Zaandam Cabins with showers

MUD

We have reservations for Zaandam cabin 1873. It is listed as shower only but not handicapped. Zaandam has several cabins listed similar to the one we have. Does anyone know what the shower is like and if the designation is in fact accurate?

We were just on Zaandam cabin 1877.Shower was bad, old tile that was cracked, very small with shower curtain.We had an issue with small bugs coming tru cracks,took pictures to finally get them to come and spray for them.Water was hot and pressure was ok.It looked like some cabins had been updated,our cruise was packed so no room movement at all.

Last fall I enjoyed inside cabin 2676 for 71 days.

It had a shower, not handicapped, but with a couple of grab bars.  Shower head removable for hand use.  Shower curtain.  No water problems.

Barbara

• Thanks 1

That is an updated shower, ours was the old small tiles that were in bad shape. The bathroom also had the old style hair dryer on the wall.I liked it, DW not so much, lol.

We just debarked yesterday and wanted to add that there is a roughly 3" lip to step over to keep the water in the shower area. Not sure if that is of any concern. Thankfully our cabin was well maintained and we encountered no issues.

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the lip on the floor. I believe we had the older style bathroom.

P1030009.JPG

P1030008.JPG

4 hours ago, 00649 said:

We were just on Zaandam cabin 1877.

That's an inside cabin; OP is asking about a shower in an outside cabin. They aren't the same. 
IIRC, some of the outside cabins were changed from a tub w/shower to shower only. Those outsides have the shower in the same footprint as the tub used to be, so are larger than the showers in the inside cabins. 

Personally, I have been in insides on all the S- and R-class many times, and find them more than an adequate size. The tiles are not what I would choose for my own home, but they do stay on the walls, and are sealed well enough. The tile floor in the shower is not at all slippery, and that matters a lot to me! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Zaandam last month in an outside cabin on deck 2. The shower was very nice. There were grab bars and a glass door. Also a small lip to step over to get into the shower (2-3" maybe). 

We were killing several bugs everyday coming from  the cracks. We reported to guest service but had no response . I then took a video of them and that got some action.They showed up with insecticide and bugs never came back. 

One of the only frustrating things about this ship is this situation.  When you look at the deck plans for Zaandam and Volendam, you realize Volendam had all of her bathrooms redone (all standard outside rooms on Volendam have showers - they originally had bathtubs).  They only did certain rooms on Zaandam, and it isn’t always easy to tell. For sure, any standard outside room on Zaandam that indicates shower only had the bathroom renovated.  For example, Cat D on Deck 3 marked with an “*”  Also, all the Cat C rooms were redone.  All insides were always shower only - some have been redone and some have not, and it’s not easy to tell which were done and which weren’t short of someone telling you based on their eyewitness account.  I will say that the photos shown above are an egregious exception (and not the rule, thank goodness), but you can see why they went the route of renovating these bathrooms.  Aside from the repair issues, it really updates the look of the ship.   I sure wouldn’t have been happy if that was my room!

I know the leadership on the ship thinks they should have done them all and are frustrated that they hadn’t all been done.  Based on the conversations I heard on board and the current state of the company, I would expect Zaandam and Volendam to be around for at least another 5 years, since there are no rebuilds for HAL for the foreseeable future, and these ships can go places others can’t.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...