good sushi bar

You are so right!  The specialty restaurants do get boring, too.  If only the MDRs on Princess ships had consistently good food every night like they did a few years ago, we’d be very happy.  On Celebrity ships we rarely dine in a specialty restaurant because the food in the MDR suits us perfectly.  

• Like 1

I'll leave the dress code stuff to the usual naysayers. The food in Princess is pretty subjective. If you're gourmet like us(after all we're in the food industry) You'll cruise Princess for the excursions & itineraries & not the food.Having an Ultimate Balcony dinner we know how capable Princess can be. For those of us in the suites & Reserve mini suites(Club Class) this IS what we should be getting for the much higher price than standard cabins. All we get are larger rooms & priority boarding. What we do to compensate is order items from Crown Grill or Sabatini's. Those restaurants still don't hold a candle to the specialties on lines such as Celebrity. Either way we do get better quality without having to pay full admission to those spots. For quality food this is the reason we cruise Oceania most of all. The largest amount of new pax we've met on board are former Princess cruisers who have tired of the trashy art sales/intrusive photographers/crappy sidewalk sales of really trashy junk. Still however, we love the staff who really try their best to please & whose kindness & politeness are the best of ANY line we've cruised. We cruise once a year. Usually at least 14 days. Normally we do about 3 cruises on Oceania & one on Princess. I'm really waiting to see if the new Sunclass is willing to up their game.There really needs to be a restaurant dedicated to those in higher accommodations like on Celebrity/MSC/NCL/Cunard.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1

usually the last formal night has the fanciest food (lobster, the wrapped in puff pastry & such beef that I can't remember the name of, escargot, baked alaska)...we have cruised 4 times since the restart & although there is less beef offered it has been very good & my BIL has been particularly happy as there is more & better seafood than before which he loves...our recent 15 day to Hawai'i on the Crown the menus had a lot of variety & some nice new offerings...the kitchen & dining departments had some issues, but the food was pretty consistently good but rarely great

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Luv2CtheMouse9 said:

We have sailed about 10 times - Disney, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal.  This will be our first Princess cruise (Enchanted).  We are going in a large group, 10 of us, 4 rooms, all family.  We are really looking forward to it.

The other cruise lines we have sailed typically have steak and lobster on formal nights.  I was looking at Princess Enchanted menus somebody posted from about 5 months ago and they all were very basic. There was nothing on any of the 8 menus they posted that was "exciting". Some of the photos of plated food were actually unappealing.  🤢  I will not go into detail.  Our last cruise, Celebrity, had basic menus and I believe they were still better than this.  Our last Carnival cruise, 2018, had better menus.

Does Princess step up their menus at all for formal night or are they as bland/boring as I assessed from my Googling?  I am sure some of this is a result of the economy and rising costs of everything, but my cruise is also quite a bit higher than we have ever paid before.  Perhaps this is an effort to get you to go to their specialty restaurants every night?  🤷‍♀️

I am not one to get too excited about the MDR in general. Most of our cruises the last several years have been Princess or NCL. Usually there is not alot that interests me, but I can always get chicken or salmon, or I used to get the fettuccini (now replaced by Lasagna) from the everyday menu topped with chicken. We may only go to the MDR a couple nights on a 7 day cruise.  I think you will have to judge for yourself. We like Gigis and usually eat at Crown Grill (specialty dining) one night, along with the Marktplace. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Perhaps your group would prefer the Crown Grill or even Sabatini’s.  We can always find something quite good in either one.  If your men like steak, then CG would be my suggestion.  Sorry, but that photo makes me feel nauseous.

We do plan to visit a few on the cruise, but not the whole group.  For 10 days, that would be very costly.  

And I agree about the photo.   Ick! 

Edited by Luv2CtheMouse9
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I’ve cruised on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean before trying Princess. I like to eat; not into quantity, just flavor. I was happy with my Princess MDR meals in March. I didn’t take a lot of food photos. You judge. Portions were on the small side but flavor was excellent. The blueberry beet borscht was unique and enjoyable. The poached eggs, obviously were at breakfast. 

Thank you, BamaVol.  😍

41 minutes ago, rbtan said:

The largest amount of new pax we've met on board are former Princess cruisers who have tired of the trashy art sales/intrusive photographers/crappy sidewalk sales of really trashy junk.

I totally agree with you, but we have been on three Princess cruises in the last 18 months,  and apart from the easily avoided art sales (just why do people but that tat ?) we have not experienced anything you have mentioned. 

I was on the Ruby Princess for seven days in March and they had steak and lobster the last night of the cruise. Also had baked Alaska. I though both the MDR and the buffet were good to very good.

I was on Jewel of the Seas over Christmas and will say Royal had more choices but was inconsistent. I had two meals in the MDR that were both cold and over cooked. The buffet was good.

We were on Sky in April and were somewhat bemused by the offerings in the MDR. (See my highly rated "Jottings" post for full details). 

Meals in the MDR included sausages, Irish stew, and, bizarrely,  bubble and squeak (fried left over potatoes and cabbage for our American friends).  Fine for the buffet, but not the MDR. 

We still ate reasonably well, but on most evenings our choice was limited to two courses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I totally agree with you, but we have been on three Princess cruises in the last 18 months,  and apart from the easily avoided art sales (just why do people but that tat ?) we have not experienced anything you have mentioned. 

Roflmao GIFs | Tenor

Oh wait ...😯