Galveston drink menu for day one?

Woody14

48 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Sorry I’m not following. There’s a different bar menu on the first day? And why? I know cheers isn’t available on the first day due to Texas laws. But I hadn’t heard of this. 

I may be a little off with the technicalities but I believe Texas law requires that only alcohol sold by Texas alcohol distributors can be sold in a Texas port. Also Cheers is not effective in port due to this law as well as the alcohol restrictions. Other cruise lines deal with it differently thus allowing the use of drink packages on day one. Again this may be off a little but is the basics. 

5 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I may be a little off with the technicalities but I believe Texas law requires that only alcohol sold by Texas alcohol distributors can be sold in a Texas port.

Close.  Unlike all the other liquor that is used onboard the ship, which has no state liquor tax paid on it, when in Texas waters, only liquor that has had the state liquor tax paid (those little strips of paper over the cap), can be sold.  So, since the cruise line doesn't want to pay a higher price for liquor that won't be consumed outside of Texas, they buy a limited stock of taxed liquor, and hence the menu is limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As usual @chengkp75nails it. I've literally been at the atrium bar when all the Texas bottles get packed up and put in storage and all the 'regular' bottles get brought out and the beer tapper handles installed making tap beer available. Our wonderful bartender up on Serenity accidentally forgot that we weren't yet in international waters when my DW ordered a Truly so had to wait to process the charge until the next morning.  No problem we told her.  What a nightmare that whole charade is.    

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Close.  Unlike all the other liquor that is used onboard the ship, which has no state liquor tax paid on it, when in Texas waters, only liquor that has had the state liquor tax paid (those little strips of paper over the cap), can be sold.  So, since the cruise line doesn't want to pay a higher price for liquor that won't be consumed outside of Texas, they buy a limited stock of taxed liquor, and hence the menu is limited.

Such a strange law! Learned something new. We went on our first cruise out of Galveston years ago, but since it was our first cruise I don’t think I even noticed. 

51 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Such a strange law! Learned something new. We went on our first cruise out of Galveston years ago, but since it was our first cruise I don’t think I even noticed. 

The law itself is not strange, every state (except NH and Wyoming, in which only the state can sell liquor) has a state liquor tax, that the distiller/brewer/distributor pays when they bring the liquor into the state (and get those funny little seals).  What is somewhat unique to Texas, is that they enforce this on foreign flag cruise ships, which they are allowed to do by international law, where other states don't bother, but may charge sales tax on each drink.

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

which they are allowed to do by international law

So how are they getting away with it? The cruise lines just put up with it because they'd rather not "rock the boat" so to speak?

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

So how are they getting away with it? The cruise lines just put up with it because they'd rather not "rock the boat" so to speak?

Not sure what you mean by "get away with it".  International law says that when a foreign flag ship is in port, the local laws (port state) only apply to activities "exterior" to the ship, meaning things like pollution, taxes on commerce (sales or liquor taxes), customs duties, or anything that affects the "safety or well being" of the port state.  So, Texas has decided to exercise their legal right to require all liquor sold to have paid their tax.  Other states do not exercise their right.  Since it is a legal right, Texas is not "getting away with" anything.  If the cruise lines were to say, "well, we don't pay this in other states", first off, each state is allowed to make their own laws, however different from other states, and secondly, the state could say that no liquor could be sold onboard, while the ship is in Texas waters (out to 3 miles from shore).  The ship gets a state or local liquor license to sell liquor just like any bar in Texas, and that license can be revoked if found to be selling liquor without a tax stamp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what you mean by "get away with it".  International law says that when a foreign flag ship is in port, the local laws (port state) only apply to activities "exterior" to the ship, meaning things like pollution, taxes on commerce (sales or liquor taxes), customs duties, or anything that affects the "safety or well being" of the port state.  So, Texas has decided to exercise their legal right to require all liquor sold to have paid their tax.  Other states do not exercise their right.  Since it is a legal right, Texas is not "getting away with" anything.  If the cruise lines were to say, "well, we don't pay this in other states", first off, each state is allowed to make their own laws, however different from other states, and secondly, the state could say that no liquor could be sold onboard, while the ship is in Texas waters (out to 3 miles from shore).  The ship gets a state or local liquor license to sell liquor just like any bar in Texas, and that license can be revoked if found to be selling liquor without a tax stamp.

Sorry I read it differently in my mind the first time, thanks. I need to read more carefully.

Another thing Texas does is require tax be paid on the duty free alcohol purchased on the ships and on the islands. There is a table at the port that you are directed to so you can pay. This includes those whose next stop is the airport for their flight out of state.

41 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Another thing Texas does is require tax be paid on the duty free alcohol purchased on the ships and on the islands. There is a table at the port that you are directed to so you can pay. This includes those whose next stop is the airport for their flight out of state.

A bi-directional money grab. They tax liquor in transit not destined for the state.

Texas doesn't apply the tax (they are careful not to call it a duty) to people relocating to the state. That limit is unlimited.

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Lol because of a few different brands of liquor in texas waters you wouldnt sail out if Galveston.  How bizarre.  

Btw on royal they do have the drink pkg when you board and my free vouchers. They do however also use texas liquor until international waters. Just carnival waits to let you use the pkg. It's a money decision imo and for sure wouldnt affect which cruise I booked. 

I cant imagine people who need drinks so bad with their cheers pkg they would skip a good cruise over it. Some die hard drinkers. ..since it's not like carnival doesnt allow you to drink. 

Cant wait for my dream 14 day cruise. 1 day cheers doesnt work for sure doesnt matter to me. Wish there were more like you so jubilee price goes down. 

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol because of a few different brands of liquor in texas waters you wouldnt sail out if Galveston.  How bizarre.  

Btw on royal they do have the drink pkg when you board and my free vouchers. They do however also use texas liquor until international waters. Just carnival waits to let you use the pkg. It's a money decision imo and for sure wouldnt affect which cruise I booked. 

I cant imagine people who need drinks so bad with their cheers pkg they would skip a good cruise over it. Some die hard drinkers. ..since it's not like carnival doesnt allow you to drink. 

Cant wait for my dream 14 day cruise. 1 day cheers doesnt work for sure doesnt matter to me. Wish there were more like you so jubilee price goes down. 

I never said I wouldn't cruise out of Galveston. I think you quoted the wrong person. I also generally don't buy drinks packages, however if it's included will happily use it.