Flights by Celebrity and Air Canada frustration

PennStateMom

We booked one way tickets from Pittsburgh to Vancouver last July when Celebrity was running an airfare credit promotion.  Originally, the flight was to arrive at 11:36 pm on Thursday night, the day before the cruise.  I booked a nearby hotel with a shuttle that runs until 12:30 am.  Three times Air Canada has changed the flight arrival time, moving it later until now we are arriving at 12:51 am Friday morning, so now we will have to pay for a taxi/uber to the hotel.  Three times I have requested Flights by Celebrity to ask Air Canada to change our flights to arrive  before midnight and three times Air Canada has refused (per Flights by Celebrity).   I have spoken with an Air Canada agent who says that it should be allowed since they changed the flight times, but Flights by Celebrity says that when they submit the request due to schedule changes, Air Canada denies the request.  Now, prices for flights from our departure airport to Vancouver are through the roof and the flights we are on don't even show up as a selection.  I'm guessing it is just a very busy travel day and with the discounted flight, Air Canada won't even bother.  I won't be choosing Air Canada in the future, especially if using a travel agent.  I'm happy to be cruising and will just take a nap as soon as I get on board!

48 minutes ago, PennStateMom said:

We booked one way tickets from Pittsburgh to Vancouver last July when Celebrity was running an airfare credit promotion.  Originally, the flight was to arrive at 11:36 pm on Thursday night, the day before the cruise.  I booked a nearby hotel with a shuttle that runs until 12:30 am.  Three times Air Canada has changed the flight arrival time, moving it later until now we are arriving at 12:51 am Friday morning, so now we will have to pay for a taxi/uber to the hotel.  Three times I have requested Flights by Celebrity to ask Air Canada to change our flights to arrive  before midnight and three times Air Canada has refused (per Flights by Celebrity).   I have spoken with an Air Canada agent who says that it should be allowed since they changed the flight times, but Flights by Celebrity says that when they submit the request due to schedule changes, Air Canada denies the request.  Now, prices for flights from our departure airport to Vancouver are through the roof and the flights we are on don't even show up as a selection.  I'm guessing it is just a very busy travel day and with the discounted flight, Air Canada won't even bother.  I won't be choosing Air Canada in the future, especially if using a travel agent.  I'm happy to be cruising and will just take a nap as soon as I get on board!

Air Canada has a flight about every hour to Vancouver, but unfortunately Celebrity air doesn’t have access to them all.  If you are before final payment maybe you should think about not using Celebrity Air & deal directly with Air Canada. When using Celebrity Air you have to be pretty flexible.

Edited by If only
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, If only said:

Air Canada has a flight about every hour to Vancouver, but unfortunately Celebrity air doesn’t have access to them all.  If you are before final payment maybe you should think about not using Celebrity Air & deal directly with Air Canada. When using Celebrity Air you have to be pretty flexible.

I realize that now and only used Celebrity Air because of the flight credit promotion offered. Unfortunately, we are after final payment now.   I'm wondering if we get to Pittsburgh a few hours earlier, whether they would allow same day change to earlier fights.  I've read Air Canada charges for this, but am wondering since they made the schedule changes, whether it might be a possibility to do it without change fees.  

1 hour ago, If only said:

I would be tempted to go back to Celebrity Air & a different person might have a better answer.  Explain that Air Canada said it would be no problem to change. It’s worth a try, good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PennStateMom said:

I've read Air Canada charges for this, but am wondering since they made the schedule changes, whether it might be a possibility to do it without change fees.  

Even if you have to pay a fee, I'd go for it.  We learned the hard way that booking a flight from the east coast to the west for a cruise (arriving a day ahead) didn't allow for weather delays, pilot shortages, and overbooked flights.  We thought we were giving ourselves plenty of time by leaving ATL at 5 PM for a 7:15 PM arrival in LA and embark the next day.  Due to weather and pilot shortages our flight was delayed, delayed, delayed, then cancelled altogether.  We scored the last 2 seats on a Southwest flight leaving early on embarkation day.  We literally made it to the port with minutes to spare...not hyperbole.  Lesson learned...we will never again put our travel plans in the hands of a cruise line air partnership.

• Like 2

Over and over this is discussed.  Celebrity books blocks of seats on certain flights.  Celebrity is NOT a travel agent they are a consolidator.   One needs to learn and be willing to live by those rules when using FBC.

All changes go with the group block.

And yes hopefully ask Air Canada if they can help on your flight day.

Air Canada is one of several airlines where passengers are almost always booked on a discounted group non changeable fare.  Unless a big savings - don't do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, If only said:

I would be tempted to go back to Celebrity Air & a different person might have a better answer.  Explain that Air Canada said it would be no problem to change. It’s worth a try, good luck!

Agree. we never had an issue booking with Choice Air/FBC  in the past.   This last time was a nightmare. Think we had a new person as when I called back, I had a different person and a different answer.  Air Canada it seems, you have to deal with directly to do seat selection. 

a word of advice.  Make sure the CA/FBC rep doesnt change your reservation to US dollars.  Ours did so even baggage, flying out of Toronto, was charged US $.    again. probably a newbie

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

Agree. we never had an issue booking with Choice Air/FBC  in the past.   This last time was a nightmare. Think we had a new person as when I called back, I had a different person and a different answer.  Air Canada it seems, you have to deal with directly to do seat selection. 

a word of advice.  Make sure the CA/FBC rep doesnt change your reservation to US dollars.  Ours did so even baggage, flying out of Toronto, was charged US $.    again. probably a newbie

When you book a flight with Air Canada through Celebrity Air if your booking is in CDN $ the flight will be also.  When booking the seats & baggage through Air Canada as you cannot book them through Celebrity they are always charged in US $ as Celebrity Air is a US based consolidator.  There is no choice.

Edited by If only

9 hours ago, PennStateMom said:

...   I'm wondering if we get to Pittsburgh a few hours earlier, whether they would allow same day change to earlier fights.  I've read Air Canada charges for this, but am wondering since they made the schedule changes, whether it might be a possibility to do it without change fees.  

A bit of a rant.

Many years ago (in the pre-internet era) I had a business trip that finished early. I called Air Canada and asked if I could get on an earlier flight wothout paying change fees. I was told to show up at the airport and ask at check-in. Which I did. The check-in agent was nastily adamant that I needed to pay to change my flight. I called Air Canada call center and spoke to a lovely lady who said that there was a note that I was not to be put on an earlier flight.  At that point I told the call center lady that I now had a lot of hours to waste. She responded that she was not allowed to hang up on a client and she was most likely to be "down sized" soon (Air Canada had just announced that they were going to be cutting staff).  We spent the next 2 hours chatting about a lot of different things. We both enjoyed our time talking. While there are some good Air Canada employees, I hate Air Canada.  If there is an option, I fly with someone else.

Personally I would not expect Air Canada to do anything to accomodate thier clients. I expect just the opposite from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, If only said:

When you book a flight with Air Canada through Celebrity Air if your booking is in CDN $ the flight will be also.  When booking the seats & baggage through Air Canada as you cannot book them through Celebrity they are always charged in US $ as Celebrity Air is a US based consolidator.  There is no choice.

No. not our experience in the past!  . At least 10xs.   Since reservation is Canadian dollars, everything is Canadian dollars.   Even contacting AC and doing seat selection plus baggage, always Canadian dollars.   This is the first time this has happened.   An AC rep said the FBC agent changed it from Canadian to US.     (and when I spoke to a 2nd agent at FBC, he indicated dealing with AC should be in Canadian)

2 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

No. not our experience in the past!  . At least 10xs.   Since reservation is Canadian dollars, everything is Canadian dollars.   Even contacting AC and doing seat selection plus baggage, always Canadian dollars.   This is the first time this has happened.   An AC rep said the FBC agent changed it from Canadian to US.     (and when I spoke to a 2nd agent at FBC, he indicated dealing with AC should be in Canadian)

Interesting, when we have booked the seats online it changes to US pricing.  Maybe we should have been calling it in.  Thx.

To the OP. My guess is your issue is with inexperienced Flights By Celebrity staff.  As the Air Canada rep said, based on AC changing your flights you should have the option to choose a time that works better for you. 

Just like Celebrity reps, not all are created equal.  I’d call back, ask to speak to a supervisor and see if they will make a three way call.  Beforehand choose the specific flight you’d like to be changed to and try a mock booking on the AC website to ensure there are seats in your category. 

On 5/8/2023 at 6:46 AM, PennStateMom said:

23 minutes ago, RickT said:

To the OP. My guess is your issue is with inexperienced Flights By Celebrity staff.  As the Air Canada rep said, based on AC changing your flights you should have the option to choose a time that works better for you. 

Just like Celebrity reps, not all are created equal.  I’d call back, ask to speak to a supervisor and see if they will make a three way call.  Beforehand choose the specific flight you’d like to be changed to and try a mock booking on the AC website to ensure there are seats in your category. 

Perhaps the fact that the change is only a 1 hour and 15 minutes  is a factor?  But it does seem strange that the Air Canada agents implies that it should be a no charge change.  Many airlines  most likely would require one to pay the difference in fare if the change was only an hour.  
I agree if the airlines allows a change without a charge, Celebrity should be able to pass it along.  
The CA’s $200 change fee after the final payment complicates the situation.  

Honestly Air Canada is a nightmare but if lucky enough to speak to a good agent, you might get what you are looking for.  This past winter, we were left stranded by transfer at airport because of delayed flights with Air Canada and we requested a refund to travel agent for the incurred charges to get a taxi to our Hotel since we were supposed to have a free private transfer.  Good luck.  Not planning on using Air Canada to catch a cruise but sometimes, we have no many choices here on East Coast.

I had a flight in September with a change of less than an hour.  Air Canada advised me of the change and included a link to different options if I didn’t like the change in time.  I choose a completely different routing that worked better for me at no charge.  The fact that the AC rep indicated you should not be charged which would indicate there is no issue. 

• Like 2

I'm convinced the issue is with FBC.  I talked to another Air Canada agent today who saw all the time changes (3 so far), and said this should be no issue.  She said she put an "OSI" on the file and said that she had noted Air Canada had authorized a change to "M" class, with earlier flights.  I called FBC, and once again, they had to "refer to ticketing".  This time, though, she said she had marked it as an "escalation" instead of a request.  We'll see if there's any progress this time.  This will make the fifth time I've requested FBC to make a change authorized by Air Canada. 

8 hours ago, RickT said:

This 💯!!!

Get a Supervisor from Flights by Celebrity to assist. Get them to make a 3-way call with Air Canada while you are on the phone. Force the issue long enough, it will get done.

I don't know for sure, but I have to guess the AC policy on schedule changes is the same as American Airlines, just from what you have said.

We had the same issue with FBC & AA last December. Several schedule changes made the original itinerary undesirable. AA repeatedly told me it's no problem to switch, at no charge, but must be done by Celebrity. FBC told me it wasn't possible, despite "claiming" they had called AA to check. AA had no record of hearing from FBC.

I had my TA call FBC while I was on the phone with her. Then she called AA from her cell phone and got it done.

Good luck, PennStateMom!

OMG!  I just logged onto air canada, and now I have the earlier filght AND the later flight.  Praying that this will all come out in the file updates overnight.  Or is that even a thing?  I don't dare call FBC again.  If anything, I will call Air Canada,

Spoke too soon.  Now back to just the original flight arriving at 12;51 AM.  If nothing changes in the next 48 hours, I'll call FBC and ask for a supervisor to explain the problem to me since Air Canada has told me on several occasions that there is no problem with the change.  I did get an email from FBC saying itinerary change, but no details.  I've received these before, but only when Air Canada changed things or after a frustrating phone call just to let me know that they did not change anything.