Port or Starboard side?

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

POSH…port out starboard in.

'Port Out, Starboard HOME' was an acronym for the better side of the ship for Brits going to the Middle East in the days before ships were airconditioned. Doesn't apply these days. 😁

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

POSH…port out starboard in.

Port Out Starboard Home

IIRC, from the days when liners went from Europe to the USA and back to have a cabin on the "sunny" side cost more.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. With the 'clockwise' itinerary, if you have a balcony the starboard side is much better. For views while in the Sounds, up top, particularly at the front of the ship is better. This applies particularly to the entry into Milford Sound. For the 90 mins to 2 hours between the Sounds, there are lovely views of the coast. If you have a balcony cabin on the starboard side, you can relax there and take in the views. It is worthwhile to go up top (to near the front of the ship) for the sail-in to Milford Sound. Then you can return to your balcony to take in the views in more comfort.

Good to know! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

'Port Out, Starboard HOME' was an acronym for the better side of the ship for Brits going to the Middle East in the days before ships were airconditioned. Doesn't apply these days. 😁

Yes ... and no. After two Celebrity Auckland to Sydney cruises (NZ clockwise) with port side cabins we managed to book a starboard cabin in our preferred location for third. Our cabin was a lot warmer in the evenings than on the previous cruises and I was unable to get it as cool as I liked for sleeping. That cruise started in late March so more sun was hitting the cabin in the late afternoon / early evening as we cruised down the NZ coast. However I also suspect either our cabin air-con wasn't working as well as on previous cruises or Celebrity were economising.

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes ... and no. After two Celebrity Auckland to Sydney cruises (NZ clockwise) with port side cabins we managed to book a starboard cabin in our preferred location for third. Our cabin was a lot warmer in the evenings than on the previous cruises and I was unable to get it as cool as I liked for sleeping. That cruise started in late March so more sun was hitting the cabin in the late afternoon / early evening as we cruised down the NZ coast. However I also suspect either our cabin air-con wasn't working as well as on previous cruises or Celebrity were economising.

I noticed which side mattered cruising from Europe to the USA depending when you wanted sun in your cabin.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Aft? This way you see both sides at once? Has anyone stayed Aft for this very reason?

I have avoided those cabins because they are at the very back of the ship (obviously) and I suspect the motion in heavy seas would be much greater.

13 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

On any cruise I've been on, when the ship is offshore the land is almost always far enough away that you need a good pair of binoculars to tell what you are looking at.

When we cruised from Singapore to Sydney we had a good view of the Coastline. I was surprised to see a bigger ship closer to the shore.  We also saw where the passengers on the ships landed for GBR.  I did have binoculars for a closer look but we just lived on the deck.

Just now, MMDown Under said:

When we cruised from Singapore to Sydney we had a good view of the Coastline. I was surprised to see a bigger ship closer to the shore.  We also saw where the passengers on the ships landed for GBR.  I did have binoculars for a closer look but we just lived on the deck.

Ocean Princess 2012.  Fabulous ship for that coastal cruise.  I’d go again.

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I have avoided those cabins because they are at the very back of the ship (obviously) and I suspect the motion in heavy seas would be much greater.

It gets a bit see-sawish when it gets really rough, but quite comfortable in moderate to high seas. We aren't susceptible to seasickness, so it isn't much of a consideration for us. If we are booking a side facing balcony, we aim for something near the aft lifts as they are both comfortable and convenient.

Aft facing balconies are more expensive, so that is a consideration.

Aft facing balconies require a lot of extra walking too/from, so that is a consideration.

We haven't booked any aft facng cabins for the view to both sides.

Having said that, aft facing balconies are awesome - great view of the wake and sheltered from the ship-generated wind and a fantastic spot for sail-in/sail-out of port.

20 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

On any cruise I've been on, when the ship is offshore the land is almost always far enough away that you need a good pair of binoculars to tell what you are looking at.

I was surprised at how good the coastal view was, with no need to use my good binoculars,  which I had with me.  Good enough for me to identify landmarks.  At one stage there was a bigger ship closer to the Coast, much to my surprise. 

21 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

We have travelled in aft facing cabin on two occasions, and had no issues with motion in that location, maybe different in really heavy seas, but a few of the days were quite rough but the ship stabilisers seemed to cope quite well. can be a little more movement right up front, but that didn't cause us much discomfort either.

It does get a little noisy at the back, but the views especially when leaving ports, the views are spectacular.