How would you rate the Special Restaurants on Koningsdam

mcrcruiser

Back in December we dined lunch in Pinnacle  & Dinners in Canaletto & Tamarind . Pinnacle was ok but not fantastic ,Out of all 3 we felt that Canaletto was the best . Tamarind was just passable not  as good as we had on  Eurodam,several years back

We are booked on a 18 night  & 14 night cruises on Koningsdam ,so we will appreciate your opinions

TIA

On the Konigsdam, my ranking of restaurants is Sel de Mer (outstanding in food and service), Tamarind (excellent in food and service), Canaletto  (excellent in food and service), and Pinnacle Grill (failing in both food and service). I travel solo and dine when the restaurants first open and for those reasons I think service is better for me. Except in the PG which for some reason cannot seem to get its act together. I have been on this ship twice and generally eat all dinners in specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

Tamarind was excellent.  We went twice on our last cruise.  The shining star is however not any specialty restaurant but the Dutch Cafe.  Quick delicious bites are minutes away and the ladies staffing it are actually DUTCH!  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/dining/grand-dutch-cafe.html

Edited by curtdesilets
added website

3 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

Tamarind was excellent.  We went twice on our last cruise.  The shining star is however not any specialty restaurant but the Dutch Cafe.  Quick delicious bites are minutes away and the ladies staffing it are actually DUTCH!  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/dining/grand-dutch-cafe.html

Ah that us interesting you brought  the   Dutch Cafe  into the picture . We have never had any food there just coffee & it was very good.Thanks for that add on .

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Ah that us interesting you brought  the   Dutch Cafe  into the picture . We have never had any food there just coffee & it was very good.Thanks for that add on .

The captain and several top brass crew were there usually on port days after many got off the ship. The Pea Soup is great.  I tried to test all of the samplings.  It is DEFINITELY DUTCH food.  In fact since it is free, I would go DUTCH on the bill.  Sorry, bad jokes are my specialty. 

Edited by curtdesilets
added a bad joke
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

The captain and several top brass crew were there usually on port days after many got off the ship. The Pea Soup is great.  I tried to test all of the samplings.  It is DEFINITELY DUTCH food.  In fact since it is free, I would go DUTCH on the bill.  Sorry, bad jokes are my specialty. 

LOL 🤣😂

Edited by mcrcruiser

Konigsdam - Holiday cruise - 2022-2023

1. Canaletto***

2. Sushi Bar - fresh and well priced

3. Tamarind - for lovely ambiance only, not the food - disappointing

4. Pinnacle - low points all around- service and food

5. Sel de Mer - perfectly awful from start to finish, one and done, newer again

Gelato Bar at Lido Pool area  -small  surcharge - excellent

Tried the Dutch Cafe several times, trying the highly recommended items made here -- meh. Don't see what the fuss is about - it was okay, but after a few tries we never went back.  

Nice to have this lower decks midship location open for food and it is a good attempt to be different. But the food itself never drew us back. We actually like the quality and variety of the Lido Buffet. And we always book a cabin, that gives us quick access to the Lido, so that remains our go-to spot for casual pick up food.

We will change the scene and continue to use our Mariner's free specialty restaurant bonus meals, but MDR and Lido Buffet are hard to beat ....esp. for the price. (free)

Spent 50 days on the Rotterdam last fall. Managed to avoid the MDR for the total. Twice in the Pinnacle and will never return, especially on the Pinnacle class ships. Will give it another try on the Vista Class ships this summer.

Tamarind I liked, the wife didn't. I lost out after three tries. Probably ate in the Canaletto 3 times a week. Had to cut back at the end as the staff were becoming "to friendly". Food and service were great. My "go to" was the New York Deli. Might grab something there for dinner or bring it up from the Lido. Usually empty and quite with a bar to ourselves.

We were on the Koningsdam in April, and our ranking was:

Nami sushi: a la cart choice was nice, as was the sushi.

Tamarind: some amazing dishes here (we wanted to do it again).

Canalettos: we did this family style, sharing dishes (everyone enjoyed it).

Pinnacle: great food, okay service, but the portions were far too big.

Rudy's would be up there, but we didn't do it on that last trip. Portions at Rudy's are also huge.

The Dutch Cafe is pretty great, a little bit weird, but worth doing. There are a few desserts that are fantastic. We also found the food here better in April versus November or August of last year. Also: try the fries and peanut sauce just for something completely different.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:52 AM, aa7yy said:

Spent 50 days on the Rotterdam last fall. Managed to avoid the MDR for the total. Twice in the Pinnacle and will never return, especially on the Pinnacle class ships. Will give it another try on the Vista Class ships this summer.

Tamarind I liked, the wife didn't. I lost out after three tries. Probably ate in the Canaletto 3 times a week. Had to cut back at the end as the staff were becoming "to friendly". Food and service were great. My "go to" was the New York Deli. Might grab something there for dinner or bring it up from the Lido. Usually empty and quite with a bar to ourselves.

NY Deli is great.  The Corned Beef Sandwiches, Reubens, Salads and Pizza were all excellent.  You are right,  maybe because of it's location tucked around the corner on the upper level of the pool deck, the lines were rarely long unlike the Burger Joint (Daves). 

26 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

NY Deli is great.  The Corned Beef Sandwiches, Reubens, Salads and Pizza were all excellent.  You are right,  maybe because of it's location tucked around the corner on the upper level of the pool deck, the lines were rarely long unlike the Burger Joint (Daves). 

Can you tell me if NY Deli was open on Embarkation day?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

It was packed on the koningsdam in December & January.  Tables not cleared - a mess.  Another day it was totally different and as you describe - much better.

6 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Can you tell me if NY Deli was open on Embarkation day?

Thanks!

It was when I was on.  

2 hours ago, curtdesilets said:

The burger restaurant is The Dive In.

We love the Pizza  & sand which on the deck over looking the pool , /We has lunch there more than once

Glad to hear that it is open on embarkation day  ,a good place to go after dropping off luggage😀

Just got off this morning. Both Tamarind and Rudi’s were fabulous. You could get 3 appetizers per couple at each restaurant which was appreciated because they both had such great choices. Rudi’s was a lot of food!  We also went to Canaletto. It was good, but not my fav although their beef carpaccio was really good.

Also enjoyed Dive In although it was super busy. Deli was also good and made a great rueben.