Best way to get to Rotterdam

Tampa Girl

We just booked an 18-day cruise from Rotterdam to Boston and have discovered that air service to Rotterdam is very limited.  Flight Ease doesn't recognize it.   So, I guess we fly into Amsterdam and visit there for a couple of days.  My question, however, is whether we dare take a chance, since Rotterdam is about a 1-1/4 hr. drive from Amsterdam, whether we dare wait until the morning of the cruise to drive to drive to the port.  Otherwise, it will require two hotel check-in's.  Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

We just booked an 18-day cruise from Rotterdam to Boston and have discovered that air service to Rotterdam is very limited.  Flight Ease doesn't recognize it.   So, I guess we fly into Amsterdam and visit there for a couple of days.  My question, however, is whether we dare take a chance, since Rotterdam is about a 1-1/4 hr. drive from Amsterdam, whether we dare wait until the morning of the cruise to drive to drive to the port.  Otherwise, it will require two hotel check-in's.  Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks

I don’t think you will have any problem at all.  A lot of our roll call members had private transfers when we arrived in Rotterdam and no issue at all getting to Amsterdam / airport.

But, FWIW Rotterdam is a pretty city.  And HAL’s original headquarters and the old Rotterdam (now a floating hotel)  are there.  

There is also a train that gets there quickly but that means schlepping luggage.  In my experience, you’ll be fine leaving the day of - just leave a bit earlier to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

The airport for Rotterdam is Schipol which serves Amsterdam. It's about halfway between Rotterdam and Amsterdam. You can fly there and stay in Amsterdam or Rotterdam. I booked a hotel in Amsterdam for two nights prior to departure through Holland America for my cruise out of Rotterdam. They provided transfers from Schipol to the hotel in Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam to Rotterdam in time for boarding. It's really not that far between the two cities. 

16 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

We did the same thing - a few days in Amsterdam, and took the train to Rotterdam on departure day - very easy if you don't have too much luggage to handle.

Various ways to get to the port after arriving in Rotterdam - there is public transit from the Rotterdam train station, as well as a taxi -great to share the costs with any other cruise passengers who are looking for the same connection.

Our biggest hang up once when leaving the ship in Rotterdam for a few days traveling around Holland,  was not having the right change for the metro and on a Sunday morning, no way to get it nor did it take our credit cards - needed a Dutch bank only. a the time.  But you can get that worked out while you are in Amsterdam ahead of time.

9 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Our biggest hang up once when leaving the ship in Rotterdam for a few days traveling around Holland,  was not having the right change for the metro and on a Sunday morning, no way to get it nor did it take our credit cards - needed a Dutch bank only. a the time.  But you can get that worked out while you are in Amsterdam ahead of time.

When was this? We land at AMS next month, and will be taking train to Amsterdam Centraale station. Figured on just buying train tickets ( a little over 5 euros pp) using credit card. We will bring euros from home, but not exact change.

Your answers are immensely helpful and reassuring.  I am thinking of spending a couple of days in Amsterdam and the hiring a guide to drive us to Rotterdam.  Would a brief car tour of the latter be sufficient just prior to embarkation or does Rotterdam need a couple of days?

11 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Your answers are immensely helpful and reassuring.  I am thinking of spending a couple of days in Amsterdam and the hiring a guide to drive us to Rotterdam.  Would a brief car tour of the latter be sufficient just prior to embarkation or does Rotterdam need a couple of days?

Last I was in Amsterdam I hired a guide and we went off to the “wilds” of northern Holland.  Other places to consider are Gouda and/or Delft.  These are easy day trips and still get you to the ship on time.  I assume the ship is sailing at 5? 

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Oh that’s a toughie - you can never see everything in Amsterdam and Rotterdam with just a few days.  If you want to go to Kinderdijk, then you’ll need to allow for an extra day.  But if you want to do the highlights of Rotterdam proper - perhaps get out for a moment at Hotel New York and the Rotterdam (ship) you could do a nice overview on embarkation day.  Leave your hotel in Amsterdam around 9 AM and see some of the sights.  

I find it very very peculiar that Rotterdam transit only takes credit cards from Dutch banks.  The Netherlands is part of the eurozone and Rotterdam is an international destination.  When I was in Amsterdam last December I had no problem using American credit cards.  Some places didn't take amex but Mastercard and Visa were accepted everywhere.  As a result of Covid,  many businesses are cashless. 

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Last I was in Amsterdam I hired a guide and we went off to the “wilds” of northern Holland.  Other places to consider are Gouda and/or Delft.  These are easy day trips and still get you to the ship on time.  I assume the ship is sailing at 5? 

Yes.  Between the two cities, how would you recommend splitting the time if we were going to fly to AMS three or 4 days before sailing

59 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh that’s a toughie - you can never see everything in Amsterdam and Rotterdam with just a few days.  If you want to go to Kinderdijk, then you’ll need to allow for an extra day.  But if you want to do the highlights of Rotterdam proper - perhaps get out for a moment at Hotel New York and the Rotterdam (ship) you could do a nice overview on embarkation day.  Leave your hotel in Amsterdam around 9 AM and see some of the sights.  

Kinderdijk?

24 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Yes.  Between the two cities, how would you recommend splitting the time if we were going to fly to AMS three or 4 days before sailing

It depends.  Both Amsterdam and Rotterdam are big cities which I tire of quickly.  Choose the things you want to see and schedule accordingly.   I much prefer the smaller cities.  Last visit I spent one day and one full evening at the must see sights in Amsterdam, one day walking a more neighborhood like part of town and a  quarter day at the outdoor markets. I spent half a day biking the surrounding Amsterdam countryside. You can pick up a bus tour or train in Amsterdam to go to Gouda for the afternoon, you could spend more time but a half day will give you the flavor.  Ditto Delft.  Some people love Rotterdam.  It is noted for its post WWII construction as it was destroyed during the war.  You can pick up a water taxi there to go to Kinderdjik.  A bike is a good way to wander the Kinderdjik.  If you are in season, spring, going to the gardens is a great idea (I do love gardens but so do the Dutch)

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

When was this? We land at AMS next month, and will be taking train to Amsterdam Centraale station. Figured on just buying train tickets ( a little over 5 euros pp) using credit card. We will bring euros from home, but not exact change.

This was a few years  before "covid" on our Voyage of the Vikings turnaround stop.

Euros will be fine. Coins, not bills. We finally had to go buy something in a little store at the port to get some EU coins in change to use the surface trams instead of the underground, to get to the train station. We had to totally give up on the underground at the port.

The Dutch public transit website was the source of the bad news about using Dutch Bank credit cards only, at that time, re-confirmed here by a local poster. Good to check this out up front. Hope it has changed.

Our first trip by train from AMS to Rotterdam was the first time we encountered needing a chip and pin card, which at the time (long ago) we did not have either. Couldn't understand why our credit card did not work- until a very nice local helped us out.

Oh, we backwards Americans, had never heard of a chip and pin card at the time. Now many things are controlled by the newer tap cards. But from what banks?

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

This was a few years  before "covid" on our Voyage of the Vikings turnaround stop.

Euros will be fine. Coins, not bills. We finally had to go buy something in a little store at the port to get some EU coins in change to use the surface trams instead of the underground, to get to the train station. We had to totally give up on the underground at the port.

The Dutch public transit website was the source of the bad news about using Dutch Bank credit cards only, at that time, re-confirmed here by a local poster. Good to check this out up front. Hope it has changed.

Our first trip by train from AMS to Rotterdam was the first time we encountered needing a chip and pin card, which at the time (long ago) we did not have either. Couldn't understand why our credit card did not work- until a very nice local helped us out.

Oh, we backwards Americans, had never heard of a chip and pin card at the time. Now many things are controlled by the newer tap cards. But from what banks?

If you have a newer chip card your bank can provide you with a pin.  

We sail from Rotterdam in September, flying into the only airport that serves both Rotterdam and Amsterdam, Schiphol.  We will stay for 3 nights in Ams and then have a private transport booked to Rotterdam the morning of embarkation for our group of 4.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@OlsSalt, US credit cards are set to not require PIN numbers. Most European vendors knowthis.

I agree but I ran into problems in South America.  After one fail I called the bank and got a pin. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

@OlsSalt, US credit cards are set to not require PIN numbers. Most European vendors knowthis.

True but most of the world has chip and pin cards.  Not all vendors can accommodate those that don’t.  I would recommend getting a pin if you have a chip card.  Makes life a lot easier when travelling IMO.   It’s a non issue for me as a Canadian as we have had them for years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not my comment. This information belongs to someone else. 

My advice remains:  check what forms of payment you can use ahead of time for transit to Rotterdam. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roz said:

I find it very very peculiar that Rotterdam transit only takes credit cards from Dutch banks.  The Netherlands is part of the eurozone and Rotterdam is an international destination.  When I was in Amsterdam last December I had no problem using American credit cards.  Some places didn't take amex but Mastercard and Visa were accepted everywhere.  As a result of Covid,  many businesses are cashless. 

I think the issue may be like the UK in the Netherlands they use chip and pin system where you will be asked to input your PIN number which is usually a 4 digit code. If you card doesn’t have one you will need to buy from a kiosk or insert cash. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I think the issue may be like the UK in the Netherlands they use chip and pin system where you will be asked to input your PIN number which is usually a 4 digit code. If you card doesn’t have one you will need to buy from a kiosk or insert cash. 

I’m glad you mentioned this.  Here you can have a 4, 5 or 6 digit pin.  It is HIGHLY recommended that your pin only be 4 digits for Europe.  they re easy to change if that is not the case 😉 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We just booked an 18-day cruise from Rotterdam to Boston and have discovered that air service to Rotterdam is very limited.  Flight Ease doesn't recognize it.   So, I guess we fly into Amsterdam and visit there for a couple of days…Any suggestions welcome….

We have flown to Rotterdam with a layover and change of airport in London before, but it’s much more convenient to fly the non-stop to AMS. (We use the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam). We’ve also used Paris and Brussels airports, visiting those cities pre-or-post-cruise and taken the train to or from Rotterdam.

Have been to Europe 10 or 12 times. We travel with two US credit cards, one with a PIN, one without. One time, in all those trips, have we been required to use the card with a PIN, and that was at a train station ticket vending machine. Nowhere else. Will be arriving at AMS is 5 weeks, and taking a train to AMS city. 

We were in Copenhagen last July. Nowhere required a PIN. None even asked about a PIN. It seems the US credit cards still indicate to card readers that a PIN is not required. This winter I upgraded our main credit to "tapable" and no foreign transaction fees, and the process didn't offer the chance to get a PIN.